C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HOW TO REPLACE FRONT DRIVERS SIDE DRIVEAXLE ON C240 4MATIC....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
HOW TO REPLACE FRONT DRIVERS SIDE DRIVEAXLE ON C240 4MATIC....

I have asked the question on how to replace the cv axle on a 2005 c240 4matic. I received some photo instructions but i wanted to post how i was able to do the job. First, loosen large cv axle bolt prior to removing the wheel. You get to this bolt by removing the center mercedes plastic cap in the center of the rim. The tabs easily crack that hold it in place so plan on some crazy glue and the c clip ring falling off. Next, remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove the brake sensor, pull out all the plastic press in tabs for the brake sensor as you want to hang it out of the way along with hanging the caliper out of the way. Next remove the 2 bolts on the upper part of the strut. This will free up the hub/caliper housing, in addition you will need to remove the upper support bar that connects to the strut. The other end of this bar connects to a control arm, sway bar. You can keep the lower ball joint on, you can keep the tie rod end joint on. Next will need to pull the cx axle spindle out of the hub, to do this you can thread the old cv axle bolt you removed in, tap with a 10 pound sledge, you will see the axle come out of the hub. Now comes for the engine side of the axle. Not much room to work. Remove the lower plastic splash gaurd, use a crow bar, breaker bar and tap the housing hard enough so it can click off. Not always easy. You may be hitting it from all angles. You can do it, it will free up. Once it comes off the interm. shaft inspect the c clip. The c-clip sits in the slot on the interm. shaft. The interm. shaft is what you see when the axle comes off. Warning. You may have a heck of a time putting on the new axle as it has a hard time going over the c-clip. You can do it. Center the clip with some grease and your fingers. make sure you have centered it so when you slide the shaft on it goes on, push all the way towards the transaxle till it clicks. Now grab the hub assembly, get the other end of the axle started into the spindle grooves, you wont be able to just push it on the shaft nice a nice a, no no, nothing is easy. Here's how you do it, get the spindle started into the hub, dont cross the grooves, than hand thread the new axle bolt in, use your impact wrench, tighten the bolt, you will see the shaft get pulled into the hub spindle hole!!! Now your axle is in. Push the hub assembly arm back into the strut, gotta play with it a bit to line up the two large bolts, then press in piston to fit over the pads, re-install caliper, re-install the sensor and the rubber mounting brackets. Now that metal rod you disconnected from the top part of the strut wont line up. Don't panic, use a second jack, jack up the cross member by jacking up the lower ball joint, as you jack up you will see the joint bolt on the support rod line up with the hole for the strut. Double check everything. Torque down your bolts. Ready to ride son!
The following users liked this post:
Verasdaddy82 (11-21-2023)
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Might be better to reformat that into groups so it is easier to read than one long indepth paragraph. I kept loosing my place in reading it and even if you an extra line or two between grouped procedures is kindler to my eyes and comprehension
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
GOOD SUGGESTION!
I have asked the question on how to replace the cv axle on a 2005 c240 4matic. I received some photo instructions but i wanted to post how i was able to do the job.

First, loosen large cv axle bolt prior to removing the wheel. You get to this bolt by removing the center mercedes plastic cap in the center of the rim. The tabs easily crack that hold it in place so plan on some crazy glue and the c clip ring falling off.

Next, remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove the brake sensor, pull out all the plastic press in tabs for the brake sensor as you want to hang it out of the way along with hanging the caliper out of the way.

Next remove the 2 bolts on the upper part of the strut. This will free up the hub/caliper housing, in addition you will need to remove the upper support bar that connects to the strut. The other end of this bar connects to a control arm, sway bar. You can keep the lower ball joint on, you can keep the tie rod end joint on.

Next will need to pull the cx axle spindle out of the hub, to do this you can thread the old cv axle bolt you removed in, tap with a 10 pound sledge, you will see the axle come out of the hub.

Now comes for the engine side of the axle. Not much room to work. Remove the lower plastic splash gaurd, use a crow bar, breaker bar and tap the housing hard enough so it can click off. Not always easy. You may be hitting it from all angles. You can do it, it will free up.

Once it comes off the interm. shaft inspect the c clip. The c-clip sits in the slot on the interm. shaft. The interm. shaft is what you see when the axle comes off. Warning. You may have a heck of a time putting on the new axle as it has a hard time going over the c-clip. You can do it. Center the clip with some grease and your fingers. make sure you have centered it so when you slide the shaft on it goes on, push all the way towards the transaxle till it clicks.

Now grab the hub assembly, get the other end of the axle started into the spindle grooves, you wont be able to just push it on the shaft nice a nice a, no no, nothing is easy. Here's how you do it, get the spindle started into the hub, dont cross the grooves, than hand thread the new axle bolt in, use your impact wrench, tighten the bolt, you will see the shaft get pulled into the hub spindle hole!!! Now your axle is in.

Push the hub assembly arm back into the strut, gotta play with it a bit to line up the two large bolts, then press in piston to fit over the pads, re-install caliper, re-install the sensor and the rubber mounting brackets.

Now that metal rod you disconnected from the top part of the strut wont line up. Don't panic, use a second jack, jack up the cross member by jacking up the lower ball joint, as you jack up you will see the joint bolt on the support rod line up with the hole for the strut.

Double check everything. Torque down your bolts. Ready to ride son!
The following users liked this post:
Nektopoli (09-05-2017)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 ml 350, 2003 ml 500
Excellent write up and accurate.

Just one thing to add based on my recent experience. I replaced the drive front CV axle but unlike the old one the new axle did NOT sit flush with the transmission wall. It was locked correctly (clicked over the circliip and would no come out when i pried it out so I knew it was in properly) but there is a gap of about .25 inch... I think this is because the new axle was slightly different from the old one
Old 05-24-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 4Matic
Perfect write up and very god job you have done. Congratulations.

Are there any other users who did axle change himself? Istractional video or photos would be perfect.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes c240 4matic
What size socket?

Hello,
Could you tell me what size socket do you need to remove the main bolt from the axle?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
Nice write up, I have to do both front CV axle and the mounts. Do the mounts at 100K (Miles) so you don't kill the CV axles.

NP