C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by cxesar
My c300 has the same symptoms this morning and it thought it was a battery issue, so after changing the battery and getting the same result i know i'm in for the long hole. Just hearing all this outrageous quotes of 1100 to 19000 is making lose sleep. I have a key programmer guy coming tomorrow to see if maybe he can rig something so i can get rid of this damn car! Every day it goes i regret not having purchased the extended warranty till at least 100k miles. Oh well, i guess we pay for luxury and not for reliability bummer! Im assuming the only way an issue like this can escalate to the top is if someone dies because they couldn't turn on their car, like getting stranded in a snow storm with no heat. Shame on you MB...
Seems that mine cost around $750...so it isn't as bad as the one someone paid $1900...which was probably a rip off.

When I was at my dealer getting this worked on, they mentioned that other models have the same problem. You ask me...primed for a class action lawsuit. Since lawyers drive MBs, I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. Makes me wonder if MB does their work under some kind of extended coverage.

I'm not impressed with MB quality and won't be buying another one.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport
Originally Posted by silkynitro
Have you tried using your other key, mind did this about 5 months ago, I used my other key and have had no more problems since. I'm now back using the key that was giving me the trouble to see if it happens again, so far all ok.

You can rest assured if it happens again, I'll be back to MB for a fix, their sales pitch is Safety /luxury and reliability so they should stand by their product, if they do, I don't have a problem,, however, if they don't I'm like a savage dog.

I have no complaints with the local dealer and MB they have really looked after me so I'll be sticking with the benz.
I only have one key, im having some guy try to reprogram my key today...lets see how that goes.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:17 PM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by JimPap
Seems that mine cost around $750...so it isn't as bad as the one someone paid $1900...which was probably a rip off.

When I was at my dealer getting this worked on, they mentioned that other models have the same problem. You ask me...primed for a class action lawsuit. Since lawyers drive MBs, I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. Makes me wonder if MB does their work under some kind of extended coverage.

I'm not impressed with MB quality and won't be buying another one.
I live in Australia, and I was quoted $2,500.00 not fitted, so if it happens to cause any more problems I'll go back to the dealer for a free fix failing that, I'll take it further.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 PM

c300
I have a 2011 C300 WITH 30.000 MILES with the same problem.I told the service manager about the car not starting he told me to take the key out and put it back in so it can reset and then try it again. What bs!!! This is happening more often and it seemed the dealer doesn't want to do anything about it.what should I do next guys? any input ?

Last edited by joelrod; 09-29-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 PM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by joelrod
I have a 2011 C300 WITH 30.000 MILES with the same problem.I told the service manager about the car not starting he told me to take the key out and put it back in so it can reset and then try it again. What bs!!! This is happening more often and it seemed the dealer doesn't want to do anything about it.what should I do next guys? any input ?
Ring MB customer service.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 PM

c300
Ring MB customer service.

I did ring them up yesterday Thanks! After going back and forth with them> I told service rep at mb u.s.a what do you suggest?He told the me to call service manager service.I then called the service manager a explained that my friends on the forums told me it's the steering lock and ignition switch.The service manager at the dealer said on this model year 2011 it's not the steering lock. At this point there was a moment of silence and them I said ok. imfao so I said to myself you are aware of these cars having a problem! I told him I want to bring the car there and there would be no need to give me a rental because I now you will find the problem. I really don't care if i have to leave the car there for a week. I now for a fact it's going to happen to you! next day I received a call saying they have found the problem. A code came up and you where right it's the steering lock!!!! lol You can come get a rental car the part is ordered and won't be here for three days.
I hope this will help someone else thanks!!!

Last edited by joelrod; 09-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Unbelievable!

This blows my mind that a car company that has so many customers with the same problem can just charge them without taking any responsibility! I don't know about the rest of you but I am highly insulted by this. Mercedes advertises that they are a premium, reliable, performance car. How reliable is a car that won't start after 35,000 miles and for them to not to pay 100% of the bill when it's their problem to begin with is criminal. Mine was close to $2,000 outside of the warranty by 2 months! Mercedes! Wake up! Treat your customers like your company's welfare depends on it! It does! You need us more than we need you.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 PM

C220 CDI SLK 200
deleted

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:32 PM

C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by silkynitro
I live in Australia, and I was quoted $2,500.00 not fitted, so if it happens to cause any more problems I'll go back to the dealer for a free fix failing that, I'll take it further.
Mine went a last week. In the shop for 5 days. Cost me $1600 Aussie to replace. MB then detailed the car inside and out and gave me a $100 dollar fuel voucher. Could not get a loaner as they had none.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 PM

c300
bad taste in my mouth

Well they did repair the car for no charge. But only because I told them I will be bring in the car and leaving it there in till they find the problem. Sure enough they found the problem and told me to come get a loaner from hertz. A piece of **** at best. My wife pick up the car and they ware acting like they did us a favor. Now the a/c is works in and out. wtf !! Needless to say I will not be buying another Benz we are looking to trade in or sell before the warranty is up.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:09 AM

C220CDI 2009
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
Mine went a last week. In the shop for 5 days. Cost me $1600 Aussie to replace. MB then detailed the car inside and out and gave me a $100 dollar fuel voucher. Could not get a loaner as they had none.
They should have fixed it for free, I've had no more problems since I changed keys, I have switched back to the key I was having the problem with, as yet no problems, however, if I do, you can rest assure I'll be causing a few head aches if it's not fixed for free.

So far I've had no problems getting things fixed, local dealer & MB customer service have looked after me I have no complaints.

However I'm am starting to doubt the quality and the reliability, the wife wants to trade up to a Hyundai, we had one for a 11 years and never had the problems that we have had with this Merc.

I now have a windscreen washer pump leaking I'll be replacing myself later this week just waiting on another part.

Of all the cars I have owned not once have had to replace one of these pumps.

Local dealer quoted $147.00 for the pump not fitted I ended up getting a OEM one out of Melbourne for $44.70
Old 10-19-2014, 07:16 AM

2010Mercedes w204
Just an update!

My wife and I went out yesterday and ended up buying a BMW 335i! I just couldn't drive the c class one more mile knowing that Mercedes forced me to pay for their problem. I will never buy again or recommend a Mercedes to anyone. I'm still furious how they treated my problem. Once again---good luck to everyone!
Oh--by the way--safecar.gov has the solution.

Last edited by Bluehardtail; 10-19-2014 at 07:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Marcy Edwards (01-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:17 AM

c300
Unhappy update

[QUOTE=joelrod;6202530]Well they did repair the car for no charge. But only because I told them I will be bring in the car and leaving it there in till they find the problem. Sure enough they found the problem the every next day (right) mb told me to come get a loaner from hertz. A piece of **** at best. My wife pick up the car and they were acting as if they did us a favor. Now the a/c is works in and out. wtf !!looks like anther mb problem if the car get to hot inside the car when it off the a/c doesn't what to turn on. Needless to say I will not be buying another Benz we are looking to trade in or sell before the warranty is up.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 PM

2009 c300 sport
Paid $890 in south florida to get the problem fixed (steering lock and ignition.) The first quote was 1600 but i used my friends dealers account and knock down almost half. Im not gonna complain about the reliability because i knew what i was getting myself into when i got a luxury vehicle whitout the extended warranty. Oh well!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:21 AM

c300
[QUOTE=joelrod;6202777]
Well they did repair the car for no charge. But only because I told them I will be bring in the car and leaving it there in till they find the problem. Sure enough they found the problem the every next day (right) mb told me to come get a loaner from hertz. A piece of **** at best. My wife pick up the car and they were acting as if they did us a favor. Now the a/c is works in and out. wtf !!looks like anther mb problem. When the car get to hot inside the car sitting in the Florida sun. the a/c doesn't what to turn on. Needless to say I will not be buying another Benz we are looking to trade in or sell before the warranty is up.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:44 PM

2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by codeblue5007
I doubt it. More likely a premature failure as documented in other instances in this thread. How many miles on the car? You might have better luck complaining of the early failure to the dealer or MBUSA.
Code blue---he'll probably have better luck complaining to Honda! Lol!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

MB C350 sport
Originally Posted by Bosnia1992
Hello, I have a 2008 aswell I have extended warranty for two more years I was wondering if it was possible to get this replaced under warranty even if it hasnt become a problem yet?

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Would be rad to have it fixed before it breaks since we all know it will. Seems unlikely but if you have a technician you like it would be smart to try and see.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM

MB C350 sport
Just adding myself to the list. Maybe someone should start a change.org or some kind of list to get real numbers on.

I have 88k miles on my C350. I have never had an issue with the key not working. I drove the car and parked in the morning last week. Thirty minutes later neither the key, nor the backup would work at all. They could still lock and unlock and I could even use remote start to actually start up the car... but the key still needs to be recognized before you can move so no dice.

Dealer invoice says "Replace Electronic Steering Lock and advise". Price is $998 and does not include any other line items other than a free car wash.

I called another certified tech and he confirmed that "while he can replace this part and used to do so when he worked at the dealership" it's a theft related item and only the dealer can have, install, and program this part.

FYI, also check out this thread. Tons of other people with this issue: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...n-t-start.html

Last edited by DrYoloSwag; 11-04-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM

02 CLK 320 / 08 C350
This happened to me. Called Mercedes to get my car towed to Dealership. Person said he would send out a tech to make sure it's not the battery. I told him after reading the forum and doing extensive research, I am pretty confident it's not the battery. He said they would gladly tow the vehicle in, if it's not the battery.. The tech came out, checked out the battery, jump it and the car still would not start. The tech then wiggled the crap out of the steering wheel, as if he was breaking it. I mean he worked it hard, right left, right left then this loud release sound came, as if he had broken something. He was able to start the vehicle.. He said this is a known issue for this model. 2008 C350. He didn't dare to turn the ignition off again. He just said to take it to Dealer directly. Dealer confirmed after 1 day, that it was in fact the Steering wheel lock issue.. Cost about $1018.00.. Of course I called MBUSA directly and voiced my concern, they had someone call me and they said they had contacted the dealership directly and they will give me some type of a discount for the repair.. The dealership has not contacted me yet w/ the new price.. I will update when it's all done.. They also gave me a loaner while my car is being worked on.

Last edited by superfectabx; 12-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:14 PM

C220 CDI 2009
Originally Posted by superfectabx
This happened to me. Called Mercedes to get my car towed to Dealership. Person said he would send out a tech to make sure it's not the battery. I told him after reading the forum and doing extensive research, I am pretty confident it's not the battery. He said they would gladly tow the vehicle in, if it's not the battery.. The tech came out, checked out the battery, jump it and the car still would not start. The tech then wiggled the crap out of the steering wheel, as if he was breaking it. I mean he worked it hard, right left, right left then this loud release sound came, as if he had broken something. He was able to start the vehicle.. He said this is a known issue for this model. 2008 C350. He didn't dare to turn the ignition off again. He just said to take it to Dealer directly. Dealer confirmed after 1 day, that it was in fact the Steering wheel lock issue.. Cost about $1018.00.. Of course I called MBUSA directly and voiced my concern, they had someone call me and they said they had contacted the dealership directly and they will give me some type of a discount for the repair.. The dealership has not contacted me yet w/ the new price.. I will update when it's all done.. They also gave me a loaner while my car is being worked on.
A known issue and 6 years later there has been no recall or replacement made, for a luxury branded car that is farcical, if it were Ford - Chrysler - Kia - Hyundai etc you would understand, but MB
Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 PM

mercedes c300
Originally Posted by Genel
I called mbusa and expressed everything you said! They treated my case as a warranty and ended up costing me $350. My original quote from dealer was $1300! The squeaky wheel gets the oil, so please call mbusa. You will be given a case manager. Good luck!
Hello I was just wondering what exactly you told MBUSA? This happened to me the other day and they quoted me 1900$$$. Any help is much appreciated
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
[QUOTE=joelrod;6202777]
Well they did repair the car for no charge. But only because I told them I will be bring in the car and leaving it there in till they find the problem. Sure enough they found the problem the every next day (right) mb told me to come get a loaner from hertz. A piece of **** at best. My wife pick up the car and they were acting as if they did us a favor. Now the a/c is works in and out. wtf !!looks like anther mb problem if the car get to hot inside the car when it off the a/c doesn't what to turn on. Needless to say I will not be buying another Benz we are looking to trade in or sell before the warranty is up.
This issue is concerning to me as a new Benz owner and people mentioning that MB is forcing them to pay for their issue as well. Were these under warranty persons forced to pay?

I just purchased a CPO 2014 C300 and it is under warranty to 2021, but if I am forced to pay for this issue while under warranty I'll be very pissed.

Are you saying they forced you to pay for the repair while you were under warranty?!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:16 PM

mercedes c300
Originally Posted by superfectabx
Hello just wondering what the outcome was of your situation? How much did they discount?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:02 AM

E550
W212 as well

Just had this happen on my 2010 W212 E550. Pulled into the dealership to get it washed, they took it in back, and it broke on them when they pulled it up to the car wash. Quite possibly the most fortunate location possible for it to break.

The car is under CPO warranty right now, so they immediately took it in and I got a loaner.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM

C300
Another Wrinkle in This EIC/ESC Issue

Last week, I also had my 2009 C300 towed in after it died on me at night in a snowstorm. Not knowing what the problem was, I had it towed to my trusty mechanic who called me the next day to report that he was being denied the right to buy the parts (EIS or ESL) he needed under the MB Theft Relevant Parts Policy. So I had to have it towed to the dealer. Later on, we found out that the latest version (Jan 2015) version of this policy states that "Theft Relevant Parts may be ordered by the vehicle owner or his/her authorized representative..." The representative can be "an Independent workshop acting on behalf of their customer." All you have to do is provide certain information about the vehicle without the need to do any further registration with Mercedes. Mercedes refused to permit my independent workshop to purchase these parts and do the repair. Note that MB wound up charging me $1100 to replace the Ignition Switch Motor. Well the story doesn't stop here. Three days later, I again had to have the car towed from my work's underground garage (low clearance garages are an issue for most motor clubs). Dropped the car off at MB again at 10:00PM and was told the next day that now another seperate matter; the Steering Column would need to be replaced and that would cost $1300. But as a concession, since I just had service, they would "only charge for the part- $500" and not labor. Needless to say, I am going to package all these receipts up, along with the MBUSA Theft Relevant Part Policy that wasn't followed and write a very strong letter to MB. This is my second MB - I thought I would give them another try - and the first one - 190E- was a piece of garbage too. My sixteen year old Acura TL while not an exciting car is still working and has 245K miles and is the car my husband uses to rescue me when the MB fails.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!