C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

need help with hid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
need help with hid

so i just recently put on new JDM hid lights in my car. it seems only the left low beam properly turns on verses the right one which blinks for 5 mins then shuts off competely. When the car is not on, i can turn the switch to keep the hids running fine with both right and left working, but when im driving the right low beam doesnt work. any ideas how to fix it?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
are you running a relay wire harness or did you just plug it directly to your factory wire harness?
You can troubleshoot by switching the bulb from the left to the right and if the problem still occurs it will narrow down your problem by ruling out bulb problem.
Another way to narrow down the problem is wiring the ballast directly to your battery to draw direct power and see if the problem still occurs. If it does you can rule out relay harness and your answer is defective ballast.

Do you notice any warning lights on the dash saying bulb out? May need an error canceler.

try troubleshooting with the methods above first and see if it fixes anything. If it works while the ballast are powered directly from the battery instead of the factory wire harness then you'll need to run a relay harness ($10-$15) which draws direct power from the battery.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM

2018 C43 Sedan
yea i may have to attach the harness because right now i have the ballast and error connected to the the h7 bulbs on each side right and left. But only the left one works. the thing is im alittle iffy on doing anything to the battery. is the do you know any DIY to show how to mount the harness?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:07 PM

C300
The relay harness is just a harness that draws direct power from the bat. Your not really messing with the battery but just drawing power directly from it.

check the picture for the diagram of how its wired up.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails need help with hid-hid-relay-wiring.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

2018 C43 Sedan
yea i got that part figured out, its just the plug in to the factory headlight doesnt fit, unless theres another plug im not seeing. Right now the hid bulb is plugged into the ballast and factory plug on both right and left side. The harness is attached to the batteries positive and negative, and the left and right ballast leaving one plug. Im not sure where that last plug fits in. At the same time, the both right and left bulbs have an extra connector which isnt plugged into anything at all

Right side Left side
Factory plug*************Positive Negative********Factory plug
***/************************|************** /
Bulb----Ballast-----------------Harness-----------Ballast---Bulb
** \************************|************* \
Not plug into anything**********Nothing******** Nothing

as you can see 3 plugs arent plugged into anything
Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

C300
I've attached a better image of the relay diagram. Note that this diagram is for a different bulb size but the figuration is the same besides the extra plug for the bulb (this diagram shows 3 plugs going into the bulb which for a H7 kit only requires 2)

If you look at the top left corner you will see only 1 plug that is used for your factory wire harness. Basically what your doing is taking power from the battery now instead of using your factory wire harness to power the HID's. The aftermarket relay harness is now using your factory wire harness as a signal plug since power is being drawn from the battery direct. You should only be using 1 of your factory wire harness plugs to connect to the aftermarket relay wire harness. The other factory wire plug is not used and can be left unplugged.

I wish I was there in person to help as explaining it is getting complicated and I'm also not 100% sure what your telling me too haha.

Anyways I hope this diagram helps more as this one actually shows the ballast and plugs/wires of what/where things go.

------EDIT--------

I just noticed that you said you already have a wire harness running on your car. If that is so then you can rule out wire harness and conclude that you have a defective ballast.
Attached Thumbnails need help with hid-relay-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by tehc300; 09-14-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM

2018 E63s
just purchase these and everything will be fine

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Er...minator-3-PAIR
Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM

2018 C43 Sedan
i dont want to sound like an idiot but heres my problem

i have these bulbs

My harness wont fit in to factory headlight plug

these are the h7 hid bulbs i have
Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Uh, you don't plug *anything* into the new H7 HID bulb. The actual connector you see plugs into the error cancellor, which then plugs into the ballast. See those two loose wires (one black, one red) w/ the spade connectors at the end? They plug into your factory headlight connector, the one that was originally connected to your headlight bulb. Connect the black wire spade into the side of the connector w/ the thinner wire. Connect the red wire spade into the other side.

For full instructions, download the H7 Install Guide from DDM. Has very good pics... https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...mid=13&nav=0,1