C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

how's your leather seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E-350 Sport
Vinyl Seats

Hello everyone, MB brand is in my family for three generations and I'm continuing this tradition with some mixed feelings. Since 1997 my wife and I are driving E-Klasse and M-Klasse. We owned a total of eight MB's. All vehicles were with leather seats accept the last two. My 2012 E-350 Sport driver seat vinyl started cracking at the seam on bottom cushion, inner and outer bolster. My wife's 2014 M-350 started doing the same, also on driver's lower cushion. We are both in normal range of weight; 175 lb for me and 145 lb for my wife. We get in and out of vehicles twice a day. When we were purchasing each car there was not a single E or M on dealer's lot equipped with leather. I love leather for the feel and durability. I do not care what everyone says but the leather is superior if maintained (cleaned and oiled) every six months. I should never listen to the sale associate telling about vinyl's advantages over the leather because there is none. Vinyl is economical or cheap and that is the only advantage. I'm greatly disappointed with MB using vinyl in their $60k plus vehicles. I have made a huge mistake by not waiting and ordering both vehicles with the leather. I should be a little more careful next time and not to listen to salesman. The worst part of my story is that MB is not supporting their product and not covering seats under manufacturing four years warranty. Also, I'm tying to contact MB Rep almost on daily basis for the past three weeks and appears that they are ignoring me or hoping I'll go away. The MB Regional Rep is not returning my calls. Also, my last post with pictures was removed from this forum most likely by MB Forum moderator. I guess MB is afraid that their customers are communicating about quality issues or reporting porting problems. Hopefully this time they will let everyone to read about my experience with the MB Tex seats.

Last edited by wilanow56; 04-13-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: need to attach pictures
Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 AM

Mercedes Benz C300
Angry Fake Leather

I've owned 3 Benzs since 2010.I am disappointed and feel Mercedes Benz, a company I've trusted, has lied to me.I purchased a 2012 C300 back in 2011 with a full leather package (Cappuccino).
One of my seats has cracked and a small circle has begun to peel away.The damage is exposing a thin, brown plastic layer covering a white material.Material covering a fabric base with plastic is called pleather, fake leather or vinyl by any other name.
Since my purchase, I've only used (expensive) MB leather care products, yet its stiffness has not lessened in three years.Now I know why.It’s not leather.
Why was I sold "supple, richly grained leather" and paid $1,750 for the upgrade?The evidence says differently. I've lodged a complaint with MBUSA and with my local dealer for answers. I would have never known this, had it not been for the peeling.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:46 AM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
I came across this cracking issue four or five times while working at Benz. Given our volume of work, I would say it is reasonably uncommon. Definitely not unheard of though
Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM

'09 C350
sorry to hear man.. it really is some cheap fake leather ... bring it to the dealership, they will replace it for you before your warranty runs out. I did get mine replaced... but guess what?... the replacement start having a small crack.. now i am at 85k 2009, so it blows hahah

Originally Posted by HowellJas
I've owned 3 Benzs since 2010.I am disappointed and feel Mercedes Benz, a company I've trusted, has lied to me.I purchased a 2012 C300 back in 2011 with a full leather package (Cappuccino).
One of my seats has cracked and a small circle has begun to peel away.The damage is exposing a thin, brown plastic layer covering a white material.Material covering a fabric base with plastic is called pleather, fake leather or vinyl by any other name.
Since my purchase, I've only used (expensive) MB leather care products, yet its stiffness has not lessened in three years.Now I know why.It’s not leather.
Why was I sold "supple, richly grained leather" and paid $1,750 for the upgrade?The evidence says differently. I've lodged a complaint with MBUSA and with my local dealer for answers. I would have never known this, had it not been for the peeling.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Does MB cover this under MB extended warranty?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:51 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Originally Posted by JPc300
Does MB cover this under MB extended warranty?
Not in Australia....
Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Mercedes Benz C300
Thanks guys. My new car warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. I'm currently at 3/45K. Yes, I took it by my local MB dealer and was told its not covered because I only had a 1 year warranty. I was shocked and corrected the technician but that's all he had to offer. I contacted MBUSA and they confirmed, yes 4/50K and it should be covered. They contacted the local dealer. The same technician asked if I could come back so he could take pictures and they could get the part number. He blamed the confusion on the parts supervisor and is supposed to contact me next week to arrange a drop off date and loaner. Meanwhile, I want to know why the hell I have fake leather/vinyl instead of the supple leather I paid for and ordered. Letters went out today to both MBUSA and the Gen Mgr at my local dealership. I really feel duped. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Thanks guys. My new car warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. I'm currently at 3/45K. Yes, I took it by my local MB dealer and was told its not covered because I only had a 1 year warranty. I was shocked and corrected the technician but that's all he had to offer. I contacted MBUSA and they confirmed, yes 4/50K and it should be covered. They contacted the local dealer. The same technician asked if I could come back so he could take pictures and they could get the part number. He blamed the confusion on the parts supervisor and is supposed to contact me next week to arrange a drop off date and loaner. Meanwhile, I want to know why the hell I have fake leather/vinyl instead of the supple leather I paid for and ordered. Letters went out today to both MBUSA and the Gen Mgr at my local dealership. I really feel duped. I'm sure I'm not alone.

That sort of underhanded dodginess (taking payment for options and fitting something else) has happened before. I know of at least one ex-dealership that lost the franchise over a similar issue
Old 09-09-2014, 07:13 AM

2012 c250
Do they replace the entire seat or just the section on the seat that is tearing?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by solo1420
Do they replace the entire seat or just the section on the seat that is tearing?
Just the section that is tearing. I have a new seat bottom on order.

I noticed about an inch long crack on the outer bolster of my seat bottom a month ago. 2.5 years old and 29K miles, garaged at home and work, cleaned bi-weekly with Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner.

I gotta say I am disappointed. I went with MB-Tex for its legendary durability (and perforations), and it has not lived up to my expectations. I will be ordering leather on the ML when I order it.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:30 PM

'09 C350
if it's under warranty, they should replace it for you. Of course the tearing is not due to any kind of cuts. Where are you located?? here in Maryland, we deal with service mangers not technicians. Once you send a letter to the GM or give them a bad rating they will talk to you for sure..
Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Which dealer in MD are you working with?

I found out yesterday that my seatcover is on backorder. I guess since Ash isn't that common, getting one takes longer.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM

'09 C350
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Which dealer in MD are you working with?

I found out yesterday that my seatcover is on backorder. I guess since Ash isn't that common, getting one takes longer.
Euromotors in Germantown. Real cool service manager Charles
Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM

2008 C300 Sport 6M
Mine has cracked in the same spot as many, the lateral bolster. While disappointed, time always seems to take its toll on faux seats. On the upside, I was able to perform a decent repair with just a standard vinyl repair kit for the local auto parts store.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:30 PM

2008 C300 Luxury
My 2008 has 90K miles. Its beige MB-Tex looks like the day we brought it home. Its had little care except to clean it with mild soap and water from time to time. Its seen many many days over 90 degrees in Florida and Colorado, and way too many days at -33 degrees F in Lake Placid, NY. Its comfortable and clean.

Our 240 looked much like Glynn's at nearly 200K and 10 years. We've had MBs in the family for years. I have never seen the seat materials fail whether they were MB-Tex or natural leather.

But all of ours have been light colors. I wonder if there is something different about black material that may allow it to absorb or hold more heat?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Not so sure about that. Mine's Ash, which is as light as you can get. It's also always garaged.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
Mine has fake leather seats... Any suggestions now to maintain those?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM

C220
My c-class has black MB-tex seats which at first disappointed me a little but with two kids (4 and 8) they are a blessing.

Also for those of you who have torn seats, watch out for the rivets in the back pockets of your jeans. Some can scratch the seats. I have a pair of jeans that I don't wear as much because the last time I wore therm I felt it scratch the seat when getting in and out of the car.

Last edited by hdsalinas; 09-16-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 PM

2009 Manual C300 Sport
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Photos -- because I know you are all curious.

- Eric
I bought mine used. 2009 C300. said it had leather seats. They aren't
The picture above represents exactly what is happening to my driver's seat.
Why is everyone having the same damage to the driver seat?

Do you guys know of a cover that looks nice and supports all the airbags on the seat? And since this stuff is vinyl, I guess I will just use vinyl conditioner to try to moisturize the crackling vinyl?

I want to prevent it from getting worse.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM

'08 W204 C300 4Matic Sport
W204 C300 Driver's Seat for Sale

Hey guys if anyone is having el. or any other issues and you're looking for a replacement seat ,message me at: mpganchev@gmail.com

My driver's seat seam busted on the bottom, I got a whole new seat and Im looking to sell this one. All el. parts are fully functional:
-Black Leather
-El.
-Heat
-SRS
-No memory

Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 PM

SLK350 AMG Roadster (2013)
SLK350 Peeling Seats

My SLK 350 is only two years old, 23,000 miles on it and has heavily tinted windows, so I don’t think it is the sun rays that are making the seats peel. The car is garaged during the day while at work.

I am the second owner and purchased the car about three weeks ago from a dealership in Maryland. The first owner of the car was in Encino, California. I’ve never witnessed leather seats peel like this. An expensive car with cheap leather seats. Is it even leather? I was under the impression that it was real supple leather when I purchased the car. The car is loaded with extras (which cost $$$$) and supposedly has Designo designer leather seats. I just don’t think it’s leather, though. More like pleather! I plan on visiting a local Mercedes dealership to complain about the defective leather. This is embarrassing for a luxury car.

My warranty expires at the end of 2016. Will the manufacturer replace the seats or am I SOL? I feel duped too, and disappointed with MB quality! Someone pulled the “pleather” over my eyes. Yes, the General Manager will be hearing about this! What’s his/her name in Maryland? Oh, I read in one post that Charles at Euromotors in Germantown is a good POC.

Here's a picture of the peeling seat. The passenger seats looks suspcious too.

Thank you!

Last edited by HollyHill; 05-03-2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: picture quality
Old 05-05-2015, 01:45 AM

2010 C300 4Matic Sport
I have black MBtex in my 2010 w/ 66k miles and they're still in great condition. Not sure what the previous owner did for the first 50k but I use some Maguiar's leather cleaner (smells good and makes the seats shine nicely, it's meant for black leather specifically). Not sure if it's actually helping my seats or not but doesn't seem like it's harming them
Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 2008 C350
My driver's seat also is ripped ar the seams and cracked all over the bottom. I'm just going to reupholster it myself
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
17' C43 Sedan
Zaino Leather in a bottle or Griots leather care are my go to

I prefer zaino.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by HollyHill
My SLK 350 is only two years old, 23,000 miles on it and has heavily tinted windows, so I don’t think it is the sun rays that are making the seats peel. The car is garaged during the day while at work.

I am the second owner and purchased the car about three weeks ago from a dealership in Maryland. The first owner of the car was in Encino, California. I’ve never witnessed leather seats peel like this. An expensive car with cheap leather seats. Is it even leather? I was under the impression that it was real supple leather when I purchased the car. The car is loaded with extras (which cost $$$$) and supposedly has Designo designer leather seats. I just don’t think it’s leather, though. More like pleather! I plan on visiting a local Mercedes dealership to complain about the defective leather. This is embarrassing for a luxury car.

My warranty expires at the end of 2016. Will the manufacturer replace the seats or am I SOL? I feel duped too, and disappointed with MB quality! Someone pulled the “pleather” over my eyes. Yes, the General Manager will be hearing about this! What’s his/her name in Maryland? Oh, I read in one post that Charles at Euromotors in Germantown is a good POC.

Here's a picture of the peeling seat. The passenger seats looks suspcious too.

Thank you!
Yelling at the dealer isn't going to help anything - they are not the ones that manufactured the car. I would think it would be covered under warranty - this is the first time I have seen leather peel like this.

Charles is your man to go to in service - a nice guy, a true car guy, and very respectful of your time and your vehicle. I see him all too much with my problem child that lives in the garage. Don't beat him up though... he's not the one that made the leather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how's your leather seats?