C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HomeLink Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
HomeLink Question

Hello All,

I'm having a problem programming our garage door opener's rolling codes. I hit the 'learn' button on the opener's motor, then hold down the desired HomeLink button for almost a minute; it never goes in to 'fast blink' mode. I had no problem programming the front gate (it doesn't have rolling codes), so I know the car is ok... any ideas?

TIA,
Mark
Old 12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you are not doing it right. you have to program the mirror button first, then press the garage motor button, then again press the mirror button. read the manual for all the steps
Old 12-02-2004, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
The dealer here at MBSD gave us a "special" Homelink instruction kit for "rolling code" garage doors. I will dig it up tonight, and post it here.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 12-02-2004, 12:05 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by Saprissa
The dealer here at MBSD gave us a "special" Homelink instruction kit for "rolling code" garage doors. I will dig it up tonight, and post it here.
Thanks Carlos, that would be great!

sunman: you are not doing it right. you have to program the mirror button first
I cleared the old codes. Is that what you mean? I followed the instructions in the owner's manual... still no luck.

Thank You,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb HomeLink programming

Mr. markseven:

Originally Posted by sunman
you are not doing it right. you have to program the mirror button first, then press the garage motor button, then again press the mirror button. read the manual for all the steps
Mr Sunman gave you the steps you need to do. As he (Mr. Sunman) said, if you look at your owner's manual, the instructions are pretty much the same steps, just in detail. Mr Saprissa's dealer's "special" instrucions will be basically the excerpt of the owner's manual.

Hopefully, after you follow all the steps your garage door with the rolling code will work. I have the same situation probably than you do, a front gate that has no rolling code and my garage doors that are in rolling code. In my case, I am able to open all the front gate and the garage doors with my HomeLink in my car. There are however, some garage door rolling code systems that are simply not compatible with the universal homelink system. I have another situation in another house, where even attempting with my same car, erasing the codes, reprogramming to operate the garage doors (diff. house with diff. garage door opener brand) simply won't work... turned out the system simply can not be operated by the universal HomeLink system . Hopefully that won't be your case.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Hi Wiedermann,

I too read in the owner's manual that the integrated opener is incompatible with some systems; I hope this isn't the case with my garage door opener. I re-read the instructions on how to program rolling codes, but still don't see any steps that I missed.

How do I program the mirror button prior to hitting the 'learn' button on the opener?

Thank You,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb More about HomeLink programming...

Originally Posted by markseven
Originally Posted by Wiedermann
HomeLink programming
Mr. markseven:

Mr Sunman gave you the steps you need to do. As he (Mr. Sunman) said, if you look at your owner's manual, the instructions are pretty much the same steps, just in detail. Mr Saprissa's dealer's "special" instrucions will be basically the excerpt of the owner's manual.
Hopefully, after you follow all the steps your garage door with the rolling code will work. I have the same situation probably than you do, a front gate that has no rolling code and my garage doors that are in rolling code. In my case, I am able to open all the front gate and the garage doors with my HomeLink in my car. There are however, some garage door rolling code systems that are simply not compatible with the universal homelink system. I have another situation in another house, where even attempting with my same car, erasing the codes, reprogramming to operate the garage doors (diff. house with diff. garage door opener brand) simply won't work... turned out the system simply can not be operated by the universal HomeLink system . Hopefully that won't be your case.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Hi Wiedermann,

I too read in the owner's manual that the integrated opener is incompatible with some systems; I hope this isn't the case with my garage door opener. I re-read the instructions on how to program rolling codes, but still don't see any steps that I missed.

How do I program the mirror button prior to hitting the 'learn' button on the opener?

Thank You,
Mark
Mr. markseven:

Though I am not as good as the owner's manual, since I've done this many times with all my cars todate, using Mr Sunman's steps, which are very accurate by the way, from my head it goes the "parraphrased" blah, blah:

First Step:
you have to program the mirror button first
For this step, you have to do EXACTLY what you did to program your gate... when you are done, you will see when you press the button you programmed, the LED will blink rapidlly, however the door won't operate.

I had no problem programming the front gate (it doesn't have rolling codes)
Second Step

then press the garage motor button
Press the learn button on your garage door. Make sure your car is in front of the garage door as your car will need to pick up the rolling frequency from the motor (as you have already programmed the button in the previous step)

Third Step
then again press the mirror button
Press the button in your HomeLink system, aka "your mirror button", then one you programmed in step one to operate your garage door. When you do this, press the button and hold it pressed for a couple seconds, then release. Do that aprox 5 times. Normally by the 3 try you will see that your garage door starts to operate (either closing or opening)

read the manual for all the steps
Your owner's manual will have the same steps described, just in better english, with some description as to the behavior of the pilot light in your HomeLink system, etc etc

Hello All,

I'm having a problem programming our garage door opener's rolling codes. I hit the 'learn' button on the opener's motor, then hold down the desired HomeLink button for almost a minute; it never goes in to 'fast blink' mode. I had no problem programming the front gate (it doesn't have rolling codes), so I know the car is ok... any ideas?

TIA,
Mark
If after that your door does not operate, then as you said in your posting, you may have a system that is not compatible with your homelink systen. Solution???... buy a brand that is... Gennie, Sears and Martin are brands that work with the HomeLink system --in within other brands, I just don't know them all-- (I have those brands in the homes that my HomeLink operates).

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 12-02-2004, 03:23 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Hi Wiedermann,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such and in depth description.

For this step, you have to do EXACTLY what you did to program your gate... when you are done, you will see when you press the button you programmed, the LED will blink rapidlly, however the door won't operate.
Now, here's a really silly question: Am I to use the remote that came with the garage door opener to program the mirror button?

I just realized that my garage door opener is compatible with HomeLink because our BMW has HomeLink, and everything works fine.

Thanks Again,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb HomeLink programming crisis

Hi Wiedermann,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such and in depth description.

Originally Posted by Wiedermann
Now, here's a really silly question: Am I to use the remote that came with the garage door opener to program the mirror button?

I just realized that my garage door opener is compatible with HomeLink because our BMW has HomeLink, and everything works fine.

Thanks Again,
Mark
Mr. markseven:

No prob!.

I have a term that I used with my group when we trouble shoot problems and we discover the problem has nothing to do with the hardware equipment, but instead with the user... lol.. we call it " Operator problem "... whelp??? it certainly seems I can apply that in this case .

I would suggest for you to do as I mentioned in my previous quote, to do exactly what you did to program your gate into your home link system, of course, using the appropriate hardware that applies for your garage door (for ex. using your garage door remote, don't try to use your gate remote control to program your home garage door into the HomeLink system... lol ); Just repeat those steps which in this case will be the first step to be done when dealing with those rotating code freq. systems.

Based on the information you posted on your first thread, you programmed yourself your gate into your HomeLink system. Based on that assumption, I am taking the most common route to program the HomeLink system where you used your remote control from your gate to program it into your HomeLink system. If that is the case, then do EXACTLY that for your garage doors.

In other words, based on your question:
Your answer is: Yes!

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 12-02-2004, 04:43 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Hi Wiedermann,

Operator error indeed ! I'll try again when I get home this evening.

Thank You,
Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
markseven,
It might help to post the brand and model of garage door opener. Others with the same brand and/or model may be able to help.

GGM
Old 12-02-2004, 10:52 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by GGM
markseven,
It might help to post the brand and model of garage door opener. Others with the same brand and/or model may be able to help.

GGM
GGM,

Great idea. My opener is a Chamberlain LiftMaster 2220 1/2HP.

-Mark
Old 12-02-2004, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Exclamation

OK,
These are the “Rolling Code Programming” Instructions direct from HOMELINK,
Not from the Mercedes-Benz Owner’s Manual.

HOMELINK1-800-355-3515

Rolling Code Programming:

To train a garage door with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions.
(The aid of a second person may make the training quicker and easier).

NOTE: Before starting, make sure battery is good in the hand held transmitter, antenna is hanging down from the garage door opener receiver, and the key is to be turned on the “Accessory” position.

A). Press and hold the two (2) outside HOMELINK buttons till light begins to flash, then release. This may take up to 20 seconds.

B). Hold hand held transmitter button and desired HOMELINK button down till indicator light flashes slowly then rapidly, release both buttons.
This starts the activation process.

1). Locate the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener owner’s manual or please visit our web site, www.homelink.com

2). Press the training button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activates the “training” light).

NOTE: Following Step 2, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate Step 3.

3). Firmly press and release the programmed HOMELINK button. Press and release the HOMELINK button a second time to complete the training process.
(Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time to complete the training).

4). The garage door opener should now recognize the HOMELINK universal transceiver. The remaining two buttons may now be trained if this has not previously been done.

5) If there are still difficulties in programming the HOMELINK call the 1-800 number or visit our website: www.homelink.com

-------------------------------
let me know if these instructions work for you.
They worked just fine on both my MB's and I have a MARTIN garage door opener.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 12-03-2004, 12:48 AM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Yes! Success!! haha, it took all of 20 seconds. Thanks to all

-Mark