C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Choppy Windshield Wipers

Old 11-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 C300
Choppy Windshield Wipers

I have a 2008 C350 and the wipers are very choppy. I clay barred the windshield this weekend and I also changed out the wipers but still no luck. I've even used rain-x and ,unfortunately, no improvement. The wiper is not just annoyingly choppy but it is ridiculously loud and obnoxious. I've had to take it to the dealer quite a few times and they cannot fix it.

Does anyone know how to adjust the wiper arm?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
I love my Mercedes, but it has the worst windshield wipers of any car that I have ever owned. I've never heard so much noise from a pair of windshield wipers in my life........actually its quite embarassing.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
The W209's had a service bulletin for the wiper problem. Try and contact the dealer and see if there is anything for the W204. I was having the same problem, but once I changed them it went away.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
We hardly get any rain here in central cali but when we did a couple of years ago I had the same problem where my wiper blades won't glide down smoothly so I took it back to the dealer to had it checked, they replaced my wiper blades (under warranty) and never had any problems since then

Last edited by ZeroSeVen; 11-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 PM

'16 C300
I've done everything everyone has suggested. I am just curious if anyone knows how to adjust the wiper arm?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I discovered what has been causing my problems. I too have had the same issues and replacing the wiper blades have not helped. I realized that when I wash or even worse, wax my car and buff it out. I would go over the windshield with the same microfiber cloth, getting wax or car wash detergent all over it. Clay bar helps, but what worked best for me is to use sprayway glass cleaner (the stuff in the aerosol can). After that, and then wiping down and taking any contaminants off the wiper blades, I now have no chattering and only silky smooth operation. Hope if you do the same it will work for you.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Usually less tension = longer spring
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 PM

C
Originally Posted by jctevere
I discovered what has been causing my problems. I too have had the same issues and replacing the wiper blades have not helped. I realized that when I wash or even worse, wax my car and buff it out. I would go over the windshield with the same microfiber cloth, getting wax or car wash detergent all over it. Clay bar helps, but what worked best for me is to use sprayway glass cleaner (the stuff in the aerosol can). After that, and then wiping down and taking any contaminants off the wiper blades, I now have no chattering and only silky smooth operation. Hope if you do the same it will work for you.
I have the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion. How long does the solution last until it becomes choppy again?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 PM

'16 C300
What spray away glass cleaner are you referring to? I haven't seen anything that has come out of an aerosol can. Could you suggest a brand or something else? Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM

C
Originally Posted by Humvee21
What spray away glass cleaner are you referring to? I haven't seen anything that has come out of an aerosol can. Could you suggest a brand or something else? Thanks
He's referring to this:

http://www.spraywayinc.com/products....&from=autobody
Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Yes, that is what I was referring to. Works great. Invisible glass is ok, but is a PITA to avoid streaking. Make sure you search "sprayway" and not spray away, apparently it makes a huge difference in search results. Lol.

This solution lasts for me until I wash the car and get soapy reside on the windshield again or on the wipers. But it isn't really a big deal as long as you use glass cleaner again. Ever sicne I have been careful to not wash my windows with car wash detergent, but no matter what, you can't avoid it from getting on your windshield.

It is also very important that you get this residue not only off the windshield, but the wipers as well. I just wipe it down with a water cloth and that works well. But I would guess that some rubber cleaner or mothers back to black might work too. But that might streak when you use the wiper, as it is recommended not to get that stuff on glass or it is a PITA to get off.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Also try cleaning the blades with rubbing alcohol. Even new blades can have contaminates on them.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I have never personally used Rubbing Alcohol to clean windshield wiper blades. But speaking form a theoretical stance, rubbing alcohol dries out rubber which I suspect could cause choppiness, at least I think? Either way, most all rubbing alcohols contain lanolin, which will cause smearing and streaking. I would instead recommend that you try a bottle of denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and clean the wipers and windshield with that.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
What about cleaning the wiper blades with vinegar? Will that work?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I have never personally used Rubbing Alcohol to clean windshield wiper blades. But speaking form a theoretical stance, rubbing alcohol dries out rubber which I suspect could cause choppiness, at least I think? Either way, most all rubbing alcohols contain lanolin, which will cause smearing and streaking. I would instead recommend that you try a bottle of denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and clean the wipers and windshield with that.
Been doing this for over 30 years with no problems.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Been doing this for over 30 years with no problems.
In that case I bow down to you

I really was just speculating, I'm just some 20 year old kid who thinks he knows everything. Haha. My windshield is actually starting to get streaking after my wash today, so I am going to try the rubbing alcohol method and let you know how I make out!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
Originally Posted by Humvee21
I've even used rain-x and ,unfortunately, no improvement.
Instead of Rain-X (which I used in the past) I now use Auqapel, last much longer.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM

C250 4M Sport
Just wondering is everyone taking about the left wiper (Driver side)?
After the left wiper blade swings upward, the water just stay there.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM

2019 C63S
Yes, mine do the exact same thing and it drives me f*ing crazy. The driver side especially exhibits this behavior under light rain toward the lower end of the wiper.

I've also made sure my windshield was super clean and slick but that only lasted about a day. I haven't ever used rubbing alcohol on the wipers themselves but I'll give it a shot.

This is maddening indeed.

Last edited by pebblebeach; 12-18-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I had the same problem when my C was BRAND new and it drove me crazy- I had to turn the radio up so that I wouldn't have to hear it.

I brought it into the dealer and they replaced the wiper blades AND adjusted the arm angle. I think that it was putting too much pressure on the blade and not allowing it to "flip" over on the upswing. After they did these two things, the wipers are much quieter, but I can still see it chattering a bit- I'm afraid the noise will come back but we'll see.

Clearly a design flaw here.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 AM

2008 C350
I think your post and info has been very helpful but i wanted to mention what I think of a product you recc'd -- Mothers Back to Black.

I really think this is an awful product prone to streaking. You can't get it at your AutoZone -- it's a so-called boutique product -- but try Griots Garage Trim Detailer.

If you don't have a favorite online store, I like AutoGeek.net a lot but mostly becuase I'm in FL so I get "next day" delivery. No matter where you buy it, if you've bought your car wash itself from like WalMart, pick up a bottle of the P21S Shampoo. Follow the directions. The lubrication there of your wash pad / micro fiber over the paint is just incredible. I love that stuff.

Thanks for the recc on Sprayway. I'll check that out when my can of Stoners is depleted.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM

09 C350
I cleaned the windshield with Aquapel's cleaner, then put Aquapel on last weekend and no chatter anymore.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 PM

2008 c300
How do I change the glass on the fog lamps of a 08 c300
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 AM

W204 Estate Avant Garde
Choppy, noisy and crazy wiper - problem due to windshield washer fluid

Not sure if this problem was solved. I will clean my windshield with glass cleaner solution and newspaper. The wiper will work perfect for a while only to reappear again. I also have problem with the rain sensor working erratically. It will not wipe when the windshield is already covered with raindrops and will sometimes wipe wildly when the glass is already dry.

I struggled with the problem for a year and realize there is a pattern of the problem restarting as soon as I use the windshield washer. So, I decided to drain all the original Mercedes windshield washer fluid and replaced it with an off-the-shelf (blue) fluid. The problem completely disappeared. I know that there are many advice against using anything other than Mercedes washer fluid. But, for some reason, I think the Mercedes washer fluid produces a sticky film. This sticky film also affects the rain sensor.

Last edited by Dream Ace; 04-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
When I bought my 2012 it was raining that day, and the wipers were damn near useless with the chatter + the sensor was driving them crazy. Cleaned the windshield, blades, and rain-x'd everything. Much improved, but I still agree that the wipers suck. The rain sensor is equally horrible - it fails to sense the difference between rain and streaks (from the wipers) across the windshield! You know the streaking im talking about - that film of water the wipers will often leave behind - it evaporates within a few seconds, but the damn sensor is too 'stupid' to compensate for this, so it drives the wipers faster, causing more wipes and more streaks, which causes a sort of feedback loop until the wipers are running full speed and its hardly drizzling out.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choppy Windshield Wipers