C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Removal of Center Air Con Vent

Old 08-26-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C200K
Removal of Center Air Con Vent

Can someone show me how to remove the center air con vent please..
My car have got lots of rattling sound coming out from the vent.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
When you have the cover for your MM screen open, you'll see two rubber stoppers at the top of the vent. Remove the stoppers by simply peeling them off. Once peeled off, you'll see a hole in the shape of an oval. Typically you'll need a special MB tool to insert there and pull the vent out but you can make one yourself with a coat hanger. Here's how mine looks like.

Insert the tool, sideways and then rotate the tool so that the short "L" faces down and just yank it out. You'll need to insert your tool about half an inch in.

Here's a thread on how to retrofit the COMMAND. Has information on how to remove your center AC vent. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...m-writeup.html

You can do that or just use a swiss army knife inserted from the side of your vents and yank it out, though I really don't recommend this as it will surely damage your trim and dashboard if you're not careful.

What kind of noise are you hearing? I also hear and experience a lot of noise coming from the center vent. I had it removed and looked around, it seemed like it was coming from where the hazard buttons are and also from the AC vent rubbing against the top of the radio head unit. I tried putting some foam in between it, it helped but on a really hot day or when I drive on road roads, I still here it sometimes.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 AM

W204 C200K
Thank you for your advised. U actually tried to pull it out with a screw driver. Thanks god nothing happen. I have got lots of rattling sound coming out from the vent closure I think. I press it firm from the top and the noise does stop for a shirt while but it will come back. Now
Let's see what can I do about it if I got to open it.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
What is so wrong with an original Mercedes cluster hook. It only costs a few bucks.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

08 c350
youtube Midcity engineering w204 VIM install
Old 06-22-2011, 02:59 AM

2010 C300 Sport
how do i remove vent in dashboard

the chrome center tab in the middle of each vent on the dashboard is missing therefore i cannot control the one rear vent behind the forward vent MB wants my first born to replace. As it is, I am paying 50 for each vent on the right and left sides of the dashboard and the dual center vents.

Can some one give me some ideas in how to remove the vents. Also I need to replace the passengers side mirror. Does someone know to do that? Any help would be appreciated. My car is a 2010 C300 Sport

Thanks Richard

Last edited by SloNeasy123; 06-22-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: model and year of car wasn't put in
Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 AM

2011 E350 4 Matic
kevinwithdabenz is correct, youtube the video and you will see that no tools are required. the installer does it really quick so I watched it a few times and then did the same without any tools.

I used a plastic card (slightly thinner then a credit card) and wedged it between the vent and the dashboard. Make sure you wedge it low! NOT where the dial is to open and close the vent as that area is thinner.

Once you get the went lifted a bit you can pull it out further with a flat screw driver (cover it with some tape to prevent scratching the dash or vent) then you can pull it out.

So no special hooks required. Be careful as there are wires in the back that need to be disconnected before you can remove the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails Removal of Center Air Con Vent-removing-vent.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
w204 VIM.pdf (962.2 KB, 5154 views)

Last edited by 2nice4me; 06-23-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM

\
Why are you replacing vents and how is this not a warranty thing? Unless you ran over your SA's pet you should be able to get Mercedes to at least do the labor at no charge. When I swapped my vents out for wood trim they did my labor for free.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 AM

2010 C300 Sport
removing vents

I bought the car used under warranty and noticed that the the chrome little do hickeys in the center of each vent were missing. I realized then that those little do hickeys also operate the vent behind each vent. They told me i had to replace each separate vent

Thanks guys for helping me out

Rico