C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mushy brake pedal feel after brake pad replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
Originally Posted by muttlymoo
hey everyone ..sorry Bit of a thread resurrection!..lol

i have seat leon cupra r with standard 4 pot brembos upfront and standard vag items on the rear

ive recently had all the calipers off my car to have them refurbished.. however on refitting them and bleeding them i've been left with a long pedal travel.. the brakes work ok .. and they pump up to very solid with the engine off but as soon as i start it there seems to be a fairly long pedal before they seem to do anything

now this is the first and only time ive ever heard anyone come up with this caliper over return problem that glyn mentions .. but it sounds exactly like what im getting and makes total sence!..its been driving mad.. i thought i must have air still in the system somewhere.

do you think think this could be my problem and has anyone tried his fix and does it work? or is it just worth waiting till it sorts itself out?..

thanks
matt
Had the same long pedal travel on my car when I did a brake service. Apparently, the proper bleed procedure typically requires you to actuate the ABS/DSC valves while performing a full bleed to release any air that might be trapped in the ABS/DSC unit. On my C-class we weren't able to actuate the valves (since I don't have the MB Star system) so, while the car was on the lifter and all the wheels suspended, I put the car into drive, allowed the wheels to spin and then applied the brakes multiple times to actuate the ABS. This should actuate the ABS valves. We then re-bled the system in the usual fashion to get any air that was released by actuating the ABS valves. The pedal feel was as good a new after that.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Any air in the system would obviously cause a low pedal. How did air get into the ABS block? Did someone let the reservoir run dry?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Any air in the system would obviously cause a low pedal. How did air get into the ABS block? Did someone let the reservoir run dry?
The place where I had my brakes serviced that caused my long pedal travel was at the dealers. I took the car back to the dealers to try and cure the problem yet after three times, same issue. I later then took my car to a buddy of mine's auto shop where we did the procedure I mentioned in my previous post to induce the ABS and force the air out of the system. It worked like a charm and my brakes feel as good as new now. I assume the procedure they did at the dealer's wasn't done right?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfa Romeo 156
Brake pedal on an Alfa...

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Carsey - It's a variation of the over return theme on these cars. Partially worn rear pads & new fronts leaves you with greater fluid requirement to engage the rears than the front. This unbalances the 2 circuits requiring just one light pump of the pedal to regain the ideal pedal movement or firmness of pedal. It's hit and miss depending on stiction in the rear calipers. Sometimes you get away with it & sometimes you don't. You have no idea how many cars this plagues. Mine included.

Your braking bias front to rear is correct but has nothing to do with this situation.

BTW - the term stiction comes from the shock absorber industry & describes the stick/slip action of seals on the shaft. The sames applies to the action of the D shaped cross section seal on a caliper piston operating in the bore. The D section seal looks a bit like an O Ring. If it sticks to the bore instead of sliding down the bore you suffer over return. We are talking pretty small movements here.

You are lucky you don't own an Alfa - they are chronic for doing this. Our cars don't do it as badly but it's irritating nevertheless. I would have said it was a Brembo thing but older Alfa's with Lockheed Bonaldi brakes were even worse.
I own an Alfa Romeo and that has happened to me. Just needed to say thank you because you were the first one to really Know that problem and solution.
Now i have a day of brake fixing to do Cheers mate!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck! It's a pain. I owned 7 Alfa's in a row at one time & had this issue with most of them.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
OK OLD thread but this is extremely important since it's one of the FEW threads I found.

Just did a brake upgrade on our w211 (09), and I completely dissasembled and redid all piston seals and dust covers. When I installed them on the car I pushed ALL the pistons all the way.. BUT I bleed the system and used the brake pedal to push the pistons against the pads/rotors.

Now it looks like what you are describing is what I am experiencing.

The pedal will go all the way down before it engages the brakes. IF I pump the brakes quickly then the pedal engages at half way point.

I had my wife start pushing the pedal on the car while it was on and I had it on my lift. I noticed that the pistons ONLY started to move as she was at the bottom movement of the pedal.. Then when she lets go of the pedal I can see the pistons by about 1mm not touching the pads....

I am guessing this is happening on all 8 piston fronts (amg) and 4 piston rears (amg).

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

A classic case of caliper over return!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Welp that's good t know. I was thinking my master cylinder was bad or worse the calipers. It's funny I've done many calipers before but never had this happen.

So I removed the pads on one caliper at a time and had my wife push the brake pedal until I could see the pistons moving out of that specific caliper that I was working on. Then I had to ever so slightly push the pistons back in, in order to fit the pads in.. some were an extremely tight fix. Zero movement between the pads and rotor now, where before there was maybe a 1-2mm slop after removing the retaining pins.

I have to go get another bottom of MB dot4 plus fluid tomorrow so I can't bleed the brakes. However when I reading the how to on w211, the pressure should be set to 2 bar (29psi) and my power bleeder I only went up to 13psi. When I hooked up my compressor with the motive power adaptor for the Merc, and set it to 29psi I cracked open the rear passenger caliper and per the instructions while it's pressurize it's very important for someone to be pushing the brake pedal down as well. Needless to say there was some air bubbles coming out. Not a lot but I think the higher PSI and the fact that someone was also pressing the brake pedal was helping.

I will be doing the same tomorrow to the rest of the calipers once I get the fluid.

I'm hoping this helps...lol

-Nigel
Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Good news ,thanks for the feedback.JC
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 PM

Welp going to bleed them today after I pick up some fluid. Couldn't make it to the MB dealer on Monday.

Going to ask a painfully stupid question. As the brake pads wear what is to prevent the caliper piston over return?

IE: How is it different if I pushed them in too far last time but as the pads will wear with time wouldn't the pistons suffer from the same thing since they are being pressed up against the pads/rotor, eventually wouldn't they pull back in?

I'll report back here by noon hopefully everything will be as it should.

Thanks
-Nigel
Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy

Going to ask a painfully stupid question. As the brake pads wear what is to prevent the caliper piston over return?

Thanks
-Nigel
Not a stupid question at all. You have to hope in daily use that the D seals slide & don't stick to the caliper bore.

I'm having that issue with my CLK right now. Had a perfect pedal with new front pads. They are now about half worn and my pedal is no longer as good & has more travel than when pads were new. Due for a service & will fix!
The following users liked this post:
NewShockerGuy (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Welp bled the brakes last night. Went through the entire bottle to make sure everything was out from before. A few air bubbles on the front right caliper and rear left caliper came out. Nothing crazy. Went and drove the car today. The pedal does NOT go to the floor!!

THANK YOU for actually having knowledge in this and posting about it. I can't stress that enough! I had zero clue as to why this was like it because I've never heard or experienced it and figured the master cylinder was bad or something even though the previous calipers were OK..lol

I did several test stops and hard stops to bed the brake pads in. Zero issues. Car stops and stops quite well now... surprisingly quick actually.

Doing exactly what you said worked. I took out the pads in each caliper one at a time, had the wife push the brake pedal and I was controlling which pistons were coming out (so that all 8 weren't flying out at the same time) and then did each side of the fronts then did the rears. Pads were hard to put back in because there was zero play/gaps like there were before. I am confident that everything is how it should be. No leaks of brake fluid and no air bubbles. And best of all no caliper piston over return!

I'm a happy camper :-)

-Nigel
Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Nigel. Ah! I'm delighted for you. Yeah ~ lots of pistons to worry about. Thank you for reporting back so we increase our knowledge base.

Pleased you are a happy camper.
KR
G
Rodpwnz (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 05:02 PM

2013 C300
Hi, I seem to be having the return problem described in this thread. The question I have is how to correct as there seems to be at least 3 approaches. Disassemble - no thank you. Old break pads without friction material and stomping on brakes to move piston its full travel distance and then slowly return just until you can get your new pads in...is this trial and error until they fit?? Option 3 seems similar but brake pedal was pressed (without pads??) I assume this was done very carefully moving the piston only 1 or 2 millimeters. Is there a preferred method? How do you know you've moved the piston enough or conversely how do you know if you haven't moved the piston too far back in? Hope my question makes sense
Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

The safe way is to remove the pads. Put a spacer in place so that the pistons can't come all the way out. Put you foot on the brake to move all the pistons forward. Then press back gently so that you can just slip a new pad in. Then bleed from longest to shortest brakeline.

Good luck!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-25-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Brent H (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
If it's spongy than 9 out of 10 it's a bad bleed job. Unless the mechanic was negligent on the install.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM

2013 C300
Sorry for being thick but I don't get the "push back gently" part...I'll need a c clamp, I believe, to push the piston back in unless I open the bleeder valve?? Is there something I'm missing...a trick or something. Once again excuse my ignorance, I've done many brakes before but not on a mercedes.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
Originally Posted by Brent H
Sorry for being thick but I don't get the "push back gently" part...I'll need a c clamp, I believe, to push the piston back in unless I open the bleeder valve?? Is there something I'm missing...a trick or something. Once again excuse my ignorance, I've done many brakes before but not on a mercedes.
Its not rocket science. If you've replaced pads and flushing brake lines on other cars, it's the same process
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brent H
You can generally push them back with a large screwdriver. If you have trouble crack the bleed nipple slightly.

Caliper over return is common on Benz cars. My CLK is developing it again as front pads wear & D seals don't slide down the caliper bore. Most people don't understand it & you can pressure bleed until you are blue in the face with no improvement.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-25-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 PM

So make sure the brake reservoir cap is open, this will help when you are gently pushing the pistons back.

As Glyn mentioned the spacer idea is great. When this happened with me I only did one side first. I had my wife get in the car and I had her SLOWLY pushing the brake pedal down. I could see 4 pistons moving on one side and the ones that were coming out a little TOO fast I simply used a smaller wood dowel rod to stop those pistons from moving so that the others could move a slightly forward. What would happen is that they would move out just a TAD too far and I would not be able to put the pad in. I used the same dowel rod to gently push against the caliper so that the piston would go in 1mm-2mm at a time until I could JUST squeeze the pad in. It was still quite difficult to put the pad in compared to other vehicles that I've had where it just slips in. After doing that bleed the entire system all over again starting with the furthest most caliper/bleed screw. Then go all the way around ensuring the that the brake reservoir doesn't run dry and that you are not introducing air into the system.

By doing exactly what Glyn recommended earlier I went from having the pedal go practically to the floor before the brakes engaged to a normal engagement of how the brake pedal should normally feel.

Hope that helps.

-Nigel
Brent H (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM

2013 C300
Well I'd like to report success and say a big thank you to all that have contributed to this topic and especially Glyn - Thank You!! A couple of "tweaks" or alternatives to consider for the process. Before starting take a "visual" as to where the piston is currently sitting so you have a good idea as to where you will need to retract it. As for pushing the piston out, old pads are the way to go if you still have them but I'm sure the wood shim idea would work fine. I did not have to move the piston too far out (maybe 1 cm). I then used a c-clamp to retract the piston close to where it needed to be (based on the visual). On one side it was a bit loose so it went on fine and there was no issue with over return), on the other it was too tight but with a bit of side to side rocking motion (the pads are bevelled at top and bottom) I was able move the piston a bit more to get the pads on. The only other thing I'd say is I placed the caliper back over the rotor to push the pistons out although I suppose you could do it without placing over the rotor, just make sure your shims are the right size!!!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Pleased you are sorted.

I always do this with the caliper over the rotor/disc. You certainly don't want a piston to pop right out of it's bore. Then you are faced with a further problem.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 AM

2013 C300
So, I had the over return problem and fixed it with the suggestions in the thread. I thought I was all good but then after about 5 KM of driving I started to notice a noise. It sounded like a low hum, possibly a vibration. Most of the time it goes away when I step on the brake. So I took apart the front driver side again, cleaned everything up even more, drove the piston out and back in again, put it all back together and still the same thing. I did notice after the first "adjustment" of the piston and a bit of driving, that I could still see at least a milimeter of space between the rotor and pad which struck me as odd. It's almost like the pad is slightly binding (although I'm not sure how). I'm at the point now where I'm thinking of getting some new seals and "rebuilding" the caliper as I'm speculating the over return problem is still there and there's enough space for the pad to move slightly ajar and then vibrate off of the rotor.

Would appreciate it if anyone had any ideas
Old 05-04-2017, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Maybe a little grease or a small piece of emery paper between caliper & pad to stop the vibration. This was a fix in the old days !!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
I typically just use real big channel locks to push the Pistons in but I bought this for my merc and it's great!
Amazon Amazon

It's not perfect but the best design imo for pushing in the pistons. Pushes them in evenly and is a solid tool. It would also prevent pushing the pistons in too far.

On a side note, reading the diy abs bleeding procedure. I assume you crack the bleeder very slightly and then do it? Or is there a bleeder port in the abs unit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mushy brake pedal feel after brake pad replacement.