C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Problem with vanity mirror light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML350 4Matic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that the light does not go on when I open the vanity mirror in the sunvisor (dirver's). First I checked the bulb. (Sawpped with the passenger side bulb, didn't fix) Second I checked the lamp holder. (Swapped with the passanger side lamp holder and bulb, didn't fix). Finally, I took off the passenger side visor and connected it (backwards) on the driver's side, and the light functioned. Therefore, it appears that the problem resides in the switch located in the mirror door. Can the mirror housing be removed from the visor without damaging it? Do I need a new visor?
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz
I noticed the same thing with my C240... I took the visor all apart, switched light bulbs, etc and still the same thing. I hit the roof a few times where the wire goes inside and it came on. Darn if I know why or what happened, but it sounds shaddy. I'm not a fan of mirrors, so I really do not use it anyway. My girl friend uses the passenger side all the time and it works just fine. Must be an issue with our cars. haha
Old 10-20-2004, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Talking

Originally Posted by rockintunes23
I hit the roof a few times where the wire goes inside and it came on.
hey, that's how Han Solo gets the Millenium Falcon to start up !

Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 PM

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S
If you can get your hands on a voltmeter, try this...

To test the driver side visor, pull the right side of the visor out of the "socket and/or clamp". You should now see two metal contacts. Select DC voltage reading on the meter and place the meter leads against the metal contacts. Don't worry about polarity, the meter will handle that. The meter should read about 12.8 Volts if the wiring is not defective.

If voltage is present, then place the visor back in the "socket" and see that the two metal contacts on the visor line up and make contact with the two metal contacts in the socket (the ones you used for the measurement).

If it still doesn't work then pull the visor out of the socket again and clean the metal contacts by rubbing them with a pencil eraser (old computer tech trick) and clean off any residue with a paper towel with some WD-40.

If it still doesn't work, with the visor out of the socket open the mirror flap. Then with the voltmeter set to Ohms (or in may have a symbol much like a down facing horse shoe) and set it to the highest scale within the Ohms area. Now touch the meter leads to the two metal contacts on the visor. If everything is OK, then depending on the meter, it should either "beep" or read 0.00

Hope this helps...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
That's a hint from MB that those who use this mirror should be riding in the passenger's seat!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:30 PM

05 C230K
Craaaaapp....!! this just hapnd to my car! i guess i have to see where i can borrow a volt meter now?!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hers - 2003 C320. His - 2004 330i zhp 6 speed.
Add me to the list... The passenger side mirror light is not working when you lift up the plastic cover over the mirror. The driver side works fine so i swapped it into the passenger side and it stops working there. When the passenger side assembly is put into the driver side it works fine.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

C320 2002
Okay this happened to me when a girl was checking out her makeup in my car.. I thought she broke it so i was going to make her pay for it =P come to find out

On the passenger side The left side that clicks in has two metal tabs on it.. If they don't align up when you pull the visor down it will not light up. I had to align the metal clips back and it works fine and has been..

I also had to say i was really sorry to the girl who i thought broke it..
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Xhale707
Okay this happened to me when a girl was checking out her makeup in my car.. I thought she broke it so i was going to make her pay for it =P come to find out

On the passenger side The left side that clicks in has two metal tabs on it.. If they don't align up when you pull the visor down it will not light up. I had to align the metal clips back and it works fine and has been..

Cool, gonna check on this tonight and also do the voltmeter check/cleaning as recommended by jlm003. It's a minor thing but this was of course THE first thing that my wife noticed after playing around with the new to her car.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM

That was it... lined up the metal clips and everything is fine.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Banned

C320 2002
Originally Posted by vert
That was it... lined up the metal clips and everything is fine.
Sweet Glad it was just that.. ilovemybenzo go try that too
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 PM

2007 C230 sport
Hello! I tried cleaning the contacts and re-aligning them.I used alligator clips on the contacts on the headliner and it works. I snapped the visor back in and nothing. I'm stuck here. Looks like the contacts on the visor don't connect? Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 07:22 PM

04 E320
Vanity Mirror Light Not Working

I have found my self in the same problem and after looking into the problem i did take off the mirror off of the visor. It popped off with a little tugging. Behind the mirror there is a blue switch that connects power to the bulb when the flap on the mirror is open. Part #A2118700510 is defective in my case.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with vanity mirror light-mbe320vmp1.jpg   Problem with vanity mirror light-mbe320vmp2.jpg   Problem with vanity mirror light-mbe320vmp3.jpg   Problem with vanity mirror light-mbe320vmp4.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 12:22 AM

2007 C230 SPORT
Hello All,
I have the same problem with my driver side visor light. my passenger side works fine. the driver side bulb works because when i put it in the passenger side, it lights up. on my driver side i do get 12.4 volts at the bulb socket on my volt meter when i lift the mirror cover up and lose power when i close the cover. so i'm getting power all the way to the bulb socket but it won't light up the bulb when i put it in place. would a bad ground be the problem? any suggestions. this issue is a head scratcher.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S212 2014 220 CDI
Add me to the list, i tried a feston led bulb, not the real powerful ones, but one with red leds, and it came on, no success with regular bulbs.
If current were low, it should still glow a little in the bulb, agree?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2005 c230
had similiar issue that I fixed
my passenger side mirror light would work, but only if I held up the actial mirror cover high enough with my jhand. The mirror cover was no longer going fully upward enough on its on to activate the light.

removed the mirror assembly then used a pair of pliers to squeeze each of the two metal spring clips back inwards. In other words, one side of the pliers on the front side of the mirror houseing, the other side of the pliers aginst the metal spring clip. Squeezed gently and it restrengthens the springs to hold the top up better
Old 12-30-2016, 09:40 PM

430 CLK
Fixing Vanity light when open passenger mirror

Thanks to XHALE707, I figured I might as well try getting the contacts to connect better, since my light on the passenger side didn't work, but worked fine just a bit ago.

So, the "female" mechanic here, took a screw driver to just bring the contacts that are not on the flap, but on the other side out a bit.

Fixed in 5 seconds! Once again, thank you XHALE707!

My passenger (my sweet daughter) will be HAPPY AGAIN!

Thank you!
Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 CLK350 CABRIOLET & 2005 SL500
CLK350 VANITY MIRROR

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR LIGHT...DID EVERYTHING SUGGESTED, ALMOST...
MADE AN ATTEMPT TO PRY THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY OUT BUT WITH NO SUCCESS AND DID NOT WANT TO RISK DAMAGE.
WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PRY THE MIRROR ***'Y, JUST BEHIND THE SMALL ON/OFF SWITCH I TOUCHED UPON SOMETHING THAT MADE THE LIGHT COME ON WITH THE ACTIVATION OF THE SWITCH.
THOUGHT THAT IF I APPLIED PRESSURE BACK THERE WOULD B THE SOLUTION....AND SINCE MY SM SCREWDRIVER WAS THE MOST EFFECTIVE, I TOOK A PENNY FROM MY CUP HOLDER AND INSERTED IT BEHIND THE SWITCH LOCATION AND NOW ALL FUNCTIONS AS NORMAL.
NOT CERTAIN IF THIS IS A PERMANENT FIX FOR SUCH A MAJOR PROBLEM...BUT AM OK FOR NOW.
CAN RETURN TO HEAVY DRINKING

LG BLK TO LEFT OF MIRROR AT TOP IS THE SWITCH

The following users liked this post:
Delectable_cj (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 03:02 PM

2011 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by Rick BARON
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY PASSENGER SIDE MIRROR LIGHT...DID EVERYTHING SUGGESTED, ALMOST...
MADE AN ATTEMPT TO PRY THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY OUT BUT WITH NO SUCCESS AND DID NOT WANT TO RISK DAMAGE.
WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PRY THE MIRROR ***'Y, JUST BEHIND THE SMALL ON/OFF SWITCH I TOUCHED UPON SOMETHING THAT MADE THE LIGHT COME ON WITH THE ACTIVATION OF THE SWITCH.
THOUGHT THAT IF I APPLIED PRESSURE BACK THERE WOULD B THE SOLUTION....AND SINCE MY SM SCREWDRIVER WAS THE MOST EFFECTIVE, I TOOK A PENNY FROM MY CUP HOLDER AND INSERTED IT BEHIND THE SWITCH LOCATION AND NOW ALL FUNCTIONS AS NORMAL.
NOT CERTAIN IF THIS IS A PERMANENT FIX FOR SUCH A MAJOR PROBLEM...BUT AM OK FOR NOW.
CAN RETURN TO HEAVY DRINKING

LG BLK TO LEFT OF MIRROR AT TOP IS THE SWITCH

I was about to try what u did with the penny and as soon as I placed my screwdriver under the mirror... The light flickered on. So I bent the visor a little and it stayed on... Who'da Thunk it'll work 🥴
Old 03-27-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 127 Likes on 118 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual

Thanks for posting this and thanks to delectable_cj for bringing this thread back from the dead. My passenger side vanity light stopped working after I Replaced my headliner. I thought I might have pinched a wire during the reassembly process. I checked the alignment of the visor and that fixed the problem. It is nice when the solution is quick and easy.