C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 C280 4Matic
Alignment

Hi all. Been lurking on this forum for a while and gleaning all sorts of useful information. I finally have a question --

Bought 4 new tires (stock 245/45R17) and took the car to a dealer for alignment. They corrected toe but said camber is not fixable. From searching the forum, it seems like it may be fixable with a camber kit (ghostrider's?). Wondering if someone could look at the attached specs and see if a kit would be worthwhile or a waste of money to have it installed.

The car seems to pull to the right at times. Not sure if the specs support that feeling.

2007 C280 4matic, 113km, all stock.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Alignment-align0002.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
These cars are designed to pull to the R in the stock configuration. (for LHD models)

You only need camber adjustment if the car has been lowered by a huge amount. Otherwise it's almost not even worth the trouble.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by slammer111
These cars are designed to pull to the R in the stock configuration. (for LHD models)

You only need camber adjustment if the car has been lowered by a huge amount. Otherwise it's almost not even worth the trouble.
Mine pulls to the right a bit, interesting to read this. Was there a reason why they do it?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
^ They do this so that in case you are incapacitated, you drive into the ditch instead of causing a head-on crash.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by slammer111
^ They do this so that in case you are incapacitated, you drive into the ditch instead of causing a head-on crash.
No way! That is a first if I ever heard one. Here I was thinking maybe my car had some chassis damage, some bad parts up front, something!

Last alignment did a great job with it, but I still felt an oh so light pull right. I'll be damned. Good to know!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
They are not designed to pull to the right with the camber of the road. That is an old wives tale.

I have written about this frequently on this forum. If the car pulls to the passenger side with the camber of the road then dial in 1 more degree castor (max 2) on the passenger side of the car & it will track straight. There is a dealer bulletin out on this which everybody ignores. Typically 9.6 & 10.6 degrees.

Castor & camber require the 3 way fluted bolt kit to adjust ~ cheap!

EDIT ~ Every tyre & alignment shop in SA has had this beaten into them by MBSA & even carry the bolt kits. In fairness Benz market share is huge here whereas it's small in the US.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:56 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by pch2004
Bought 4 new tires (stock 245/45R17) and took the car to a dealer for alignment. They corrected toe but said camber is not fixable. From searching the forum, it seems like it may be fixable with a camber kit (ghostrider's?). Wondering if someone could look at the attached specs and see if a kit would be worthwhile or a waste of money to have it installed.

Fact is “Full front and rear wheel alignment” is no more! K-MAC kits allow Full adjustment Front and Rear.

Since the mid ‘90 model’s, with the ever increasing speed of vehicle assembly lines there has been no front or rear Camber (or front Caster) adjustment facility fitted OEM

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe!

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve costly premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, and fix steering pull the only current alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts (for the front only). But these are inaccurate - one only position bolts - offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm / 1/8”).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem!

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front (and rear) suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of these one only position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these one position bolts they can be accurately adjusted on car(under load) direct on alignment turntable (no need for labor intensive removal/replacement each time).

Providing ongoing full, precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage or being able to quickly fine tune/change specs on race days (extra Negative/plus track width to go deeper into the corners/lower lap times). With the unique K-MAC patented design only requiring use of a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment (with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility). Importantly unlike the alternative rear adjustable Camber control arms available K-MAC kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing essential clearance top of tire to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also instead of spherical bearings as used on control arms which prematurely pound out allowing metal to metal contact. At K-MAC we have developed long life elastomer bushings.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are also designed with twice the load bearing area and replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.

Note (Product background re bushings): Majority OEM bushes have air voids to allow 2 axis movement. So control arms can travel through their required arcs without binding, locking up.

Essential with today’s modern designs of “multi-link” arms with different angle mount points!

Yet most “aftermarket” replacement bushes the industry standard is to eliminate these air voids in an attempt to improve both steering response and reduce wheel hop, loss of traction under brake and acceleration.

The opposite is often the case – the elimination of the air voids causes even more severe wheel hop, loss of traction through binding, locking up of arms.

K-MAC bushes – with 50 years now of bush technology are designed without the air voids but where needed with “full 2 axis movement”. Result is power to the ground – maximum traction/acceleration/braking - along with noticeably improved directional control and steering response for highway driving, lane changing.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

The K-Mac solution is the most elegant. But I have never experienced any problem whatsoever in aligning a Benz to spec with the 3 Way fluted bolts including dialing in additional castor.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
do you have the part number for 19C bolt?

My outside edges of the front tires always wear down compared to the rest of the tread
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
They are not designed to pull to the right with the camber of the road. That is an old wives tale.

I have written about this frequently on this forum. If the car pulls to the passenger side with the camber of the road then dial in 1 more degree castor (max 2) on the passenger side of the car & it will track straight. There is a dealer bulletin out on this which everybody ignores. Typically 9.6 & 10.6 degrees.

Castor & camber require the 3 way fluted bolt kit to adjust ~ cheap!

EDIT ~ Every tyre & alignment shop in SA has had this beaten into them by MBSA & even carry the bolt kits. In fairness Benz market share is huge here whereas it's small in the US.

Good to know, I think I'll go give this info to the Firestone guy who did my alignment and see if it helps!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Boom vang
do you have the part number for 19C bolt?

My outside edges of the front tires always wear down compared to the rest of the tread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Thanks Glyn

how are the Febi Bilstein part compared to the MB OEM?

Last edited by Boom vang; 11-12-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

All the same!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 PM

c230 SS kompressor
my car is still pulling to the right after new set of tires, driver's side lower control arm and 3 alignments..... he check front brakes(possible seizure), every suspension component and found nothing.... I am not really familiar with alignment and its components.... do I just buy above kit for both front and have him install this and do another alignment???
Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yes! All they can adjust without the bolts is front toe.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 AM

c230 SS kompressor
Originally Posted by neurodave
Good to know, I think I'll go give this info to the Firestone guy who did my alignment and see if it helps!
hey neurodave,

were you able to fix the pulling??
Old 11-25-2014, 11:12 AM

c230 SS kompressor
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Yes! All they can adjust without the bolts is front toe.
Thanks Glyn,

I will order those two bolts and take it to the shop for final(hopefully) alignment....
Old 11-25-2014, 11:14 AM

c230 SS kompressor
Glyn,

Just to make it clear....

Do I need 2 bolts per side? total of 4?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Originally Posted by cdaeng2
hey neurodave,

were you able to fix the pulling??
Nope. It is a whole lot better, but it still pulls to the right. It is more evident the bigger the crowning on the road or if it's slanted a bit (the latter I assume would be a normal reaction to the road.)

I'm all out of ideas and have just come to the idea of getting used to it. After 2 alignments, one after replacing my wheel hubs and bearings, I don't want to spend another dime on an alignment, unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM

c230 SS kompressor
Nope. It is a whole lot better, but it still pulls to the right. It is more evident the bigger the crowning on the road or if it's slanted a bit (the latter I assume would be a normal reaction to the road.)

I'm all out of ideas and have just come to the idea of getting used to it. After 2 alignments, one after replacing my wheel hubs and bearings, I don't want to spend another dime on an alignment, unless absolutely necessary.
So how much did you end up spending?? did they charge you for new bolts?alignment?

I will be going in for 4th alignment as soon as I receive these bolts....

Also did they provide you with printout after each alignment?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:02 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
So how much did you end up spending?? did they charge you for new bolts?alignment?

I will be going in for 4th alignment as soon as I receive these bolts....

Also did they provide you with printout after each alignment?
First time I got an alignment, was when I first got the car. Again, it alleviated the situation, but it didn't fix it.

Second time I had no choice but to get an alignment because they took it all apart to replace the bearings and hubs. The price for everything was pretty steep, the alignment alone was $90, which seems to be standard just about everywhere.

I do have the print out of the latest alignment. I'm gonna upload it later, maybe it can help you, and it can help someone help me.

Maybe I'll give these bolts a shot and get one last alignment.

Do shops like Firestone normally do this? Or just a standard alignment without the camber bolts?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:12 PM

c230 SS kompressor
First time I got an alignment, was when I first got the car. Again, it alleviated the situation, but it didn't fix it.

Second time I had no choice but to get an alignment because they took it all apart to replace the bearings and hubs. The price for everything was pretty steep, the alignment alone was $90, which seems to be standard just about everywhere.

I do have the print out of the latest alignment. I'm gonna upload it later, maybe it can help you, and it can help someone help me.

Maybe I'll give these bolts a shot and get one last alignment.

Do shops like Firestone normally do this? Or just a standard alignment without the camber bolts?
Yeah, post the printout of your last alignment.... Glyn will help us all
I will also let you know when my parts are in....
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Here is my printout. Looks like the camber on the right side (the side that pulls) is off, and actually got a bit worse after the alignment.

Could this be the cause of my pull, and how can I fix it?!
Attached Thumbnails Alignment-mercalignment-page-001.jpg   Alignment-mercalignment-page-002.jpg  
Old 11-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Glyn,

Just to make it clear....

Do I need 2 bolts per side? total of 4?
Yes!
Old 11-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Here is my printout. Looks like the camber on the right side (the side that pulls) is off, and actually got a bit worse after the alignment.

Could this be the cause of my pull, and how can I fix it?!
It will always pull with Castor at 10/10

Get the bolts & get it aligned properly. Both castor and camber

My average settings on my C240 were

Castor 9deg 50' ~ 10deg 50'
Toe 0.6/0.6
Camber 0deg 24'/0deg 24'

Rear correct toe.

Tyres Michelin PS2 235/45/17 all round. The wider the tyre the more likely to pull.

Zero pull.

Tyres wore very nicely too.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 11-27-2014 at 04:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alignment