C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

transmition fluid into engine oil mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w124, w203 , w204
transmition fluid into engine oil mistake

hi guys experts opinion needed here.. i took my w203 c180k with m271 engine for a service to local garage. in their procedure they had to check the transmition fluid if dirty...so they flushed the transmition fluid which was 4 litre and clean..the new hired guy was was working on my car so accidentally he put the oil into engine instead of tranny because the dip stick of engine oil and transmition fluid are very close to each other on m271. well no one noticed that. i took the car out of garage and after driving 10 - 15 km,s i got message on screen "reduce engine oil" with red screen. than suddenly car went into limp mode. i parked it and put it into neutral and then again drive..it started working... then i called the garage and they said we are closed now bring the car in morning. i live 60km away from the garage. so i went home and the car went 7 to 10 times into limp.. in the morning i came back to garage, when they asked the guy where you put the oil , he put his fingre on engine oil dip stick location.
on scanner the car was giving P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio code...

well they flushed the engine oil , it was like above 8 litres. and flushed the tranny , some how there was still 2 litres [ may be from torque converter]. new engine oil and trans fluid were filled , i still had to pay for the fluids . codes were washed .i took the car for test drive and everything came to normal no issues were suspected...
now do i need to do anything else because i dont want to loose tranny or engine , i drove the car like 120km,s with 4 litres of tranny fluid in engine and only 2 litre tran fluid in transmition .
Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
You're lucky you didn't destroy your engine and transmission. I would threaten suit unless you get ALL your money back. They made you pay? Ridiculous. I wonder how many of these horror shows have to happen before people just pay the extra for a certified technician.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
People freak out when they're 0.5L over in the oil reservoir. You drove it with 4L over. Not much you can do now, other than possibly another engine oil change to hopefully get rid of whatever transmission fluid is still in the engine.

The good news is that tranny fluid is also a lubricant, so the damage may actually be minimal. In many motorcycles, the engine and tranny use the same fluid in one single reservoir, so it's actually not unheard of. Many cars also use engine oil as tranny fluid. For your situation it's likely that there is a wee bit of damage, but nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on the codes over the next few weeks. If no more codes are thrown, you probably got away with it.

Compare that to coolant (water based and non-lubricating) in the engine oil, which would result in a very bad day.

Last edited by slammer111; 05-02-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
So you paid for the initial transmission service and then they made you pay for the oil change and transmission flush? Did they change the transmission filter?
WTF that was a mistake by them not you they should eat the cost plus prey your transmission or engine don't go out. Also they obviously didn't check the trans fluid level after the first round did you verify they have a 722.6 dip stick to check the fluid level properly?

Also in the future get a tow if your car goes into limp mode and you don't know why.

Last edited by samaritrey; 05-02-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM

w124, w203 , w204
Originally Posted by Holmes5518
You're lucky you didn't destroy your engine and transmission. I would threaten suit unless you get ALL your money back. They made you pay? Ridiculous. I wonder how many of these horror shows have to happen before people just pay the extra for a certified technician.
true .the problem is we dont have any certified workshop in city. these guys are very good i never had had any issues with my previous mercedes cars or present. this was their first mistake on my car but major mistake.you are right i got lucky otherwise engines are very expensive
Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM

w124, w203 , w204
Originally Posted by slammer111
People freak out when they're 0.5L over in the oil reservoir. You drove it with 4L over. Not much you can do now, other than possibly another engine oil change to hopefully get rid of whatever transmission fluid is still in the engine.

The good news is that tranny fluid is also a lubricant, so the damage may actually be minimal. In many motorcycles, the engine and tranny use the same fluid in one single reservoir, so it's actually not unheard of. Many cars also use engine oil as tranny fluid. For your situation it's likely that there is a wee bit of damage, but nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on the codes over the next few weeks. If no more codes are thrown, you probably got away with it.

Compare that to coolant (water based and non-lubricating) in the engine oil, which would result in a very bad day.
thanks , yes i will definitely flush it again after couple of days. i also purchased obd ii reader from ebay . i checked it and there were no codes. i will check it every day now lol... and after 2 weeks by star computer . strange thing is i went for a drive today , the car felt very powerfull and engine was silent like brand new car.. may be due to trans , throttle and ecu reset.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM

w124, w203 , w204
Originally Posted by samaritrey
So you paid for the initial transmission service and then they made you pay for the oil change and transmission flush? Did they change the transmission filter?
WTF that was a mistake by them not you they should eat the cost plus prey your transmission or engine don't go out. Also they obviously didn't check the trans fluid level after the first round did you verify they have a 722.6 dip stick to check the fluid level properly?

Also in the future get a tow if your car goes into limp mode and you don't know why.
yes i paid the first sevice and paid for the fluids again . they didnt had the dip stick , that is why they flushed it to check manually . you are right i should have towed the car instead of driving it.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Thats crazy I would have been not so kind if this was my car.
I would order a dipstick and check the level yourself as it is so important and a 722.6 dipstick can be found online fairly cheap.

Last edited by samaritrey; 05-02-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:17 PM

w124, w203 , w204
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Thats crazy I would have been not so kind if this was my car.
Okay I would order a dipstick and check the level yourself as it is so important and a 722.6 dipstick can be found online fairly cheap.
thanks... i will order it asap

Last edited by zk124; 05-02-2016 at 03:32 PM.