C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
View Poll Results: What C-Class Do You Have?
C300 Luxury
16.33%
C300 Sport
53.47%
C350
24.90%
Or Other? C280 & etc.
5.31%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

C300 Luxury vs. Sport

Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, ML63 AMG
C300 Luxury vs. Sport

So I'm getting a C-Class but split on a decision: Luxury or Sport? What do you guys think about each? I see that almost EVERYONE has sport. I really like the AMG styling of the sport, but the luxury interior just seems better, especially with wood. Just asking you opinions...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
The sport style hands down! The wood grain interior is a nice touch, but if you really want it, you can always opt for a wood grain over lay kit. It'll never be 100% like OEM but depending on the kit, it'll be pretty darn close. Heck, I've even see some of the big buck kits look better than anything OEM...
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 C280 Previous / 2008 E350
I'd go for the C350 w/ AMG body kit. Gives the car a superior looks when it has the AMG body style plus its V6 268HP.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by JRAMGV8
I'd go for the C350 w/ AMG body kit. Gives the car a superior looks when it has the AMG body style plus its V6 268HP.
^+1
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
I would go for C350, but sadly MB USA decided NOT to have a C350 4MATIC. I need 4Matic for the snow/ice. Thanks for your answers. I think I am leaning toward the sport for sure...but not quite 100% yet.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:39 PM

2018 C300 Cabrio & 2018 GLE AMG 43 SUV
For me there was one main reason why I chose Luxury vs. Sport and because I needed 4Matic here in Minnesota, the 350 was not an option (unfortunately).

Here in Minnesota, I needed the car to ride smooth as the winter roads are here are tough and quite bouncy. I got rid of my BMW X5 4.4 with sport suspension just because I was done riding a bucking bronco. I then went to a C280 4Matic that was nice but just as soon as the new model came out, I upgraded for the look and features. Yes, I wish that I could have had the exterior features of the Sport like the nice front bumper and side styling, but after research I learned that the Sport was lower than the Luxury model and since I wanted ultimate ride vs. sporty handling, the choice was easy. Also, I ultimately liked the steering wheel and the wood grain on the luxury model better.

After having the car for 2 months now and living through a pretty harsh winter out here, I am still soooooooooooooooo happy with this car and cannot wait to use the pano roof this summer (and keep it clean).

Probably the only thing I regret at this point is not waiting for a P2 model to arrive. I really wish my seats folded down and the xenon would have been nice looking. But I am impatient and wanted the new model in December

Good luck deciding, hopefully this helps as I am sure that you will love it.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by BryC300
For me there was one main reason why I chose Luxury vs. Sport and because I needed 4Matic here in Minnesota, the 350 was not an option (unfortunately).

Here in Minnesota, I needed the car to ride smooth as the winter roads are here are tough and quite bouncy. I got rid of my BMW X5 4.4 with sport suspension just because I was done riding a bucking bronco. I then went to a C280 4Matic that was nice but just as soon as the new model came out, I upgraded for the look and features. Yes, I wish that I could have had the exterior features of the Sport like the nice front bumper and side styling, but after research I learned that the Sport was lower than the Luxury model and since I wanted ultimate ride vs. sporty handling, the choice was easy. Also, I ultimately liked the steering wheel and the wood grain on the luxury model better.

After having the car for 2 months now and living through a pretty harsh winter out here, I am still soooooooooooooooo happy with this car and cannot wait to use the pano roof this summer (and keep it clean).

Probably the only thing I regret at this point is not waiting for a P2 model to arrive. I really wish my seats folded down and the xenon would have been nice looking. But I am impatient and wanted the new model in December

Good luck deciding, hopefully this helps as I am sure that you will love it.
Thanks for you reply. That's interesting, I didn't know the Sport was lower than the Luxury. Is there any differences, such as interior materials. Also how is the steering wheel different? If anyone has driven both sport and luxury, have you noticed much of difference in ride? Last question, haha, is the luxury 0-60 even higher than the already lacking sport time? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
It was a difficult decision between the Lux w/ 4Matic or the 350. I really wanted the 4 matic here in MN, but so far so good with the rear wheel drive. The stability control is amazing. I feel good with the decision so far. Snow tires help!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Wheres the Bullit? lol
Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by aparikh1207
Thanks for you reply. That's interesting, I didn't know the Sport was lower than the Luxury. Is there any differences, such as interior materials. Also how is the steering wheel different? If anyone has driven both sport and luxury, have you noticed much of difference in ride? Last question, haha, is the luxury 0-60 even higher than the already lacking sport time? Thanks.
The Sport is lower than the the Lux..but only by .6 of an inch(Sport 56.3 Lux 56.9) the Sport does appear lower thanks to its ground effects though. They both have the same engines and there is no difference in performance other than what you might be able to wring out of the Sport models sport suspension. As far as a ride difference between the two, you have to drive them back to back and even then you can barely notice that the Sport is a bit stiffer, mainly a result of the different sized tires and suspension. There are a couple threads on here that talk about the differences between the two but here are a few off the top of my head.

Lux:
Wood Grain Trim
Beige Interior
4 Spoke Steering Wheel
Leather Wrapped Shift Knob
Grey Headliner
Sand Beige Exterior
Chrome Trim Around Front And Rear Bumpers
Classic MB Style Grille
Raised Star Emblem On Hood

Sport:
Silver Trim
Two Tone Grey/Black Interior
Three Spoke Steering Wheel
Silver Shift Knob
Studded Sport Pedals
Silver Gauge Cluster Surround
Black Headliner
Mars Red Exterior
Ground Effects
Sport Grille
6 Speed Manual Trans
Direct Control Sport Suspension
Staggered Width Sport Wheels

Last edited by chilledbenz; 02-15-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I was offered an option to purchase the C300 Luxury and swap out the front classic grille to the Sport grille at the dealer's cost. This would give you some of the Sport's exterior style and have the Luxury's interior wood trim. The grille swap is listed on the 2008 C class accessory catalog.

Since the Luxury models don't sell as well as Sport, I think you can talk the dealer into swapping the grille for you for free.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
So if I wanted a C300 luxury, I can change the grille. If so, can I also add the amg bumper, sides, and rear body package as an aftermarket kit by my dealer. So essentially, luxury interior and a sport exterior. Cause then I can get the burlwood interior and leather burlwood steering wheel.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Sure you can, if you don't mind spending the big $$$$ the dealer will charge you for everything... Factor in paint, and labor, and you'll be in it for an arm and a leg!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by aparikh1207
So if I wanted a C300 luxury, I can change the grille. If so, can I also add the amg bumper, sides, and rear body package as an aftermarket kit by my dealer. So essentially, luxury interior and a sport exterior. Cause then I can get the burlwood interior and leather burlwood steering wheel.
By the time you add that all up you would have saved yourself money if you would have just bought a C350 to begin with. C350 has black birds eye maple interior trim and you still get all the sport goodies on the outside, so essentially exactly what your looking for. The draw backs are the higher price over the C300 Sport and no 4matic is offered currently on U.S. spec cars.

I had the exact same problem your having, I went and looked at both models and really wanted the wood interior, but fell in love with the looks of the sport and the two tone grey/black sport interior. I had read on this board that it was possiable to do special orders if you had the order code so when I placed my order I attempted to add the black birds eye maple to a C300 sport...they laughed at me. To the knowledge of my salesman who has been working there for quite a few years, he has never heard of such a thing but to be safe he inquired a MB area rep who also said that he hadn't heard of such an order going through. I decided to go with the sport and just live with the silver trim, after awhile you don't notice it and believe it or not, while sitting in a lux version in the show room this past weekend, I found myself looking at the wood trim and realizing how bad it looked compared to the wood in the other models on the show room floor. The M, GL, E, and S all have better looking wood trim interiors, the C300's wood trim is dark and has no highlights at all..if it didn't say real wood on the window sticker you would be hard pressed to tell otherwise.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Almost a Member!

08 C300 Sport P2, AMG; 06 Texas Chopper
I went to the MB dealer about a month ago to look at the C Class and was nicely greeted to a 300 Sport, P II package, Pallidium Silver with 18" AMG wheels. I immediately feel in love with it. However I walked the dealer to view the other C-Class' they had available.

While viewing the remaining vehicles I saw more Luxury models than sport. I mentioned that I was only interested in the sport model. The sales rep said at that point that if I liked the Luxury model they could convert the front end to the sport fascia for $600 color matched.

You may want to ask the dealer the same question if your torn between the 2 models.

I did leave with the first one I saw and am very pleased with it.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
sport is winning the poll!!! i personally dont like the stying of the lux edition.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:23 AM

08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
I had the exact same problem your having, I went and looked at both models and really wanted the wood interior, but fell in love with the looks of the sport and the two tone grey/black sport interior. I had read on this board that it was possiable to do special orders if you had the order code so when I placed my order I attempted to add the black birds eye maple to a C300 sport...they laughed at me. To the knowledge of my salesman who has been working there for quite a few years, he has never heard of such a thing but to be safe he inquired a MB area rep who also said that he hadn't heard of such an order going through. I decided to go with the sport and just live with the silver trim, after awhile you don't notice it and believe it or not, while sitting in a lux version in the show room this past weekend, I found myself looking at the wood trim and realizing how bad it looked compared to the wood in the other models on the show room floor. The M, GL, E, and S all have better looking wood trim interiors, the C300's wood trim is dark and has no highlights at all..if it didn't say real wood on the window sticker you would be hard pressed to tell otherwise.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
In Europe you can get the AMG kit for the Classic and Elegance, with the traditional grill the front of the car looks mean, far better than the Avantgrade which looks a little girlie.

Someone on this forum has an Elegance/Luxury with AMG kit in paladium silver, it's the best looking w204 I've seen here.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:23 AM

C300 Sport 4Matic, P1
Sport Sedan All the Way!

Definitely the Sport Sedan; however, I would like to know... is it hard to keep the gas/brake pedals clean? I saw one at the dealership and the pedals were dirty and looked TERRIBLE. I get my C300 Sport Sedan in 2 weeks!

Also, you can order the Sport Sedan's grill and change the look of the front... that was an option for me when I was debating between the wood and the chrome. Decided on the chrome. Looks sharp with black interior. It all depends on what look you like!

Last edited by FedGovGirl; 02-16-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Also....
Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM

We all have our opinions. I really like the luxury and don't regret the decision. I did switch out to the sport grill and REALLY like the interior and the rims. Admittedly though, I envy the ground affects but since I have yet to ever have a MB or BMW that has EVERYTHING that I want, I am content.

When the weather gets better and I can actually keep my car clean for 1 day I will take some pictures to show you guys (and ladies) a good looking luxury model

Below are some quick pics from mbusa.com showing some interior differences between the luxury and sport.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 AM

okay, so I cannot figure out how to post pics using URL. Sorry.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM

MB 2008 C300 sport, 2008 Rally blue Subaru Impreza 2.5 SI 1995 MB C280 W202
Originally Posted by Krytech
It was a difficult decision between the Lux w/ 4Matic or the 350. I really wanted the 4 matic here in MN, but so far so good with the rear wheel drive. The stability control is amazing. I feel good with the decision so far. Snow tires help!
RWD should be ok with winter tires. I got C300 RWD with Pirelli Sotto Zeros Winter Tires and with ESP and God know what electronic out there in my Car... I seem to able to manage it during our normal snowstorm in Toronto, Canada.
This year, we have more snow than we bargain for.
Someone I knew go for the Nokia winter tires (noisy than mine) and he was able to handle the car in the cottage country ( near Peterborough, Ontario).
Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 AM

2006 c230 Sport Sedan
Wood does not belong inside of motor vehicles. I'm sure I'll get a bunch of contention on this one, but that's just me.

Sport all the way! I love my sport ('06 c230 v6).
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
^Why???? What's wrong with wood in cars?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:18 PM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Hmm. We are spoiled by modern, metal, cars. Just think what our grandfathers thought of wood in a motorcor!
Attached Thumbnails C300 Luxury vs. Sport-truewoodie.jpg  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: C300 Luxury vs. Sport