C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Removing resonator to cover road noise -any consequences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 Sport Coupe Mercedes
Removing resonator to cover road noise -any consequences?

My 2006 C230 (CL230) Sport is in great shape however it rides like a truck and the road noise gets on my nerves. I can feel every line and imperfection on the road. On occasion when I ride on a newly paved road all is fine and whisper quiet. When I first bought it with approx 26,000 KM, I thought it was the Pirelli tires which I replaced with Yokohama 235-45-17. The car is a bit more quieter and seems to ride better with the Yokohama tires but still very rough with way too much road noise. The engine runs very smooth and almost silently.
I considered removing the resonator so as to increase the exhaust noise in the hope of covering all the road noise. HOWEVER a custom exhaust shop I discussed this with advised that performance and MPG may suffer if we modify the factory exhaust. The shop manager inspected the underside and expressed that all looks like near new and messing with it may only result in a also noisy rough riding car. Any advise is welcomed.

Last edited by anerussis; 06-17-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
It's really odd that you have so much road noise. The only logical conclusion I can think of is to get better tires, and definitely explore that option before modding exhaust with the sole purpose of covering road noise.

If you want a whisper quiet tire, Michelin pilot super sport grand touring is always a great choice.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL230 Sport Coupe Mercedes
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
It's really odd that you have so much road noise. The only logical conclusion I can think of is to get better tires, and definitely explore that option before modding exhaust with the sole purpose of covering road noise.

If you want a whisper quiet tire, Michelin pilot super sport grand touring is always a great choice.
It's not the tires - the same harsh ride even with my Michelin-Ice winter tires. Read somewhere but can't find the bulletin again that apparently due to many complaints about this harsh ride and noise Mercedes for cars still under warranty would modify the suspension by installing softer shock absorbers and bushings. If anyone has seen this bulletin would appreciate a copy.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by anerussis
It's not the tires - the same harsh ride even with my Michelin-Ice winter tires. Read somewhere but can't find the bulletin again that apparently due to many complaints about this harsh ride and noise Mercedes for cars still under warranty would modify the suspension by installing softer shock absorbers and bushings. If anyone has seen this bulletin would appreciate a copy.
Wow that's so strange. It must be so frustrating. Guess you must have different car and its not the same.

If you do want to make your car louder, it's super fun and not too expensive. I have a cherry bomb muffler ($20 plus $170 install) as well as reasonator delete. Car sounds and feels fast.