C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How Do I Remove The Side Mirror Blinker Light Strip?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 Sedan / 01 Mazda 626
How Do I Remove The Side Mirror Blinker Light Strip?

I want to change the bulbs in the side mirrors to a different color.

I just have trouble figuring out how to open the side mirror light strip.

And what kind of bulbs go in the side mirror?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
I don't think that's ever been done on these forums...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I don't think it's legal to have any light color other than amber flashing on a vehicle unless it is a municipal or emergency vehicle.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Black C300
its very diffucult and plus u cant change the light bulb i hit my side mirror to another car it broke so i wass tryin to change it i had to brake it to replace it and i saw the light bulb which is some kind of a LED lookin type of shiit and i dont think its possible plus not worth doing it in my opinion
Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Are your mirrors folding? The flashers are LEDs. You need to get the mirror cover off & then the process should be obvious. On a 203 you push the mirror back against it's spring. Prop it open with a 2 inch spacer to stop it snapping back & release the cover by pushing a metal clip with a flat screwdriver. It then slides off & exposes the LED strip.

I'm sure that the 204 must be a variation of this.

Maybe an owner that has changed the mirror covers for CF or whatever can chime in & tell you how to release the covers. I have not done it yet on our 204.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
LED's not bulbs so you would have to do a lots of work to change them out. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM

07 C230 Sedan / 01 Mazda 626
Oh thats a lot of work, now I'm probably not gonna do it.

Does anyone know if LED bulbs work for the taillight turning signals?

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

like those

which ones are for mercedes dual circuit or single circuit?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM

c350 2008
seems to be alot of confusion here.... on the 2008 and 2009 the back portion of the side mirror that looks like a lens with a light inside of it is actually a sealed one peice part with the leds already inside them.... you cant take the leds out.... Even if you did you would risk ruining the part because the whole reason it is sealed is to keep moisture out of it. I have replaced the drivers side one because of physical damage i payed cash for that one... the other side started to get way too much condensation inside of it and after enough complaining i got the dealer to replace that under warranty... (if anyone has the condensation issue.. they wont replace it until u have water that is "pooled" inside the lens... so if its just a little moisture ur out of luck...they prob wont touch it)

In order to take out the lens in the event of someone needing to replace it like me because of psyical damage to it... here is the steps..
1. Remove the MIRROR... driver side mirror on p2 package is $600-800 dollars from the dealer BE CAREFULL with that side... the passenger side is $100 because it doesnt auto dimm itself it only has heat... You remove the mirorr by prying open the tabs under the mirror ... theres alot of ways u can do this but i find it best if u find a person with skinny fingers as that wont do damage to your plastics n wont risk having a loose 800 dollar mirror when u put it back on...

basically theres about 6 tabs that are spaced into a circle u just have to lift up 3 or 4 of them and nudge the mirror out gently... theres no screws holding the mirror in place it is a snap on part...

be carefull... the mirror has wires that can be damaged if u pull the mirror out too hard/fast.... unplug the wires... marking them would be a good idea so u know where to place them again.... the wires are for the heating element and light dimming feature...

2. now that the mirror is out there should be around 4-6 screws that hold the back plate of the mirror housing... unscrew those and remove the backplate...

3. the led is connected to this backplate... once u have it removed u can see the 3 or so screws that hold the led into the backplate.... for example my car is red... the backplate im referring to would be the red portion of the mirror housing... not the black area behind the mirror that u removed the screws from in step 2...

reassmbly should be self explanitory at this point... final step is to plug the mirror in and snap it into place.

Last edited by redc350; 12-14-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks - good info and a little different than the 203.

Like BiX and all Merc light components you can take the sealed flasher assemblies apart with a hot air gun - Change the inards & then reseal with a hot air gun. It's possible and been done.

My opinion - it's not worth the effort. That grey sealer is awful to work with.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Changes/203

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Thanks - good info and a little different than the 203.

Like BiX and all Merc light components you can take the sealed flasher assemblies apart with a hot air gun - Change the inards & then reseal with a hot air gun. It's possible and been done.

My opinion - it's not worth the effort. That grey sealer is awful to work with.
If one wants to change something, the W211 mirror light units will work and look much better. But, the plugs don't match so there must be a small modification done.

The W211 units cost less than $20US each.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

+1
Old 12-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Too many to list
redc350 - Thanks for the write up on this! Worked like a charm! Just thought I would add to this with a little more detail.

I ended up using a scribe with a 90 degree end to flip up those tabs. To get to the tabs, I would recommend adjusting the mirror facing down and getting to the tabs on top first, then adjusting the mirror to the far right and getting those tabs next. you might have to get your finger in between the mirror and the housing to keep the tabs from snapping back into place. Once you get the mirror off, there are 3 screws that you have to remove to remove the "outer frame" of the mirror. Then after that you have to split the outer housing (the colored part) from the bottom section of the housing. Once you have everything apart, then there are 2 screws that hold the signal lens on the colored housing. Piece of cake!

Took about 15-20 minutes to do the job for the one mirror on the drivers side. I could probably do it in 10 minutes now that I have done it once and know what to expect.

Last edited by phnxpwr; 12-19-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by phnxpwr
redc350 - Thanks for the write up on this! Worked like a charm! Just thought I would add to this with a little more detail.

I ended up using a scribe with a 90 degree end to flip up those tabs. To get to the tabs, I would recommend adjusting the mirror facing down and getting to the tabs on top first, then adjusting the mirror to the far right and getting those tabs next. you might have to get your finger in between the mirror and the housing to keep the tabs from snapping back into place. Once you get the mirror off, there are 3 screws that you have to remove to remove the "outer frame" of the mirror. Then after that you have to split the outer housing (the colored part) from the bottom section of the housing. Once you have everything apart, then there are 2 screws that hold the signal lens on the colored housing. Piece of cake!

Took about 15-20 minutes to do the job for the one mirror on the drivers side. I could probably do it in 10 minutes now that I have done it once and know what to expect.
Thanks for the added info on this. Just replaced my passenger side that was cracked by a rock a couple years back and it took me about 25 mins. As you noted, the next one, if ever needed, will be 10 mins or less.
Ahh, now my car is perfect again...unless someone dinged me in the parking lot already...
Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 PM

C300 2009
Originally Posted by phnxpwr

Can you share the picture of scribe tool that you used? Can you buy it at Walmart? A nice short video would be great too. Thanks Hubie