C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-29-2015, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Engine vibration when stopping to a halt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic
Ok i think I found a logical explanation. It sounds like play/slop in the CV joint which allows the differential to turn back and forth creating the vibe/chatter.

Makes sense I guess. The bad news. Axles for this car are around $1000 each side and I have no idea how to determine which Axle has the shot CV.

This car is going, but I don't like selling cars with problems so I'd like to fix it before I sell it.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 PM

c240
I have the same issue on my w203. I heard it could mean you need a transmission flush. or a vacuum hose is broken.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC
I'm also having the same issues, small vibrations when stopping, and my steering wheel shakes when stopping. Any ideas ?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Similar problem here - when the car is stopped at a red light with foot on the brake, you can feel slight vibration through the brake pedal and the steering wheel. It was not there when we bought it at 23K miles. Right now the car has 45k miles. I'll have to mention it to the service dept before the extended warranty runs out.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:18 PM

'08 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jgcalderonperez
I'm also having the same issues, small vibrations when stopping, and my steering wheel shakes when stopping. Any ideas ?
Any ideas? It's already been posted. Slop in the Axle CV.

Everyone with the problem is an ealy 4Matic. I think it's safe to say it's a legitimate problem.

EDIT: My appologizes. The solution wasn't posted in this thread. In another thread one of the gents with the issue finally got a competant dealer. THe problem was one of his front axles. There is play in the CV joint which causes the axle to bounce around slightly at idle creating the vibration. AWD cars seem to be notorious for Idle vibrations if anything is off with their axles. Look at the Subaru Forester guys for instance.

Last edited by AuZZZie; 07-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM

79 300SEL
I have this same issue and taking to the dealer this week. 09 C230 4matic with 42K kilometers.
I know it's not brake, brake boost related etc, since when stopped with foot on the brake deep heavy vibration starts, then even when off the brake rolling forward without any throttle/load on the drive system it still does it, until finally add some throttle and it's gone and i'm on my way.
its enough vibration that my wife notices it and says, how come my chevy doesnt do that? lol (8 year old aveo she is speaking of).
Old 04-24-2013, 03:52 PM

2009 W204 Sport 4M
I had the same problem recently but also had a squeak on cold starts I got my pulley tensior serptine belt and idle roller replaced under warranty and this problem went away with that
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM

2008 C350
I only notice it when the car warms up and is above 80deg its very little but when I drive with a little speed and yelling at grandmas to move out the way , then come to a stop at a light the vibration increases the longer I sitting at the light.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 PM

'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by Pete7874
Similar problem here - when the car is stopped at a red light with foot on the brake, you can feel slight vibration through the brake pedal and the steering wheel. It was not there when we bought it at 23K miles. Right now the car has 45k miles. I'll have to mention it to the service dept before the extended warranty runs out.
UPDATE here: dealer said the vibration was caused by shot motor mounts. They replaced the motor mounts. The vibration has slightly subsided, but I feel like it's still there.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
when the car is stopped at a red light with foot on the brake, you can feel slight vibration through the brake pedal.
Ditto but my car only has about 19k miles on it. Then again......I do drive it like it's stolen more often then I should so I guess it's possible this is the issue.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM

C300 AMG SPORT
I'm having this issue only during hard turns.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM

79 300SEL
UPDATE here: dealer said the vibration was caused by shot motor mounts. They replaced the motor mounts. The vibration has slightly subsided, but I feel like it's still there.
Hey same here with mine.
Dealer said vibration is from motor mounts an replaced 2 bushings.
The service adviser she was pretty cool about it and said they might not have solved the problem so just keep an eye on it and let them know if presists. I will be doing just that. If does it again then I'll book another service appointment and have them address the CV-Axle shaft specifically this time. Will keep you posted on the progress. Looks like will be buying the extended warranty since my current one expires in a few weeks and might not resolve this by then (warranty costs $2000 for 2 years 60,000km and just the axle shaft alone costs over $1000 in parts/labour so might as well get the warranty at this point).
Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM

2009 C230 4MATIC Sports Package
Pulley Replacements Helped Vibration Quite a Bit...

Hi Everyone:

I have posted on here numerous times with the same Vibration 'at idle' issue on my 2009 C230 4 MATIC. Problem was evident from purchase of vehicle new, now with 52,000kms. I have had it into the dealer numerous times, and they even had the car for a whole week. Had the following done:

New Motor Mounts - Did not resolve issue
New Ignition Coil (One mildly faulty) - Seemed to help a bit
New Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley - This cut the problem down significantly. I had the pulleys replaced due to a squeak, and the result is that the vibration has dropped quite noticeably. It's still there but not as aggressive as before. I also noticed that sometimes I get this out of the blue 'pulse' of a vibration running through the cabin/seat over and above the exisitng ' always there' vibration. If it happens in your car, you'd know what I mean.

Odd thing is, there are times when I am idling at a light with my foot on the brake and the wheels feels absolutely still (without vibration). This does not happen for long or that often, but it does happen. So this is clearly an intermittent problem.....99% of the time...!

So that's where I'm at with my car. Let me know if you guys have had any other types of pulleys replaced, because there are a lot of pulleys under the hood, and that is where I am leaning based on the improvements that I had with the other 2 pulleys. Has anyone had any other types of pulleys replaced other than tensioner and idler pulleys?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
belts ? motor mounts..
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
also, sounds stupid maybe my car acts up or its because of the pulleys/belts my car would shake when i would turn my A/c on....
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 AM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by 09C2304MATIC
Hi Everyone:

I have posted on here numerous times with the same Vibration 'at idle' issue on my 2009 C230 4 MATIC. Problem was evident from purchase of vehicle new, now with 52,000kms. I have had it into the dealer numerous times, and they even had the car for a whole week. Had the following done:

New Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley - This cut the problem down significantly. I had the pulleys replaced due to a squeak, and the result is that the vibration has dropped quite noticeably. It's still there but not as aggressive as before. I also noticed that sometimes I get this out of the blue 'pulse' of a vibration running through the cabin/seat over and above the exisitng ' always there' vibration. If it happens in your car, you'd know what I mean.

Odd thing is, there are times when I am idling at a light with my foot on the brake and the wheels feels absolutely still (without vibration). This does not happen for long or that often, but it does happen. So this is clearly an intermittent problem.....99% of the time...!

So that's where I'm at with my car. Let me know if you guys have had any other types of pulleys replaced, because there are a lot of pulleys under the hood, and that is where I am leaning based on the improvements that I had with the other 2 pulleys. Has anyone had any other types of pulleys replaced other than tensioner and idler pulleys?
So what was the cost for all the changes you made if I may ask?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:13 PM

79 300SEL
Originally Posted by 09C2304MATIC
Hi Everyone:

Have you had them look at and address the all wheel drive system?
From what I've read the only sure solution so far has been to replace the front axle shafts and then the vibration is gone once back within spec.

Just an UPDATE on my visit to the dealer this week.
They said they could not simulate the vibration, even when hot, I'm not convinced of this. But what they did to try and remedy the vibration is change one motor mount bushing and 4 screws. They also did the cam-soleniod harnass recall.
SURE ENOUGH, on the drive home from the dealer vibration is back. Not as strong as before, so far but i havent even driven 100km's yet and can feel the same vibration. So I'm going to give it a few more days and book with the dealer again. Hope this time they take a look at the all-wheel-drive system, the CV Axle shafts specifically and correct this permanently.

Question, anyone else in Toronto Canada and can recommend a good Mercerdes Service shop? Or can recommend how to have the dealer look at the CV Axle shaft specifically ?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been experiencing the same issue lately. Dealer is going to swap the tranny mount. If that doesn't work he's going to replace the engine mounts. I'm scheduled to bring her in this tues. and will report back.

Strange thing I've noticed is that when the car comes off of a lift, like after a tire rotation, the car is perfect again for a few trips but then slowly creeps back.

2010 e550 4matic
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 AM

2017 W213
Hmm... I do not know if this is co-related by any means, but I seemed to have the same trembe issue recently... I have a 2008 W204 180 with M271K engine.

It seems that the pre-conditions are:
* Slowing down to 1st 2nd gear levels
* Car lowering the gear
* Breaking while gear change

Recent Changes:
* Breaks changed (though a while now)
* TCU Software Upgrade (managed to break the settings and required re-training of gear changes). Not sure to what extent this has been done.

I will get it look into and report back my findings...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaine
I've been experiencing the same issue lately. Dealer is going to swap the tranny mount. If that doesn't work he's going to replace the engine mounts. I'm scheduled to bring her in this tues. and will report back.

Strange thing I've noticed is that when the car comes off of a lift, like after a tire rotation, the car is perfect again for a few trips but then slowly creeps back.

2010 e550 4matic
So got the car back and everything is nice and smooth again. They changed transmission mount (didn't work) then both motor mounts, that did the trick.

Talking to the service guy who I test drive with, he said its an issue with the torque converter and the motor mounts just do a really good job of masking the vibration. He says its really a behavior in all modern MBs just that the motor mounts on the E500 and E550s aren't as fail proof as they should be. In rare instances where the motor mounts do not acceptably mask the issue, they would contact mbusa for clearance on addressing the torque converter.

Hope this helps you guys out. I still feel the vibration ever so slightly but it's probably only because I've made myself aware of it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM

2009 C230 4MATIC Sports Package
Cost of Chnages

Originally Posted by livestrong191
So what was the cost for all the changes you made if I may ask?

I actually purchased the extended warranty (for the 3 years = $3k). So the pulleys were all replaced under warranty. Not sure of the exact cost, but have used the extended warranty already to replace a defective front strut (both were replaced). The warranty has already almost paid for itself less than one year in.... in my case was a good investment, as I have had a lot of issues with the car.....!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM

79 300SEL
I'm still experiencing the engine vibration.
Will be booking another warranty check as I have been monitoring for the last 5-6 months and it's getting slightly worse.

My facts so far that I've considered:

- fuel, fuel inhectors related -
not the issue for me, I'm only on a steady shell v-power diet and nothing else. also injectors cleaned on my last B service

- motor mounts -
I had them replaced under warranty and did not fix the vibration problem

- engine idle -
my engine idle has consistently been within spec at all times and i can't attribute that to the vibration problem. especiall when considering I don't get the vibration on any cold starts, it's after dirving and come to a stop, while sitting with brake on, or brake released but no driving yet it vibrates deeply.

So I'm had the vibrations since the low 30,000 kilometer range, and continues now and I'm over 40,000 now. I will be going to dealer again since I still have the extended full warranty, but they said if they can't replicate the problem they will change diagnosis fee outside of warranty (anywhere from $100-$200). I don't want to get stuck paying that so hoping that maybe other owners out there might have experiencied this but had success in resolving with the dealer and can give some advice. I paid an additional $3000 for extended warranty and don't want to pay $200 for them to look at this issue and not fix it again.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
hey guys, I have a similar issue on my s500 4matic. Wondering if anyone else has had this axle situation?

My vibration seems to have started after a shop replaced my front passenger inner CV boot.

doesn't make an ounce of logical sense, but I've tried everything.
The following users liked this post:
MauritoFR (09-17-2020)
Old 04-04-2014, 12:02 PM

79 300SEL
Just an update on my experience with this vibration issue.
I also posted this follow-up on other MB Forums.

So I took my 09 C230 4Matic to the dealer yesterday to have bad battery replaced. Car has 50,000km's.

I also asked (again for the 2nd time) for them to address the phantom vibration issue and wanted to give eveyone here an update.

I have not picked up the car yet, will pickup tonight and fingers crossed.
Mercedes service said they resolved the vibration issue and this was covered under warranty. They described the issue as being the “Torque converter lockup clutch” that needed to be reset. They said it was slightly out of spec.

So after replacing the motor mounts on my previous service, and now fixing the torque converter lockup clutch setting I hope this finally resolves it.

Will check tonight on the drive home if the vibration is gone.
I'm posting this on a few thread on the forum I've seen for same/similar phantom vibration issue becuase if this is a real fix then other's can approach thier dealers and ask for the same fix.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
any updates on this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Engine vibration when stopping to a halt