C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

17" Oz Ultralegerra and Conti Extreme Contacf DWS 06 review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
17" Oz Ultralegerra and Conti Extreme Contacf DWS 06 review

Hi All,
Just installed this set up with 17" Oz wheels with conti tire. The wheels are the lightest I could find, and the contis appeared to be the best ultra high performance tires that maintain ride quality. I went from 18" heavy amg wheels with older tires, to the lighter 17" set up. Note my goal was to maximize ride and performance, hence the shift to 17".

First day on this set up and I am disappointed. Expected that the huge reduction in wheel weight, at least 10 pounds less per wheel would result in noticeable performance increase. But I really can't tell a difference.

Also the set up feels a little bouncy. I don't get it, how could a ultra high performance tire be bouncy?

There is also a little tire spin upon hard acceleration, which I didn't expect.

Ride is improved, but that is to be expected going from 18" to 17".

I do miss the look of my 18" amg wheels.

Perhaps my expectations were too high on performance with light wheels. Or maybe I just do not drive in a fashion where I would notice results.

In any event, the wheels do look nice and new tires were needed and always a good thing. A cost of $1700 for the best is not bad I suppose.

Now I'm done modding. My budget is depleted and have done everything major: headers, exhaust, Ecu tune, sway bars, wheels, tires, headlights, and oem command GPS..

In sum the car is night and day before and after my modding, and now I can enjoy her and just fiddle with little things as well as maintenance.

Here are before and after pics of wheels,

Old 06-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
They look good, but then again, I had them in 18" on my coupey. You could have gone 18 also instead of 17, which would have helped a bit with the appearances.

I've never been a fan of Kuhmos; I would have put some Michelins on there. Would it help with your issues? No idea, but it might be a good idea to swap to a different tire next time and see if things get better. What pressure are they at, front and rear?

I'd at least swap to a stud system; the lugbolts look weird like that with black rims, imho.

And of course, don't be silly - once you start modding, you're never finished.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by tommy
They look good, but then again, I had them in 18" on my coupey. You could have gone 18 also instead of 17, which would have helped a bit with the appearances.

I've never been a fan of Kuhmos; I would have put some Michelins on there. Would it help with your issues? No idea, but it might be a good idea to swap to a different tire next time and see if things get better. What pressure are they at, front and rear?

I'd at least swap to a stud system; the lugbolts look weird like that with black rims, imho.

And of course, don't be silly - once you start modding, you're never finished.
Thanks for the comments buddy. These tires are continentals and have very good reviews on Tirerack. My goal was to maximize comfort and performance, so I chose to go with 17". But the huge drop in wheel weight has not produced the results I had hoped for. In fact, the super heavy amg wheels felt just as good. How could a drop in each wheel by at least 10 pounds NOT make the car more peppy? It's such an extreme change.

Sigh...

I'm planning to retrofitting black Mercedes center caps. The interior diameter of those oz wheels are 52mm and exterior 62mm. Going to take off a wheel to verify. Any suggestions on the center cap mod?

Will definetly think about color of lug nuts? Black? Would red be ridiculous?

One last thing- any ideas on spacers with these oz wheels? How in the heck would I determine fitment? Would 20mm in rear and 10mm in front be too aggressive?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Thanks for the comments buddy. These tires are continentals and have very good reviews on Tirerack. My goal was to maximize comfort and performance, so I chose to go with 17". But the huge drop in wheel weight has not produced the results I had hoped for. In fact, the super heavy amg wheels felt just as good. How could a drop in each wheel by at least 10 pounds NOT make the car more peppy? It's such an extreme change.

Sigh...

I'm planning to retrofitting black Mercedes center caps. The interior diameter of those oz wheels are 52mm and exterior 62mm. Going to take off a wheel to verify. Any suggestions on the center cap mod?

Will definetly think about color of lug nuts? Black? Would red be ridiculous?

One last thing- any ideas on spacers with these oz wheels? How in the heck would I determine fitment? Would 20mm in rear and 10mm in front be too aggressive?
My new wheel and tire combination is growing on me. The hottest girl in my gym said they looked hot :-)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Grassroots Motorsports had an interesting article in it within the past year, comparing a car with lighter rims, and one without. The differences in lap times were negligible. I had thought what you did, and still kinda do, despite what GRM said; you could probably find their article in their online site.

I do have some center caps that I had done for my wheels from Ocarbon last year. They are real carbon fiber, but have a bluish tinge, and are not fully black. They cost me $200, but I'd give them to you for the price of postage alone to clear up some space in my apt. Assuming I can find them at home, of course. If you're interested, let me know.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure about the center caps; only real way to know is just to try 'em out. Buy a single one off ebay to verify that they fit first if you can find a used one in the style that you want.

Spacers are really tough to figure out what size you need other than just slapping them on and going from there. However, once again, I have some at home that you could have - I think I have 10 and 3 mm sizes that would work for you. Let me verify everything tonight and get back here and let you know.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by tommy
Grassroots Motorsports had an interesting article in it within the past year, comparing a car with lighter rims, and one without. The differences in lap times were negligible. I had thought what you did, and still kinda do, despite what GRM said; you could probably find their article in their online site.

I do have some center caps that I had done for my wheels from Ocarbon last year. They are real carbon fiber, but have a bluish tinge, and are not fully black. They cost me $200, but I'd give them to you for the price of postage alone to clear up some space in my apt. Assuming I can find them at home, of course. If you're interested, let me know.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure about the center caps; only real way to know is just to try 'em out. Buy a single one off ebay to verify that they fit first if you can find a used one in the style that you want.

Spacers are really tough to figure out what size you need other than just slapping them on and going from there. However, once again, I have some at home that you could have - I think I have 10 and 3 mm sizes that would work for you. Let me verify everything tonight and get back here and let you know.
Hey Buddy,
Thanks I'd love to get a hold of your center caps and spacers :-) I will give you a PM!!