C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to turn off the beep when you lock doors?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Sport 4M
How to turn off the beep when you lock doors?

Here's a quick question. I hopefully can I save myself some time and effort if anyone knows, instead of skimming through that thick C-class manual.

When you lock your doors the lights flash and then it beeps. Is there a way to disable the beeping? Or to change it so it doesnt flash or beep? I guess I'll have to add that I do have the keyless go feature too.

Any ideas?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Originally Posted by german-anger
Here's a quick question. I hopefully can I save myself some time and effort if anyone knows, instead of skimming through that thick C-class manual.

When you lock your doors the lights flash and then it beeps. Is there a way to disable the beeping? Or to change it so it doesnt flash or beep? I guess I'll have to add that I do have the keyless go feature too.

Any ideas?
I also wanted to disable the "beep beep" sound, only the dealer can do it.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Just curious. Why?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:06 PM

C300
i asked the dealer when i picked it up and he said it can't be done... i hope he's wrong.... well as long as it's not a honk honk, it's not so bad
Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM

C350 Sport 4M
At least in some older recent benzos i think you could disable the sound. It just is annoying especially when you have to unlock and relock your doors... or especially with keyless go, when you're washing the car or something the water tends to trigger the lock and unlock as well. =|

Anyone else have a clue? Is it a STAR diagnostic option or something, hence you have to have it done at the dealership?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:24 PM

2008 MB C300; 2007 Acura RDX
good question ... anyone know this?

Also, is there a way to auto-lock? I see people sometimes walk away from benzos and they lock, am I dreaming?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 PM

I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Very Simpkek too do with a right tool

Any ideas?
First You need to locate the chime which is i think on right side next to steering wheel. There is a mesh circle under where the dash finishes. Then u need a maker opposite of you dash interior color make an X on the mesh circle. You now unlock your car sit inside your car and start it once u do that you will hear bep beep bep beep bep thats when your annoyed from the bep and all your anger comes out. And pull right from your back seat the sledge hammer hit the x once twice three times till you hear no beep this should do it. Just be Sure you hit it on the X you don't wanna break anything else Hey i was just tying to add some humor to this only thing i can think of is locating the speaker chime and try cutting one wire to see if it works and you get no error if doesn't work put the wire back with a connector
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM

W204 C230
man ..go to W204 secret menu , im asking to enable the beep beep sounds for my car , now you want to disable it ...LOL.what a joke !!..my car had no beep beep sound , so i thought no alarm system as standard feature on it , ive been asking some folks on other forums, they said to active or unactive it , you need to know the alarm country codes supllied by your local MB, they can re-program your alarm system as you want them to do . My situation is kinda funny, i need nertherland or norway country codes to active the beep beep sound to make sure my car is equipped with OEM alarm system from MB. If my car doesnt sound beep beep by coding activation , that means i dont have any sh*t for security issue ..LOL ..

Last edited by vnc230; 07-17-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 PM

C350 Sport 4M
Originally Posted by vnc230
man ..go to W204 secret menu , im asking to enable the beep beep sounds for my car , now you want to disable it ...LOL.what a joke !!..my car had no beep beep sound , so i thinked no alarm system as standard feature on it , ive been asking some folks on other forums, they said to active or unactive it , you need to know the alarm country codes supllied by your local MB, they can re-program your alarm system as you want them to do . My situation is kinda funny, i need nertherland or norway country codes to active the beep beep sound to make sure my car is equipped with OEM alarm system from MB. If my car doesnt sound beep beep by coding activation , that means i dont have any sh*t for security issue ..LOL ..
OH LOL, such is life. one person wants to go from A to B. Another wants to go from B to A. But oh okay maybe its something to do with the coding the alarm. All benzos have that 'code' to punch in. perhaps its an initial set up thing. I will check the secret menu again... =\ i didnt see anything under setting up the security system.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 PM

C350 Sport 4M
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Just curious. Why?
1) It is unnecessary IMO. I can usually remember where my car is. If i don't... I will look for the flashing lights... I'm not that stupid to use the beeping to locate my car.
2) Flashing lights are good enough.
3) I want to be m*%thfskin' Ninja... stealth.

P.S. I like the 'interior lights off' mode, so i dont feel like a fish in an aquarium when my ride stops. I also enjoy black cars with dark tint. I guess I like to be stealth and descrete. I guess thats why.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Palladium Silver
1) It is unnecessary IMO. I can usually remember where my car is. If i don't... I will look for the flashing lights... I'm not that stupid to use the beeping to locate my car.
2) Flashing lights are good enough.
3) I want to be m*%thfskin' Ninja... stealth.

P.S. I like the 'interior lights off' mode, so i dont feel like a fish in an aquarium when my ride stops. I also enjoy black cars with dark tint. I guess I like to be stealth and descrete. I guess thats why.
The Canadian owner's manual says that in order to disable the beep sound, the dealer has to do it. There is also an option to lower the beep volume. I had mine turned off since it was already on the lowest setting...and it was still annoying indeed.

Within the convenience settings, you can set the auto interior lights to light up before you enter into the cabin. Also, if you really want to be stealth, then set your headlight dial to 0 (instead of Auto). Then, your fog lights will not light up when you press the remote button to unlock.

I leave my headlight setting on Auto. The lights looks good. And no annoying beep sound.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by C350Silver; 07-20-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 AM

C300
you can lock it without beeping... its like a trick..

leave your driver side door open and lock the car with your remote... close the door... wala... no beeping.. only flashing
Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM

C350 Sport 4M
pg. 71, owners manual...

"Your vehicle is equipped with an acoustic lock and unlock confirmation signal feature. An acoustic signal will sound when the vehicle is locked or unlocked using the SmartKey

If you wish to activate or deactivate the feature, or adjust its signal volume, contact an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center"

damn... I'm too lazy to bring this in. Plus it would suck if they charged a service charge for looking at your car. Anyone a tech and would know? or could ask about it? Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM

'08 C350
I've hit 13,000 miles and have a 9:00 AM appointment tomorrow for Service A. I plan to ask if they can disable the "Beep-Beep-Beep" when I lock the doors.

Not only is it annoying, but I personally find it embarrassing when my car sits there and "beeps" three times. One beep, I could live with. Two beeps, maybe. Three beeps, annoying. And ridiculous.

I'll let you know what they can do, and if there is a charge for it.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 AM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
pg. 71, owners manual...

"Your vehicle is equipped with an acoustic lock and unlock confirmation signal feature. An acoustic signal will sound when the vehicle is locked or unlocked using the SmartKey

If you wish to activate or deactivate the feature, or adjust its signal volume, contact an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center"

damn... I'm too lazy to bring this in. Plus it would suck if they charged a service charge for looking at your car. Anyone a tech and would know? or could ask about it? Thanks
your dealership should not charge you anything , espeically your selling dealer
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 AM

C350 Sport 4M
Originally Posted by 2-many-carz
I've hit 13,000 miles and have a 9:00 AM appointment tomorrow for Service A. I plan to ask if they can disable the "Beep-Beep-Beep" when I lock the doors.

Not only is it annoying, but I personally find it embarrassing when my car sits there and "beeps" three times. One beep, I could live with. Two beeps, maybe. Three beeps, annoying. And ridiculous.

I'll let you know what they can do, and if there is a charge for it.
Aights thanks. I'll be waiting for your update ask em if theres an easy way to just do it yourself haha. Like a diagnostic menu or something. I'm sure a lot of ppl would like to disable the beep.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 AM

C350 Sport 4M
Originally Posted by maninblack
your dealership should not charge you anything , espeically your selling dealer
Kind of a hassle tho, I'm sure they have a lot of stuff to do. Plus this shouldn't take even like.. 2 minutes.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM

'08 C350
Service A has been completed. $280 for an oil change. Ouch! And they put in Castrol, because they said it is more readily available in the Pacific Northwest. Whatever.

I told the service guy that the Beep-Beep-Beep when locking was annoying as hell and he told me there is no way to change it. He said they have tried before and there is no way to disable or change the number of beeps or the volume of the beeps. I do not believe him, but I do not have any facts to prove he is blowing smoke up my ****.

Does anybody actually know for sure that this can be changed? I know someone quoted the manual as saying it could, but has anybody actually had it changed? I honestly don't know, maybe he was telling me the truth, but I doubt it. I just can't prove it.

So I went outside, squeezed through the hedge, jumped the ditch, and looked at the Mini Cooper's next door. Damn those are cute little cars! I think I'll convince the wife that she needs one. As much running around as she does, the non-turbo version at 37mpg is right up her alley.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Service A has been completed. $280 for an oil change. Ouch! And they put in Castrol, because they said it is more readily available in the Pacific Northwest. Whatever.

I told the service guy that the Beep-Beep-Beep when locking was annoying as hell and he told me there is no way to change it. He said they have tried before and there is no way to disable or change the number of beeps or the volume of the beeps. I do not believe him, but I do not have any facts to prove he is blowing smoke up my ****.

Does anybody actually know for sure that this can be changed? I know someone quoted the manual as saying it could, but has anybody actually had it changed? I honestly don't know, maybe he was telling me the truth, but I doubt it. I just can't prove it.

So I went outside, squeezed through the hedge, jumped the ditch, and looked at the Mini Cooper's next door. Damn those are cute little cars! I think I'll convince the wife that she needs one. As much running around as she does, the non-turbo version at 37mpg is right up her alley.
Yes, the beeps can be disabled at no-charge. Maybe the Mercedes 1-800 number could be of some assistance over the phone too. I took mine into Broadway Mercedes in Vancouver. No charge. And, the volume can be lowered (or completely disabled).
Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Just curious. Why?
I, too, am curious as to why people want the "beep beep beep" silenced. I spent 4 years with the W203 being silent when I locked it. I always had to turn around and look for the flashing lights as I locked it a second time just to make sure.

Now the W211 lets me know with the gentle beeps that she is locked.
And the single beep lets me see and hear where she is in the parking lot/garage. It is much quieter than the horn beeps that some American cars (like the wife's Chrysler 300) make.

To each his own, I guess...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
Originally Posted by C350Silver
Yes, the beeps can be disabled at no-charge. Maybe the Mercedes 1-800 number could be of some assistance over the phone too. I took mine into Broadway Mercedes in Vancouver. No charge. And, the volume can be lowered (or completely disabled).
do you know excatly what they did ?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:27 PM

'08 C350
Derspeed and GGM,

To me, the beeps are simply too loud. And three of them when locking is two beeps too many. I would settle for one softer beep when locking, and one softer beep when unlocking (there is a single unlock beep now, I just want the volume turned).

I turn and look at the car as I'm walking away and hitting the 'lock' button. I see the lights flash, and see and hear the mirrors fold. I really do not need three loud beeps, too.

To be honest, I find it embarrassing for my car to go BEEP-BEEP-BEEP when it locks. If there are people around, I stall and dig around in the back seat or look busy in the trunk. I am serious about that. For me, it really is embarassing to have my car making all this noise just because the doors locked. One beep, a much quiter beep, since I'm easily within earshot when I lock/unlock the doors, would suit me just fine.

C350Silver,

Thanks for the reply. I will contact the little weasel at the delaership that told me they could not adjust the number of beeps or the volume. I suspected he was incorrect, just had nothing to back up my suspicions. I ordered touch-up paint and will have to pick it up in a couple weeks. I'll have a chat with the weasel at that time. Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Derspeed and GGM,

To me, the beeps are simply too loud. And three of them when locking is two beeps too many. I would settle for one softer beep when locking, and one softer beep when unlocking (there is a single unlock beep now, I just want the volume turned).

I turn and look at the car as I'm walking away and hitting the 'lock' button. I see the lights flash, and see and hear the mirrors fold. I really do not need three loud beeps, too.

To be honest, I find it embarrassing for my car to go BEEP-BEEP-BEEP when it locks. If there are people around, I stall and dig around in the back seat or look busy in the trunk. I am serious about that. For me, it really is embarassing to have my car making all this noise just because the doors locked. One beep, a much quiter beep, since I'm easily within earshot when I lock/unlock the doors, would suit me just fine.

C350Silver,

Thanks for the reply. I will contact the little weasel at the delaership that told me they could not adjust the number of beeps or the volume. I suspected he was incorrect, just had nothing to back up my suspicions. I ordered touch-up paint and will have to pick it up in a couple weeks. I'll have a chat with the weasel at that time. Thanks again.
The number of beeps can't be altered but the volume can be disabled. You should get that dealership to check with Germany. It's annoying when dealers know so little. They should all just join this forum.

Man In Black,
No idea what they did. I suspect that it's a 5 minute fix.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Does anyone know if there are different sounds on different models? Does the W204 use the horn?

My W211 actually "chirps" rather than "beeps." It is not loud at all and I really appreciate not having to look back at the car as I lock it like I used to with the W203. I like to just hit the lock button as I walk away. I used to stop and look back and hit the lock button just to satisfy my need to "know" that I locked the car.

Now, my wife's Chrysler 300 uses the horn to let you know the car is locking. It is loud and can be embarrassing late at night. But the E350 is much less obtrusive.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to turn off the beep when you lock doors?