C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

White substance - oil filler cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
White substance - oil filler cap

Another week, another adventure with this thing....

I went out just now to add some oil to my car (I checked it in dyno mode and noticed it was about 3/4 of a quart lower than its normal amount, it's been about 5K miles since last oil change) and I unscrew the cap and see a light smudging on the cap, and the rim of the filler of a white substance. It is dark, and stupid me left my phone in the house, but I smelled it and it smells like just oil on the cap and coming from the engine. I haven't had any warnings of coolant being low (other than at times when the windshield fluid is low, which I fill up and goes away) and looking at the coolant tank it looks like it's at the same level it has been. There has been no overheating, no CELs, nothing.

I will be honest though, I am freaking out a bit. When I'm driving I don't see any huge amounts of exhaust fumes all the time, but I do see them either when it's really cold, or when it's very rainy out. I have caught note to the exhaust fumes, but since it isn't a persistent thing, I haven't made a big deal of it. I assumed it's just the weather, it's been very up-and-down lately.

We just had a huge ice storm here in Jersey (over 500 accidents Sunday alone) and the temperatures have been going from teens, to high 40s, and back down, so I am hoping it is just some sort of condensation.

But honestly, I'm worried.

I added the oil the car needed, wiped some of the white stuff off, and put the cap back on. I will be checking it again tomorrow.

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

(Note: I checked my oil early-December, and noticed no white smudges on the oil cap, or the edges. I also had an oil change early-November, and there was no mention of the oil having any issues)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Probably condensation -- more likely in colder weather when your daily drive isn't enough to boil it all out of the crankcase.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
Would letting it sit to warm up for too long be bad as well? I like to turn on the car and wait anywhere between 8-10 minutes for it to get to a decent temperature before I drive. My commute 5 times a week is roughly 19 miles one way, about 25 min drive in the morning and then another 30-35 in the evening. Would that be considered short drives?

Thank for the reply!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Giving the engine a little warm up time should help. My preference is to occasionally take the long way home to give it a good run.
I'm new to MB also, but I've seen some cars in my past have issues with clogging the oil separator in the crankcase vent system. What engine do you have? I'm sure the someone on the forum will have experience with it.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 AM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
I went out this morning and cleaned what I didn't get to last night. It was only small dabs on the cap, and the upper edge of the filler. With some more lighting, I didn't see any of the white stuff heading down the filler tube, and the oil in there smells fine. No warnings, coolant level looks fine, no over heating (high 70s - low 80s highway, high 80s - low 90s city).

I'm just going to keep an eye on it and stop freaking out, Lol.

Also, my engine is the M113 3.2L V6, which from my research, is not very prone to head gasket issues. Fairly bullet proof engine, with proper maintenance. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
its condensation that mixes with oil. the filler cap is the highest point in the engine and the condensation sits up there and doesn't burn off until you get the motor pretty hot.