C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine Oil Dipstick Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes C280 4MATIC
Engine Oil Dipstick Location

So I know this has been covered a million times, but I still haven't been able to find an exact answer to my question.

I have a 2006 C280 4MATIC. This this is what it looks like under the hood:

There is only one dipstick that I can find, which is located near the front of the car. This particular dipstick "appears" to run into the engine, although it's possible I'm wrong about that:

There is also what looks like a dipstick tube between the engine and the firewall on the passenger side. This only has a cap on it, and "appears" to run into the transmission. Again, however, I could be wrong about this:

From what I've been reading, on the 06-07 models they did away with the electronic oil checker in the MFD and instead have an actual dipstick for the engine oil. The owner's manual says this dipstick is supposed to be the one between the engine and the firewall, however if this is the case why is there only a cap on it? On top of that, from looking at other w203 (not c280 4matic) oil change DIYs that I've found, it appears as if the engine oil dipstick tube is indeed the one located near the firewall. But then why does that tube appear to head towards the transmission, and the tube that actually has a dipstick in it appear to head towards the bottom of the engine? As you guys can see, I'm thoroughly confused. I'm hoping you guys can clarify some of this for me.

Thanks!

DT
Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
The black cap with the red tab is the transmission fill tube. The top one appears to be the engine oil dipstick. Someone with the same MY vehicle as you may be able to chime in better.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 AM

2006 Mercedes C280 4MATIC
Thank you for the response. Am I correct in assuming then that the oil extractor tube goes down the dipstick hole?

Is anyone with a 4matic able to chime in to confirm?