C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

for anyone who lowered their w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
for anyone who lowered their w203

just lowered my c230 on bc racing coilovers an inch from maxing the front out. my problem is I can barely turn the car anymore. I have about half the turning radius i had before. I havent got an alignment yet but i feel i should have much more turning radius than what im having right now. I just dont want to waist the money on an alignment for the steering to still be messed up then have to get another alignment when i do fix the issue. Im afraid i installed the top hats wrong , but there is no griding or clunking so I really have no idea. Just wanted to see if yall went through the same thing im going through or any advice to possibly fix my problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
As far as lowering affecting the steering angle, phister is your guy
I think his car is the most lowered w203 on this forum.

When you jack the front of the car (both wheels in the air) does it give you the full range of steering? Do you see the rub marks on the fender wells etc?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM

c230
Ive been trying to talk to phister but i dont think he gets on much anymore.... I dont see any rubbing or anything like that, and when i drive it just feels like its at full lock, but i cant even get a full rotation out of the steering wheel
Old 08-30-2014, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
its a common issue with lowering the car that much the turning radius diminishes. the angle of the axles and other parts are different so it effects the turning. Thats just how it goes with lowering the car to the extreme. Just be careful with the power steering line on the rack cause its a hardline and I went so lower that it actually rubbed a whole in the line and I had to replace it. but to answer your question YES your steering will not be as good as before. ALSO always do an alignment when messing with any suspension parts.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

c230
Originally Posted by phister
its a common issue with lowering the car that much the turning radius diminishes. the angle of the axles and other parts are different so it effects the turning. Thats just how it goes with lowering the car to the extreme. Just be careful with the power steering line on the rack cause its a hardline and I went so lower that it actually rubbed a whole in the line and I had to replace it. but to answer your question YES your steering will not be as good as before. ALSO always do an alignment when messing with any suspension parts.

yeah i figured the turning radius would deminish since it has done that on my past cars after installing coilovers, but my steering wheel rotations were always the same. Now I cant even get a full rotation out of the wheel (maxes out around 11 0'clock) where as I use to get close to 2 rotations like its hitting on something but i dont see any rubbing signs. I know an alignment will help some but on all my past cars i was still able to turn more than enough before the alignment.

How many rotations can you get out of your steering wheel currently, and do you remember if it was anywhere as bad as mine before you got your alignment? I only ask you because your the only one as low as me and sharing similar wheel specs.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 10:11 AM

c230
well i got an alignment yesterday, and im still having horrible steering issues. my front alignment was barely out when looking at the sheet. phister any input would be great.