C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Very Rough Idle after ATF change - did

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 M271 2003 C230 Kompressor
Very Rough Idle after ATF change - did

I need some serious help please!

Long story short, I decided to flush ATF at 222,000km today...

While I was trying to confirm that the torque converter doesn't have a drain plug (MB dealership insisted that my 2003 C230K has a drain plug according to the vin), so I was turning the torque converter counter-clockwise (careless mistake - got disoriented under the car, when viewed as if I was in front of the car looking toward the rear) while the car was park.

Heard something CLICK while turning the torque converter about a half turn...didn't think too much of its but stopped it there. And release banjo bolt instead for the flush.

Once I turned the car over, the engine run very rough at idle, car still accelerate, and shifting was fine. First, I thought that the ATF was filled too low, but corrected the level after 40 km run, acceleration and constant speed was fine, deceleration and coasting were a bit rough, stopping in traffic - the car was stalling.

Regardless wether in park or reverse or neutral or drive, engine shaking, stalling and rough idle.
Pulled code p0010 camshaft position actuator circuit open,
p0300 p0302 p0304, random and cyc 1&2 misfiring.

Had the $12 vacuums hose replaced in 2014, and checked the condition a month ago - still good.

I also switched two cam shaft sensor around, inspected coil pack, spark plug, MAF.

So everything now has sat in, wondering if I have caused the timing chain to skip a teeth, or damaged chain tensioner? What's the best way to check? Am I in for a timing chain change? Did I bend a valve? Please help, and thank you.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 AM

Pulled the valve cover off afterwork today, TC don't have much play, no visible sagging at least - a good sign i hope.

The sprockets does have shinny wear, but still pretty sharp on the top.

Need to buy a crankshaft pulley holder to crank through check the actual timing.

Will make sure rotation is clockwise this time

Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM

Jumped 3 teeth on intake cam

Intake jumped 3 teeth, hope the valves survived. Will order new tensioner and new chain, TC project on the weekend.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Wow that sucks hope it turns out okay.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 C320
Let me start by saying I am not a licensed certified or anything MB tech. I am however a tech for another company, and engines are engines so just wanted that disclaimer.

I wish i had acess to my shop data base but im not there and my boss kind of yelled at me a few months back for using form my personal PC, but anyway you pulled your codes and yes that they are P0300 comes up anytime there is multiple cylinder missing during the drive cycle. Not actually looking at your car it sounds like while turning the TC you might have knocked the cam actuators out of sync. This is where i wish i had my info to make sure that can even be done when messing with TC and if it means you need new actuators or not that's i am not sure of.

This part however i am fairly sure of. When that happens on the domestic cars i work on (that cam actuator code that is) Most of the time the actuator needs replaced and you have to program them with a scan tool for the engine run correctly. So just swapping them around is not going to change anything. Your engine control module is still confused as to what is going on. Also i believe your engine is interference type design. Meaning when the valves open they occupy the same space as the piston and if the timing goes then so does the engine. So its running down the road alright and just idling rough i am pretty sure timing is not the issue.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 AM

Fixed!

Drives like a champ!

Originally Posted by tags

Intake jumped 3 teeth, hope the valves survived. Will order new tensioner and new chain, TC project on the weekend.

Adjusted the timing back to where it should be - had to release the chain tensioner to creat enough slack. <br/><br/>Learnt: don't ever rotate your crankshaft Counter Clockwise. <br/><br/>Will do the TC change soon. Brought the Febi kit with chain, guides and tensioner. Just don't have to time to do it now.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Wow sounds like you got lucky glad it worked out