C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Self-contained, cassette shaped MP3 player!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-26-2001, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport Coupe
Self-contained, cassette shaped MP3 player!

I thought you guys would think this was cool too. I got the CD changer for my car, but I also listen to MP3's I get online. With the cool flip-open cassette player (that I'd never use otherwise I might add), I hate to use a traditional cassette adapter for my MP3 player since, with the cord, it makes the radio look like a cat that just ate a mouse. I just found this neat little MP3 player on sharperimage.com that is already in cassette shape and as far as I can tell, doesn't need a cord to hook to another device. Here is the link. If it doesn't work, just go to http://www.sharperimage.com and search for mp3.

MP3 Player
Old 11-26-2001, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
very cool.....but...where do I get the MP3's now that napster is gone ?

well not gone but darn near !!
Old 11-26-2001, 03:40 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
I've been using WinMX at the link below. In some ways, I think it is a better program.

http://www.winmx.com
Old 11-26-2001, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Post Here's another one...

Rome MP3 Player / 64MB

This one also doesn't need any cords to operate, and it understands the cassette player controls: Play, FF, REV
Old 11-26-2001, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
I use AudioGalaxy
Old 11-27-2001, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Napsters dead and will be even more dead when they start charging for their service. I've been using KaZaA and/or Morpheus for quite sometime. They both are the same but different colors. You get Morpheus from http://www.musiccity.com/ and KaZaA from http://www.kazaa.com/

Far superior to Napster as the directories are more up to date (Napster used to have many dead links) and distributed so you are doing parallel searches across many directories, it does downloads from multiple sources at the same time making it much faster if you have the bandwidth, if you lose a connection it automatically continues from another source and the best feature is that you can download movies also. I've gotten Shrek and Jurasic 3 a week after they hit the theaters. I hear that Harry Potter is now available. Don't try this with a dialup modem.

One caveat, in return for this wonderful software, it installs adware software on your PC that they claim is only used to display ads inside the program whilst you are using it. You have to pay for it somehow.

One last warning. There's a lot of **** pictures and movies there. Be careful in letting your kids play with this. This wasn't an issue with the defunct Napster because they didn't have movies and pictures. Some of these movies/pics are disguised as something else.

Don't download anything that you don't have a copyright license for (disclaimer for the RIAA if they are watching).

Happy Downloading
Old 11-27-2001, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Lightbulb

[FONT=arial][COLOR=blue]BearShare

BearShare!
Old 11-27-2001, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, Todd. I've been wondering when you would show up. Great avatar.
Old 11-27-2001, 02:34 PM

C230K
Talking

Thanks Lynn!

Ya, I was kinda busy after Comdex. Plus I figured I’d let the board get a little active before jumping in. I almost went to that drive that Mr. Vanos was talking about ‘cause I am near Rusnak, but alas, that was way too early in the morning for me. ;-)

Drove the car out there and back and it was amazing. Hard to keep it under 100. Radar detector saved me once from a couple CHP sitting below a foothill on the way back.

I had just overtaken a BMW and was accelerating when the Ka band yowled. I hit the brakes hard and brought it down to 70 and bam, there they were. Didn't pursue me. Awesome car and the XM Sattelite worked everywhere from LA to Vegas.

AND, MB USA had a thing called the MB Tech Drive. With a Comdex badge and valid DL you could test drive any new model MB on a tight track they had setup with cones in a parking lot.

I tried the C230K (all automatics) first. Then an SL500. Then I went back to the Coupe. I swear that car was the fastest on the track, only because it is so much lighter and the track was so tight.

On the third time I turned ESP off. I had to wait to turn it off until after I passed the starter guy, as I had tried it before and he asked me to turn it back on.

No I really was able to power slide with controllable overstear through the turns. The crowd cheered and I only took out one cone ;-). That ESP really does work. They let you drive the cars as hard as you could within the confines of the track as long as you weren't really out of control.

They even had the 2002 SL500 on display, first time shown to the public since the Frankfurt auto show unveiling they said.

Oh, and a side note for Mr. Zaino. That stuff is INCREDIBLE. I got back from Vegas and my car looked like that DeLorean from back to the future. Like I had flown to outer space and back. Actually looked pretty cool with mud flung up from the front tires.

I was worried though because through some construction areas I had accumulated these white streaks and spots on my hood. Was hoping it wasn't something caustic like lime or something.

When I got back to LA I didn't have time to wash the car for a week. All I had on it was a coat of Z5.

I went to wash it and sprayed it off with a standard garden hose and nozzle and everything literaly flew off with just the water spray. Looked like it had just been waxed. Then proceeded to wash and then wax with Z2. Truly amazing stuff, thanks!
Old 11-28-2001, 06:47 PM

C230K
Color

By the way...

In the Comdex MS hall MB USA had a Citron Green C230K on display.

I must say, it was a beautiful color. Not just green, almost yellow?? Entrancing the way Orion is.

Kudos to anyone with ***** enough to get that color! ;-)
Old 11-28-2001, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Todd, I tried to respond yesterday buy I kept getting time out errors when I hit the submit button.

It sounds like you had a blast with that C230k at the Comdex MB event. It is always good to tear up the track in a car that isn't yours.

I started to order my car in Citron, but when the sales rep said "That will be a $1000 special order fee," I replied "Make it Orion." I love the Orion. I love the way people's heads snap around to look at it, but in a way I wish I had spent the grand and gotten something unique.

Sal Zaino rules.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:05 PM

C230K
Yes Lynnn, I experienced the same delay.

If you get this message it is over the 100th time I have tried to post it.

Fortunately I am multitasking and just come back to it.

It is now late, everything following the ** I typed earlier.

Would you like to get together and have children? I think they would be great drivers. ;-)

Right on Lynn!!

I knew if anyone had the '*****' it would be you! ;-)

I wouldn't mind having that color myself.

I love the Orion too, but when not in the proper light Geos, etc., look very similar.

That Citron is truely unique.

I don't think I have seen anything like that color on any other car.

lol

Todd
Old 11-28-2001, 09:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I started out with the citron as well

Do you know that the first guy with whom I talked told me that you don't want to spend that much money on a starter car? I was miffed. Of course, I went back and talked to someone else. But, like Lynn, the extra $1k scared me off. I kind of wish that I had gone through with it, but if you look at good pics, it's not nearly as bright in real life as it is on the mbusa website.

Now a nice orange would be worth an extra $1k.

Who's going to be the first to see a paprika or citron in the us? We should start a pool.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Uhhh, Todd, even if I were female, it would be rather late to have children. I'm a 49 year old male. Hey, it could be worse, my brother's name is Dee. Both names started as men's names. Lynn is Gemanic in origin, and Dee is an old Scottish name.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:11 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I seriously considered it, but the thing is that the VW BUG has the same color and for some reason it is really popular here in Orlando, so there are tons of identical green bugs driving around. It kind of watered the color down for me.

Rick
Old 11-29-2001, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i, too, would have gotten it if it wasn't another $1000. i was already annoyed that metallic paint costs more but then i have to pay even more? yeah, i know other car companies (bmw, etc) do this too.

i wanted a fun car and thats why i got blue (instead of my usual black or silver).
Old 11-30-2001, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mmutlu,
I tried AudioGalaxy per your recomendation and it has been impossible to register so I de-installed it. I tried it across several days with not luck, it keeps timing out. I still use KaZaA (just downloaded Harry Potter). The news today from the Netherlands is that KaZaA is being fined big time by the courts for copyright infringement. I hope this doesn't turn into another Napster.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
Registration worked just fine for me - a couple months ago- and I have been using it with no problems so far. Maybe it's not as stable as it was two months ago. I'll try to investigate that.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:03 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
Does anyone have the above mentioned cassette type mp3 players? If so...how's the sound quality? I was seriously thinking about buying one then I started to be concerned about the potential hiss sound when it is run through a cassette player(digital to analog conversion).
Old 12-04-2001, 12:18 PM

C230K
Whoa Lynn

Sorry for the mistake (gulp) ;-)

I remember when you first said you were switching from the automatic to the 6 speed a long time ago and I told you 'you go girl'.

And then later when you got into that disagreement with the dissenting poster about the C230 and I compared your driving style to Shirley Muldowney.

And here I had this image of a 25 year old female who could really drive.

On the internet no one knows your a dog, eh? ;-) lol
Old 12-07-2001, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Does anyone have the above mentioned cassette type mp3 players? If so...how's the sound quality? I was seriously thinking about buying one then I started to be concerned about the potential hiss sound when it is run through a cassette player(digital to analog conversion).
I've got one - Rome MP3 64MB.
It has a decent D/A converter, no audible hiss of its own. Of course, the sound quality depends on the encoder used and the bitrate at which audio has been encoded. When used in a car cassette player, it sounds acceptable - no iherent cassette tape hiss, but seems "overequalized" - flattish lows and exaggerated highs, so it souds quite tinny. But then again, most MP3 files going around are encoded at 128bps, and at this rate all frequencies above 12-14kHz are virtually cut off.
I'd say it sounds acceptable in a city traffic of on a highway with some wind noise present.

A very nice feature of this player that puts it ahead of competition is its ability to understand the host cassette player's controls - FF and REW advance and back up by 1 song, respectively (no matter how long you hold the button); PLAY starts playing; and STOP, well... stops. The autoplay feature in 3 car cassette players I tried it in works just fine - starts playing by itself as soon as you stick it in, and stops when you pop it out. If you put it back in, it will back up to the beginning of the song interrupted and start playing it again.

So far I've found one glitch - its USB interface is rather unreliable - you have to disconnect/reconnect it several times for it to start working.
Overall it's a nice thing and although I'm not too much into gadgets, I like it a lot. Makes a good sampling tool.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by vadim; 12-07-2001 at 05:13 AM.