C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C320 Blown Upper Radiator Hose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
C320 Blown Upper Radiator Hose

Hi Everyone,

Today the 01 C320 turned 160K miles and all was fine. Drove to Ikea, got there (Woodbridge, I live in Rosslyn for those in the DC area), and on the way back we pulled into the a grocery store parking lot (Bailey's corner) and as we we were pulling in smoke started coming from under the hood.

Popped the hood, and saw the upper radiator hose spitting coolant on to the belt and bottom pan at high pressure. With the engine off for about 1-2 minutes, it stopped leaking. The leaks weren't bad, probably 1/16 of inch in diameter if not less, but a lot was spewing out due to the pressure in the system (had driven 52 miles already). Here are the pics I took then and there. Also see the attached pics.

I proceeded to tow the car home and now I'm contemplating replacing the hose myself. I used the search button, but I still have some follow-up questions:

1. Could this be a symptom of a bigger issue or the hose got a old?
2. Changing the hose doesn't appear to be too hard? Has anyone done it? any pitfalls or suggetions?
3. Do I need clamps and if so what size?
4. Does this hose from RM European appear to have everything I need?
5. Leak spilled quite a bit of coolant on the belt, should I change the belt as well?

Thanks!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails C320 Blown Upper Radiator Hose-coolant-hose.jpg   C320 Blown Upper Radiator Hose-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by flying_whale; 10-11-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Very simple to do yourself make sure you get correct hose I believe they have two different ones for the upper or maybe that was lower hose cant remember.
Doubt it is any other issue but an old hose.
Let me tell you about my experience with my 2001 C320 that had about 200,000 miles at the time. So my car had all original hoses and water pump (thermostat had been done twice) and coolant tank. I made it that far with no issues and decided even though everything was perfect to get a new Graf pump, new hoses, new tank, new thermostat and have a party replacing everything as a maintenance experience instead of a breakdown experience. This gives you 1 peace of mind and 2 let you order snail mail form rmeuromean or your favorite parts store to save money.
I would also recommend if you haven't checked all the pulleys to do that as well as get a new belt and tensioner put on the car as the belt got covered in fluid and I have heard that it is bad (don't quote me on that) but either way the belt is probably older and the tensioner is probably original.
To get the car back on the road get a few good quality stainless hose clamps from any parts store and the hose and then save your pennies and order the above parts and then call me up and I will help you do it all

I miss my w203

Last edited by samaritrey; 10-20-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
359e00a1@opayq.com
at 185k i decided to go all in and replaced all the hoses, new rad, new water pump and new thermostat. the new blue MBZ coolant is 25 bucks, but at this point i wasn't going to compromise. i was just going to replace the hoses when the rad broke right after they were delivered, a sign that i should just go ahead and make the whole coolant system fresh.