C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4Matic with 18in AMG's
Help with Back-up Camera and TPMS

Read the post directly above to see what I installed and how. So today, after driving 30 miles or so yesterday with no issues, the TPMS alarm goes off. Tire pressure is fine, but yellow light won't off. I read another post where dealer told someone their TPMS alarm was cause by back-up camera never saw a resolution of the problem. Anybody else have this issue....my camera is powered all the time, i know most folks have power only when backup lights are on. HELP - cause I love the camera!

Update - I was able to reset the TPMS system through the steering wheel controls, but what about the back-up camera could set it off in the first place. We will se if it goes off again in a another few days.

Last edited by paladiumonblack; 07-25-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Unless you have tapped power to the camera, and it is a CCD camera, to some other circuit besides auxiliary power, there is no way the camera has any effect on TPMS. You may have a faulty sensor or battery issue in the sensor (still faulty).
However, CMOS cameras, especially low cost units can emit radio frequencies that will interfere with any low power signal. Including TPMS, bluetooth (although the noise is not generally that high frequency as 2.4Ghz, we did test one CMOS camera from Kenwood that almost killed all bluetooth), keyless go, etc.
Your camera should have power all the time to avoid sync issues when switching to reverse. Hopefully you installed a CCD camera and not CMOS. CMOS can not tolerate constant power, and can emit radio waves that create problems. Try disconnecting power to the camera, reset the TPMS and see if the problem is resolved. Your TPMS will hard error and give a constant error if the error buffer builds up from an inability to communicate with a sensor. That hard error will need to be cleared.

Hope all this makes sense. I have been working for 16 hours already today, and forgive me if this is too convoluted. I will be happy to help resolve tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cartronics
Unless you have tapped power to the camera, and it is a CCD camera, to some other circuit besides auxiliary power, there is no way the camera has any effect on TPMS. You may have a faulty sensor or battery issue in the sensor (still faulty).
However, CMOS cameras, especially low cost units can emit radio frequencies that will interfere with any low power signal. Including TPMS, bluetooth (although the noise is not generally that high frequency as 2.4Ghz, we did test one CMOS camera from Kenwood that almost killed all bluetooth), keyless go, etc.
Your camera should have power all the time to avoid sync issues when switching to reverse. Hopefully you installed a CCD camera and not CMOS. CMOS can not tolerate constant power, and can emit radio waves that create problems. Try disconnecting power to the camera, reset the TPMS and see if the problem is resolved. Your TPMS will hard error and give a constant error if the error buffer builds up from an inability to communicate with a sensor. That hard error will need to be cleared.

Hope all this makes sense. I have been working for 16 hours already today, and forgive me if this is too convoluted. I will be happy to help resolve tomorrow.
Thanks -it is a CCD camera (Pioneer ND-BC4). I pulled power by using an add-a-fuse to spare location 83 (meant for tele-aid which my car does not have). It is only powered when key is on or in accessory position. I did pull power from the camera reset the TPMS. I guess we will find out in a day or two if it goes back off.

I did read on a Titan forum where there can be EMI interference with the TPMS from a Backup camera - if i understand your comments, this might be true for CMOS cameras, but true for CCDs? Hopefully my alarm going off was just a coincidence.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The furthest radiation I have measured from a CCD is about 6", and even then in frequencies that would not matter. Unless the camera is crazy defective (which should be shown on the image from it), it would not be the camera or circuit you went to. Although, for full disclosure, I have not tested that particular camera. Actually for even further disclosure, we quit testing cameras about a year ago when we found the perfect units. But I digress, I seriously doubt it is the camera.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cartronics
we quit testing cameras about a year ago when we found the perfect units.
Which unit did you settle on? was it the Kenwood CCD?? If so, what do you recommend now that it is out of production??
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We ended up on the same unit installed by Porsche, MB, Audi, VW, Lambo, Land Rover an a couple others. We eventually found their OEM supplier and negotiated a contract. The only unit that came close was a Sony, but it requires a 3/4 inch hole in the car.... Which we did not want.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:55 AM

C350
Originally Posted by paladiumonblack
Which unit did you settle on? was it the Kenwood CCD?? If so, what do you recommend now that it is out of production??
The Kenwood CMOS-200 is a great replacement for the older CCD model. I have it in my car and it works great. The picture is sharp and works well in low light situations. I'm sure a lot of other folks on forum have also installed the same unit.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM

C350
Originally Posted by paladiumonblack
The Kenwood CMOS-200 is a great replacement for the older CCD model. I have it in my car and it works great. The picture is sharp and works well in low light situations. I'm sure a lot of other folks on forum have also installed the same unit.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
C220 T W204
I have installed also a Kenwood CMOS-200 and it works great. I've tried first with a no-name cheap camera but it turned out to be PAL only so I had to order the CMOS-200.

Make sure that your camera is NTSC before buy it
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
I took some additional pictures of my install. Before I started, I wanted to see how to run the cable under the door sills but never found any online. So, this is my contribution to the thread. Thanks to all the owners that put time into creating these DIY's for us to share! The camera I used was an el-cheapo from eBay. But what I like about it is that it's small and sits flush to the plastic trim piece. After installation, you can barely see it unless you are looking for it.
Attached Thumbnails *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-.jpg   *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-b.jpg   *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-c.jpg   *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-e.jpg   *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-f.jpg  

*DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!-g.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
I took some additional pictures of my install. Before I started, I wanted to see how to run the cable under the door sills but never found any online. So, this is my contribution to the thread. Thanks to all the owners that put time into creating these DIY's for us to share! The camera I used was an el-cheapo from eBay. But what I like about it is that it's small and sits flush to the plastic trim piece. After installation, you can barely see it unless you are looking for it.
Thanks for posting the pics - now how about a picture of the backup camera video.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
nice job and writeup...u da man!!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC Luxury
Originally Posted by robyc1982
I have installed also a Kenwood CMOS-200 and it works great. I've tried first with a no-name cheap camera but it turned out to be PAL only so I had to order the CMOS-200.

Make sure that your camera is NTSC before buy it
I just bought the Kenwood CCD-2000 off of ebay but the people at the local install show are telling me that I need a module to connect it to (like the VIM). Will the camera connect to my COMAND without a seperate moduel or do I need to purchase a module. I have a 2008 C300 P1 with ipod connection. If I need to purchase a VIM module will this one on ebay work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360402692945

Sorry I am new to this forum and could not figure out how to send personal messages.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM

2011 C300 Sport
im in for a group purchase
Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM

C300
I might be as well if the price is right! We are talking about the CMOS-200 right?

Last edited by Chuey; 07-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 2008 C350
Try
Amazon.com Amazon.com
Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM

Anyone try this one? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVC1...e-RVC1150.html
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
nice...good writeup
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes C220 AMG Style
Hi all!! I have read all DIY about installing a rear view camera. I have for now just one question.

Do i order a PAL or NTSC camera??

Does it make any diference? Does it affect with DVD movies?!

I live in Portugal and the car (and the comand unit) is also european.

Thanks!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
Originally Posted by psaldanha
Hi all!! I have read all DIY about installing a rear view camera. I have for now just one question.

Do i order a PAL or NTSC camera??

Does it make any diference? Does it affect with DVD movies?!

I live in Portugal and the car (and the comand unit) is also european.

Thanks!!!
Your unit will be set to PAL as your DVD and TV's are all PAL so you will need a PAL version Camera.

Hope this helps.

On another note is that you can change your system from PAL to NTSC but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Mercedes C220 AMG Style
Thanks for your help!!

I am aware that i can change that setting. My question is if the rear view camera input signal must be PAL or NTSC (dont know if that setting will affect rear view cameras or just DVDs).

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Mercedes C220 AMG Style
Hi again.

So i started to install the rear view camera. Before i put back everything, i tested if the camera works and a problem came out...

When i engage rear, the image in the screen flickers and is black and white.

I have bought a PAL CCD rear view camera, the Comand is set to PAL in DVD option, rear view camera is in SRVC and my car is original for Germany.

The problem is because of PAL / NTSC? Does it means that the Comand only acepts NTSC rear view cameras?!

I have tested the camera (PAL) in a television (PAL) and it gives a nice image.

Please help..

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Find another way to tap a power to the camera, don't tap it from rear tailing light. Use rear cigarette or tap by using Add-a-fuse from rear sam (yes, rear cigarette socket don't use another socket).
Then blurring camera picture will gone.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM

CLS350 ///AMG
Exclamation

Originally Posted by psaldanha
Hi again.

So i started to install the rear view camera. Before i put back everything, i tested if the camera works and a problem came out...

When i engage rear, the image in the screen flickers and is black and white.

I have bought a PAL CCD rear view camera, the Comand is set to PAL in DVD option, rear view camera is in SRVC and my car is original for Germany.

The problem is because of PAL / NTSC? Does it means that the Comand only acepts NTSC rear view cameras?!

I have tested the camera (PAL) in a television (PAL) and it gives a nice image.

Please help..

Thanks!

PAL camera, not working, shaking picture,

the car is also euro model and a DVD is in PAL...

so i need NTSC camera to work fine?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

C300 4Matic
I can't see the images on this forum page. Is there another page I can get these instructions? I really need this help here.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *DIY* I've Unleashed a Cyclops!