C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2007 C230S Passenger Mirror Repair Success

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
230S
Red face 2007 C230S Passenger Mirror Repair Success

First - thanks to various threads, I felt confident to reverse wifey's damage.

Wifey hyper-extended pass mirror backing out of our garage (not the first garage mishap btw but it's her car. I just get to fix it).

Symptom was no mirror turn signal and the tell-tale rapid signal solenoid clicking.

I assumed the LED was whacked and proceeded to scour these threads for dis-assembly guidance.

Per threads, I learned how to adjust the mirror in and down, hook the retainer spring, disconnect dimmer lead, then carefully wiggle and pull the mirror glass from its retainer snaps. To me, reattaching glass seemed liked guess work too but finally found the sweet spot.

Here's the interesting part. I noticed the entire mirror housing was separated from door rubber seat by about 1/4 inch. I assumed the wifey's hyper-extention damaged the hinges but they looked fine.

So I guessed the mirror housing was already past the retainer clip and gently pulled it straight off without having to push and hold mirror to release the clip.

Thank God because I can hardly see it now let alone get a good picture to post for you. But there's a chromed-steel flat spring clip with a slot that a standard small screw driver could be used to compress but I think you'll need another set of gentle hands to nudge off the housing.

Thanks to all who take the time to post!!!

Last edited by kavekreeker; 02-28-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
230S
LED Strip

Forgot an important part:

Since mirror housing was hyper-extended, the LED strip, which is attached to housing, was disconnected from its connector on the main assembly, thus LED no-workie. After I pulled the housing, I removed LED strip and plugged it in, and viola, it worked.

I was worried about how the plug re-inserts but the receiving connector has travel guides so when pushing the mirror housing back onto the main assembly, the receiving LED molex connector guides the housing connector right into place. Whew!