C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Upper Radiator Hose Leak- Help Appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Upper Radiator Hose Leak- Help Needed.

Howdy, all~

Longtime lurker, first-time poster. The other day, I turned off my '03 C230 Coupe after a ~30 minute drive which ascended about 3000' feet and included a ~0.8 mile slight rough dirt road section (which I took very, very slowly).

As soon as I got out of the car, I smelled coolant. I had my radiator replaced a few weeks ago (by a 20+ year MB mechanic), and figured it had something to do with that, but when I opened the hood, I saw that coolant was dripping from the upper radiator hose, where it attaches to the thermostat housing cover. (Photo attached, below.)

Once the engine had cooled, I found that the hose did not have a snug fit where it connected to the thermostat housing cover. I had no tools with me at the time, and was unable to remove the clip that holds the hose in place. I bought a new radiator hose, installed it, and found that the new hose has a similarly loose connection.

I have not started the car since replacing the hose, and I would be sincerely grateful for any and all help here.

My questions:

1.) How snug should the connection between the radiator hose and the thermostat housing be? Should I be able to wiggle the hose, or should it be very snug?

2.) Assuming that, as I believe, this is not a radiator hose issue, what else should I be considering? I don't believe that an inoperative thermostat would cause this kind of leak, but it is entirely possible that I am wrong.

3.) Any other thoughts, input, etc.?

Once again, many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Upper Radiator Hose Leak- Help Appreciated!-img_1085.jpg  

Last edited by verve825; 05-17-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
It should be snug but and not come out but that style connection is going to have some play in it.
If the thermostat went bad you should be getting a CEL or notice a temperature issue.
If I understand right you have replaced the hose but haven't tested to see if it fixed it right? The gasket it on the hose so I bet it is fixed the leak so test it and let us know.

No offense but any experienced mechanic should have replaced all the hoses on your car when doing the radiator they are from late 2002 its time. They are not that expansive and it really sucks to get stranded somewhere as MB hoses are not usually in stock at the local parts stores. Also the coolant expansion tank should be replaced as they are known to rupture/crack when they get old.

Last edited by samaritrey; 05-17-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230
Sincere thanks, Samaritrey, for your response!

The issue is that the new hose seems to be just as "wiggly" as the old hose. I looked very closely at the old hose, and the gasket/O-ring seems to be in good shape, and it looks exactly the same as the new hose. I',m concerned that their may be some obstruction that is causing the leak, but will start the engine today and report back with what happens.

For sure, they should have replaced the hoses and the expansion tank when they replaced the radiator; I am not super happy with the work they did, even if they have been working on MBs for years.

Once again, real thanks for your time and input,

Regards,

Jeff