C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230 Kompressor electrical issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor
2005 C230 Kompressor electrical issues

I have a couple things going on right now with my car, but I'm curious to know how often should the side marker lamps/parking lamps/etc. go out. I've only had my car about three years and I have had to replace a lot of bulbs, which I think is not normal. Also, at times my rear brake/parking light will flicker (and people will actually bring it to my attention) but it doesn't do it all the time. Ongoing issue is with my side mirrors (the led turn signal lights) My message will tell me mirror blinker led light is out. Then a couple days later it isn't out. Same thing with the passenger side. But now, my sunroof is not closing automatically when I hit the button to close it. It will stop halfway through and open (go back) again. I have to hold the button until it closes all the way or it will not close and it seems like its dragging when I open it. It does open automatically still, but when I go to close it is when the problem occurs. And last but not least, changed the license plate bulb, because message said it was out, but after replacing it, it still gives me message its out and it will flicker periodically but not stay on.

Any insight, recommendations or thoughts greatly appreciated. I'm just worried that these issues could be the beginning of some serious electrical problems.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Side marker bulb------my take is that you have run into a bad set of bulbs!!

Mirror closing---my take is bad switch!!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re-synch the sunroof, just to make sure that it's not that easy. If you're lucky, that's all you need. If not, trust me, MB sunroof repairs are not for the faint of heart.

The mirrors - I had that problem for a while, and others have too. I ended up replacing my mirror caps, and the situation went away. Meaning that it was a problem with the light strip, not the internal lighting. So if it persists, I'd swap out for some new light strips for the mirrors.

The front SAM going bad is my usual answer for your other problems. Could be the rear SAM as well. Probably worth the money if you have no interest in getting more familiar with your electronics in your car (and who could blame you ) is to take it to a good indy and let them do a diagnosis of the modules. Or live with the problem - that would buy a hell of a lot of bulbs.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor
Smile 2005 C230 Kompresssor - a few questions

Thank you. Here's a couple more issues I'm having. Any helpful/useful information or recommendations, again greatly appreciated.

(1) when I accelerate from a stop I hear a rattling noise that seems like its coming from underneath the passenger side. It stops rattling after a few seconds, but it seems like it has been getting louder lately. Any thoughts on what that can be?
(2) Excessive brake dust on front wheels. Ever since the brake pads were replaced, there is a lot of brake dust on my rims. I pretty much wipe them off everyday.. and it is very noticeable and its annoying because I like to keep my car looking nice. My mechanic tells me the dust is from the softer pads. Should I insist on ceramic brake pads?
(3) A/C shuts off completely. Sometimes (during the summer mostly) when I would have the a/c running, all of a sudden it will shut off. it just did the same thing yesterday when I had the front and rear defrost/heater on. Is that an indication something is wrong? And when the A/C is on, it seems like the condenser/fan (not sure what it is exactly) is three times louder than it normally is. I know that I want it to be running when A/C is on, but its SUPER loud. and lastly,
(4) Are struts "shocks". I've been told I needs to replace my struts (approx. $800)!! Is that a reasonable cost?

Again, I really appreciate the time of all who respond. This is an awesome forum for people like me to really get more educated and information on our vehicle (which I love so much)

Originally Posted by tommy
Re-synch the sunroof, just make sure that it's not that easy. If you're lucky, that's all you need. If not, trust me, MB sunroof repairs are not for the faint of heart.

The mirrors - I had that problem for a while, and others have too. I ended up replacing my mirror caps, and the situation went away. Meaning that it was a problem with the light strip, not the internal lighting. So if it persists, I'd swap out for some new light strips for the mirrors.

The front SAM going bad is my usual answer for your other problems. Could be the rear SAM as well. Probably worth the money if you have no interest in getting more familiar with your electronics in your car (and who could blame you ) is to take it to a good indy and let them do a diagnosis of the modules. Or live with the problem - that would buy a hell of a lot of bulbs.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Yes. If you want less brake dust, ceramic pads are the only way to go.
Could be the heat shield you're hearing rattle. That would be my first step.
Yes, I'd go ahead and assume that you have a problem with the A/C, probably the condenser. Have you had it charged? It could be simply that it needs to be charged, but I'd assume something messier.
W203s take struts, not shocks, but basically same thing. What are you looking for, oem replacement, or something better? It might be a good time to consider an upgrade from stock, like Koni yellows, for example, but I don't know your budget. Good place to start shopping is Tirerack.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
+1 on tirerack they will have the Akebono ceramics as well as the koni yellows which are great and they almost always have the best price on both. Also check Amazon as they have had some really good deals on both Akebono pads and konis in the past.

How many miles are on the car and why do they say the struts are bad Leaking?

As for the AC could be many things such as a bad pressure switch or just low pressure would have to test a few things which a star machine would probably be very helpful.