Broken Tire Valve - MBWorld.org Forums

Log In 


C-Class (W204) 2008-Present: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Broken Tire Valve

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Drives: C300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Broken Tire Valve

First time poster here...

I have a C300 and a broken tire valve (please see picture).

Air has been leaking very slowly and of course I can't put any air into the tire.

Is there any way I can replace just this valve stem or do I have to replace the whole TPMS sensor? If the latter, can someone please give me the TPMS part # (previous threads say to buy them from TireRack but I don't see them? And where would I get them reprogrammed?)

Thank you.

Edit: Ok I see that I have to call TireRack to order the TPMS and it seems like it will reprogram itself. But, I still would like advice on whether I can just somehow repair this valve stem or replace the whole sensor.


Last edited by iskcon; 08-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.
iskcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 29
Drives: 2009 C300 4matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a common problem with these valve stems. There must be other threads about this.... gonna go searching now.
416to212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,033
Drives: 2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unforunately the valve stems are a part of the TPMS sensor and have been known to be brittle or corrode fairly quickly.
I had one of mine replaced with an OEM sensor, and recently the other 3 were shot. I had enough of these sensors that I had my dealership replace them with non-sensor stems (much cheaper without the future headaches). Because I still have the newer sensor on one of my tires I do not get the annoying TPMS warning message on my dash if you did with no sensors at all.

If you really want to keep the TPMS function, I recommend getting aftermarket sensors which are much cheaper (don't know if they will corrode and deteriorate like the OEMs). Tire Rack is the best place to get them.
You will need to get sensors that have a 433MHz frequency.
aowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NNJ
Posts: 957
Drives: '11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The information posted above is WRONG. You can replace just the stem, without replacing teh TPMS. I have many sets of 433 mhz sensors, I have 5 sets of wheels. The sensor just piggy backs teh stem, its square on the bottom. My one set of wheels I cant install TPMS, so I have bands around the inside of the wheel with jsut the TPMS wing. There is a rebuild kit from the dealer, its 11 dollars with new stem and Oring. U have to dismount the tire and be careful not to crack the base of the TPMS. I wouldnt use the tire rack sensors, theres lots of cheap ones on ebay even new ones. I am 100% positive of this info, done it more than once myself

* if you really need a picture I can seperate one of my spares and post a pic if it will help u understand better. Let me know*
jimmythegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Drives: C300
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek View Post
The information posted above is WRONG. You can replace just the stem, without replacing teh TPMS. I have many sets of 433 mhz sensors, I have 5 sets of wheels. The sensor just piggy backs teh stem, its square on the bottom. My one set of wheels I cant install TPMS, so I have bands around the inside of the wheel with jsut the TPMS wing. There is a rebuild kit from the dealer, its 11 dollars with new stem and Oring. U have to dismount the tire and be careful not to crack the base of the TPMS. I wouldnt use the tire rack sensors, theres lots of cheap ones on ebay even new ones. I am 100% positive of this info, done it more than once myself

* if you really need a picture I can seperate one of my spares and post a pic if it will help u understand better. Let me know*
If you could please, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm also from Northern NJ (judging from your bio) so if you could help me out, I'd pay you for your time. Thanks.
iskcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,033
Drives: 2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks jimmy, that is good to know.

I still kept the old sensors that the dealership removed, sounds like they could be still salvaged. Is there a part number for the rebuild kit?
aowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RobertG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,825
Drives: things with and without wheels
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To prevent future failures, replace your valve stem caps with non metalic ones. I know that they are plain and ugly but will not seize.
RobertG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
tanktube67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SFV CA
Posts: 4,436
Drives: 2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertG View Post
To prevent future failures, replace your valve stem caps with non metalic ones. I know that they are plain and ugly but will not seize.
+1

I replaced my nice fancy valve caps with plastic caps, after reading so many valve steams failures threads
tanktube67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 557
Drives: W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good info about these. I was wondering how many have broken too.
Stevedotmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Drives: '08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskcon View Post
First time poster here...

I have a C300 and a broken tire valve (please see picture).

Air has been leaking very slowly and of course I can't put any air into the tire.

Is there any way I can replace just this valve stem or do I have to replace the whole TPMS sensor? If the latter, can someone please give me the TPMS part # (previous threads say to buy them from TireRack but I don't see them? And where would I get them reprogrammed?)

Thank you.

Edit: Ok I see that I have to call TireRack to order the TPMS and it seems like it will reprogram itself. But, I still would like advice on whether I can just somehow repair this valve stem or replace the whole sensor.
While you are deciding what to do, clean those filthy wheels.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
RickP330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 468
Drives: 2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine broke too. $97 per valve to get it fixed at the dealer. Welcome to the club. I have plastic caps now too....
RP
RickP330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NNJ
Posts: 957
Drives: '11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will post pics in the morning for u guys on how to separate the stem from the sensor. The trick I use is anti-seize on the stem seat for the TPMS valve stem and I use metal caps but I lube those too. Ive run nitrogen in my last 2 sets of wheels I have been running most of the summer and I havent had any fluctuation of PSI, the stuff really works well. I notice up to 5 psi difference from a brisk morning to a warm day this time last year and I dont change even 1 psi this week with nitrogen
jimmythegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 48
Drives: C300 sport 4matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add another one to the broken valve stems. I can't figure out how it even happened. I put air in last Sunday, so I know it was fine then. Did not drive the car until yesterday, and then discovered it this afternoon. Only parked in a driveway and in 'straight in' parking lots so I know it could not be from hitting a curb, so the only thing I can think is that it broke when I hit a a pile of snow/slush from the weekend's storm. What a pain in the a**, I hate TPMS. I've had more issues with 3 months of an MB than 5 years with a Camry...
AlonzoMosely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Drives: 2010 c300 sport 4matic
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken valve stem

mine just broke as well 2010 c300 sport still under warrenty but i dont know if they will cover a valve stem, good to know they dont have to change out the tpms unit
patdown45 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Full Story On Cam Adjusters And Lifters layzie12g C63 AMG (W204) 56 01-15-2016 02:23 PM
The Full Story On Adjusters & Cams layzie12g W211 AMG 7 11-19-2015 02:23 PM
Wheels Boutique - Mercedes G63 AMG x Brabus thewb G55 AMG (W463) 1 09-08-2015 10:14 PM
Wheels Boutique - Mercedes G63 AMG x Brabus thewb G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 0 09-08-2015 11:14 AM
License plate light broken stroba C-Class (W204) 1 09-02-2015 02:13 AM


Tags
08, 2008, breaks, c300, kit, mercedes, rebuild, replace, replacement, stem, stems, tire, tpms, valve, vave


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Copyright 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved.