C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Brakelabs Powersport DRILLED Rotors... don't buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2K5C230SSMR
Thumbs down Brakelabs Powersport DRILLED Rotors... don't buy

Hey guys, just a heads up. I ordered a set of 4 rotors for my 2005 C230 Sport Sedan complete with pads from Brakelabs on ebay. The picture in the ad shows 4 directional cross drilled rotors, see for yourself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400728418785?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D400728418785%26_rdc%3D1
Unfortunately what i received was a set of directional rear rotors, but two of the same rotor in the front, so that the drill patterns and vent veins swoop in opposite directions. When I called to find out if there was a shipping error, they said that it was not an error. Mercedes only offers 1 part number/rotor for the c230 sport, its the same rotor for both sides.

Well I verified this myself by looking it up online, they were correct, so I can not fault them there. But you should know that if you do plan to order Brakelabs rotors for your C230 (possibly other models), you will have 3 rotors on your vehicle that all swoop in one direction, with one of the fronts in the opposite direction.

What i don't get is while the car comes stock with 1 rotor front, it also comes stock with blank rear rotors. Ok, But if your going to manufacture custom directional drilled rotors for the rear, why would you not offer a matching complete front set? If its about money and tooling, then why not discontinue one of the rear directional rotors? Then that way both wheels on one side of the car at least swoop in the same direction, even if the two sides are different?

Can't return them now, they're already mounted
Old 09-22-2014, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I have always thought that drilled rotors on a street car is simply a fashion statement. You will find cracks in almost any drilled rotor on a Mercedes car. The cracks in most cases are cosmetic and pose no threat braking. Who needs this?

The only mod to brake rotors that is helpful to street cars is to slot the rotor. The slots will perform as a lapping tool for the pads and keep them flat. High end aftermarket rotors often offer slotted rotors for cars that had flat disc's from the factory. ATE and Bosch have offerings in their premium replacement line ups.

Truthfully I have never examined a car on the road to see if the hole pattern swoops in a particular direction. I would not lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Moviela, would slotted rotors eat up the pads faster?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:37 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
Originally Posted by VVF
Moviela, would slotted rotors eat up the pads faster?
no and if you run cryo rotors are supposed to help the longevity too for both the pads and rotors. I like what Frozen Rotors has to say so will be going with them. They also partner with StopTech and have other types (drilled/slotted/both/black finish etc) available than what is only on their site.

dimeified that sucks man A few other brands do the same thing and I will not buy from a company that only manufactures 1 rotor for both sides just because of the venting benefit let alone looks on a drilled/slotted one. Too bad they just used a generic pic stating "photo may vary from actual product"
Old 09-23-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2K5C230SSMR
Originally Posted by Moviela
I have always thought that drilled rotors on a street car is simply a fashion statement. You will find cracks in almost any drilled rotor on a Mercedes car. The cracks in most cases are cosmetic and pose no threat braking. Who needs this?

The only mod to brake rotors that is helpful to street cars is to slot the rotor. The slots will perform as a lapping tool for the pads and keep them flat. High end aftermarket rotors often offer slotted rotors for cars that had flat disc's from the factory. ATE and Bosch have offerings in their premium replacement line ups.

Truthfully I have never examined a car on the road to see if the hole pattern swoops in a particular direction. I would not lose any sleep over it.
The rotors I took off the car were drilled on all 4, all in the same direction (so they couldnt be oem), no cracks anywhere, and were on the verge of deterioration when i swapped them out, so I'm not going to worry about drill hole cracks. I figured "picture may vary" meant in rotor size, or locating hole location, etc... Well on a positive note, the brakes feel great now, so if anybody is interested in the powersport blanks, go for it.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Sorry about your problem, dimeified. For future reference, I would only trust a "real" picture of the actual part on ebay. I would ignore any picture like the one in the ebay ad you referenced. I would also tend not to get parts like that from ebay. I just feel more comfortable getting stuff like that from someone like rmeuropean or autohaus.

Glad they are working for you.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Mercedes brakes tend to be over and above what is necessary, especially if you're not doing any track or autox events, so I'm not surprised that the old drilled rotors held up fine.

I'd have to agree with crawfish on buying parts on ebay.

Good luck with the new parts, and as has been said, don't sweat the small stuff on the rotor work.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
wow moviela, so amg's have crossdrilled rotors for looks, really! cross drilled help in cooling the rotors under heavy breaking, they are not for show they have a function.