C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C350
Transmission oil change

hello folks, im seeking your help here i cant decide whether to change my tranny oil + seal + filter. Ive read that these trannys are sealed for life, so i was changing my engines oil today and did a check up on the transmission oil, its color was some how black and the indy recommended to change the filter and seal with 4 liters on transmission oil , i drive a c230 komp 2005 sedan and it has around 191k miles on it , never did a transmission oil before , id appreciate any help here from you guys.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The points that need careful consideration are that you need a dipstick to measure the amount of fluid in the transmission, it takes a very long time to drain with the pan removed, and you should change the electrical connector seal while the fluid is out.

The precise level of the fluid is critical for correct operation of the transmission. The dipstick is the only sure way to know you have the correct amount.

When you remove the pan there will be a big whoosh of fluid that pours out of the box. That takes a few seconds. Then you have to be patient while the rest of the old fluid makes it way out of the gear sets. If you can leave it overnight, that is best.

While the box is draining change the connector seal. It is cheap compared to a transmission module full of fluid. I don't know why the Germans can't design an oil seal that works, but it is best to keep an eye on any electrical connection to an engine or transmission. Now is the time to make the pan dinner plate clean along with anything else you can see.

Refill measuring carefully and you should be good to go.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by Moviela
The points that need careful consideration are that you need a dipstick to measure the amount of fluid in the transmission, it takes a very long time to drain with the pan removed, and you should change the electrical connector seal while the fluid is out.

The precise level of the fluid is critical for correct operation of the transmission. The dipstick is the only sure way to know you have the correct amount.

When you remove the pan there will be a big whoosh of fluid that pours out of the box. That takes a few seconds. Then you have to be patient while the rest of the old fluid makes it way out of the gear sets. If you can leave it overnight, that is best.

While the box is draining change the connector seal. It is cheap compared to a transmission module full of fluid. I don't know why the Germans can't design an oil seal that works, but it is best to keep an eye on any electrical connection to an engine or transmission. Now is the time to make the pan dinner plate clean along with anything else you can see.

Refill measuring carefully and you should be good to go.
True, need the connector seal changed aswell so first thanks for reminding me my friend . So it is totally safe to change the transmission oil although its stated by mercedes that its sealed for life?!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:19 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by Cruel-Merc
True, need the connector seal changed aswell so first thanks for reminding me my friend . So it is totally safe to change the transmission oil although its stated by mercedes that its sealed for life?!
sealed for 'life'. Life of what? Life of transmission/car/owner/...
is it really sealed?

Or you can change fluid and prolong that 'life' of the transmission.