C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Transmission service done, but ........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
That link goes to the VIN decoder. We are having link & pic problems on the forum. Bell housings change with engine application. Access is the same in all bell housings. Rubber plug.....
So this member probably did not see the plug for his TC as it went by .... gutsy move by the Service Supervisor.

AkaSigFreak looked for plug at MB shop

I've seen a WIS for the trans service, with drain the TC as step 6. I guess there is no similar WIS for the W204 with no reference to draining the TC ?? The SA was trying to imply that the note in the box to the right of the draining instructions was a conditional note, saying there were some cases for the WIS where no drain plug existed: "Vehicles with drain screw on torque converter, except on trans'n 722.93"

And finally, how do they refill the TC ??

Thanks Glyn

Last edited by kevink2; 07-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
All I can say is that All 204's are supposed to have a drain plug. Only early versions of 722.9 did not & they were never fitted to 204 ~ they were pre late 203 models like Johns.

To fill the TC they start the car per WIS instruction & the transmission pump immediately fills the coverter requiring further top up of fluid.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Final notes at our Delaware dealer on 5 quart "standard" trans drain:

> The SA told each of us separatly (after work was done) that the TC may or may not have a drain plug. But in this case, no drain plug. But he, being an ex-tech, told me he would not be surprised if a tech never checked for a TC drain plug.

> Long time parts guy, who supplies the tech's with parts, checked TC's for the W204 and ALL had drain plugs with separate # for the plug. His experience was that that shop NEVER changed the TC oil. He also noted that no tech ever asked him for a new TC drain plug, or sealing washer.

My conclusion is that this dealer's service dept, has decided long ago not to drain the TC, which about equals the trans in oil capacity. From other posts, sounds like other dealers have the same, poor practice.

My suggestion would be to check the 2 WIS proceedures with illustrations, trans drain and TC drain, and then witness the search for the drain plug, per step 6, at the MB shop.

Links from Glyn:

W204-722.9-automatic_transmission_-_oil_and_filter_change.pdf

W204-drain-transmission's-torque-converter

Last edited by kevink2; 07-28-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

I have just received my first PM from an owner of a 2012 where the dealer did a half change & not the TC AND USED THE OLD 236.14 FLUID instead of the new blue 236.15 fluid for the 722.9 Plus transmission.

Please watch what your dealers are doing or it could cost you.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-imminent.html
Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Has anyone in the US contacted MB about the specified service in the WIS's that detail changing the TC oil, and dealers ignoring it?

www.mbusa.com contact_us overview

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230; 2012 R350
FWIW, I contacted several dealers in MI (metro Detroit area) recently to inquire about transmission service on my 2006 C230 and was given a wide range of prices from the mid $300's to the mid $500's. All said the job would be done in just a few hours/same day.

I also called the parts departments at each dealership to inquire about ordering the necessary parts to do the service myself and all stocked the filter and gasket, but not all stocked the pan bolts or the guide tube, and not a single one stocked the TC bolt (all said it would be 1-2 days to get this part in).

I can only imagine what actual service these dealers are doing, but it doesn't sound promising that it is the correct service according the WIS.

I have decided to go the DIY route myself...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:14 PM

'09 C350
Originally Posted by kevins_garage
FWIW, I contacted several dealers in MI (metro Detroit area) recently to inquire about transmission service on my 2006 C230 and was given a wide range of prices from the mid $300's to the mid $500's. All said the job would be done in just a few hours/same day.

I also called the parts departments at each dealership to inquire about ordering the necessary parts to do the service myself and all stocked the filter and gasket, but not all stocked the pan bolts or the guide tube, and not a single one stocked the TC bolt (all said it would be 1-2 days to get this part in).

I can only imagine what actual service these dealers are doing, but it doesn't sound promising that it is the correct service according the WIS.

hey kevin, how easy was the DIY? when i look at the DIY on the forum, it looks really complicated... I really want to do it myself also but afraid i don't have the tools for it, thus i have to resort to the dealership... any help or advice be great

thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by kevins_garage

You should definitely contact Motorwerks in Commerce Township for another quote. This is an outstanding indy shop catering to MB, BMW, and other high end imports. Satish owns it and Bill is the manager...both great guys and their team has done superb work for us. This is a place worth knowing.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 AM

c230k'05-e300'10(Sold)
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Even though I have a manual trans, it is great to see so much good info to help protect forum members from shoddy, lazy service centers!

All hail Glyn! unless of course you want to use Amsoil....
1+
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

c350 (soon)
I have a question regarding this. I have yet to call my dealership as i want to get as much possible out of this thread so i know what i'm talking about when i approach them, seeing they only put 5 quarts in mine.

If i bring it back, how do i even know they resolved the issue of draining the TC and what not? They can easily print up an invoice showing the added 4 quarts and call it a day no?

Also, do i tell them to completely flush it out now that the new 5 quarts they put in is contaminated?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Magic9669
I have a question regarding this. I have yet to call my dealership as i want to get as much possible out of this thread so i know what i'm talking about when i approach them, seeing they only put 5 quarts in mine.

If i bring it back, how do i even know they resolved the issue of draining the TC and what not? They can easily print up an invoice showing the added 4 quarts and call it a day no?

Also, do i tell them to completely flush it out now that the new 5 quarts they put in is contaminated?

Thanks.
I see 2 good options:

1) bring your car to a reputable car sevice shop. Supply them with copies of the two WIS documents (mechanic instructions) that I posted links to in a prior post.

Then have them drive it onto a lift, and with trans in neutral and ign off (wheels blocked), pull off the bottom plastic cover pieces, and remove the plastic/rubber cover from the lower bell housing (WIS Pic). Then use a socket wrench to turn the engine over slowly, while you are looking with a mechanic for the drain plug on the TC as it rotates around (2nd WIS pic). When you find it, have mech circle it with typical big yellow shop crayon. Get mech to state plug is there on invoice.

--------------------------------------

This method will cost some more money, but is the less stressfull way of doing it. So you verfy it exists, then with this knowledge, and the MB WIS instructions (item #6), you go back to MB SA and say they must have misread the instructions as this car has a TC drain plug and it should have been drained the 1st time with about 9 Qts total to refill the trans.

2) same as 1) but let MB do the initial work. Either way, YOU need to witness the search for the plug.

Last edited by kevink2; 08-07-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

And yes the initial 5 quarts is contaminated. Remember that the fluid in the TC is not static. The transmission fluid is constantly circulated at varying speed through the TC to keep it cool.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM

2006 C230; 2012 R350
Originally Posted by dadangman
hey kevin, how easy was the DIY? when i look at the DIY on the forum, it looks really complicated... I really want to do it myself also but afraid i don't have the tools for it, thus i have to resort to the dealership... any help or advice be great

thanks!
I'll have to let you know after this weekend. I got some of the parts in last week and the rest should arrive tomorrow. I plan to get started on it bright and early this Saturday.

I'm a pretty avid DIY'er with a decent set of tools, so it doesn't look like a terribly difficult or complicated job to me, but, as with life, anything can happen...

Originally Posted by Sportstick
You should definitely contact Motorwerks in Commerce Township for another quote. This is an outstanding indy shop catering to MB, BMW, and other high end imports. Satish owns it and Bill is the manager...both great guys and their team has done superb work for us. This is a place worth knowing.
Noted - I'll keep them in mind for non-warranty work that I can't tackle myself. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM

c350 (soon)
Just got off the phone with my dealership. I told him about the WIS and stated how they only put 5 quarts in my car. He stated that my car does not have the TC plug. I pointed him to step 6 on the WIS. He read it, and then stated again my car does not have it. I am bringing it in and he is going to put it on a lift and we are going to take a look for it.

Seemed like a nice guy so we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
.... I am bringing it in and he is going to put it on a lift and we are going to take a look for it.
Excellent ! I'd also bring in the 2nd WIS about the TC drain plug ... good photo based images. Also, on other cars I've found it best to use a socket on the main pulley bolt, to slowly turn the engine over in neutral. And one last suggestion (I promise) : You will be in a negative environment for your cause, so don't be intimidated. Don't let them just use the key to crank the engine.

Good Luck !

Last edited by kevink2; 08-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

+1^ - It will be there!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Just got off the phone with my dealership. I told him about the WIS and stated how they only put 5 quarts in my car. He stated that my car does not have the TC plug. I pointed him to step 6 on the WIS. He read it, and then stated again my car does not have it. I am bringing it in and he is going to put it on a lift and we are going to take a look for it.

Seemed like a nice guy so we'll see how it goes.
Take a camera and take some pictures for us.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

+1^
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by kevink2
Has anyone in the US contacted MB about the specified service in the WIS's that detail changing the TC oil, and dealers ignoring it?

www.mbusa.com contact_us overview

Great question. My ex just called MB-USA, and here is part of the response:

"... I had contacted their corporate site in U.S. and they finally got back to me today. Their technical guy did confirm I had a drain plug and they should have drained the T.C. "

So feel confident in demanding (and witnessing) a proper transmission + TC drain. This has been a huge, ~destructive deception pulled off by most of the US dealers. If they refuse to accommodate you, I think it's an easy small claims court win.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! Good to see that at least MBUSA have been honest in this case. Good stuff Kevin.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 AM

c350 (soon)
Excellent ! I'd also bring in the 2nd WIS about the TC drain plug ... good photo based images. Also, on other cars I've found it best to use a socket on the main pulley bolt, to slowly turn the engine over in neutral. And one last suggestion (I promise) : You will be in a negative environment for your cause, so don't be intimidated. Don't let them just use the key to crank the engine.

Good Luck !
Already on top of printing out that second WIS to show the pics and to see what i'm looking for exactly. Thanks for the heads up regarding the environment. I figured as such which is sad. Good thing for me is I dont get intimidated easily and i'll just demand stuff left and right till it gets done. I dont understand what you mean by your last statement though. What do you mean by 'dont let them just use the key to crank the engine'?

Thanks for the help gents. I will take pics with my phone to post on here as well.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
'dont let them just use the key to crank the engine'

If they did that, you jerk the position of the TC a bit wildly.

In neutral (wheels chocked) you get small increments of rotation if you fit a proper 1/2" drive socket with the related rachet type 1/2" drive wrench.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
'dont let them just use the key to crank the engine'

If they did that, you jerk the position of the TC a bit wildly.

In neutral (wheels chocked) you get small increments of rotation if you fit a proper 1/2" drive socket with the related rachet type 1/2" drive wrench.

That is exactly how it was done. He marked the starting point with a marker and rotated 360 degrees. I have sent a inquiry to MBUSA and I am awaiting the response.
BTW- I am not intimidated easily either. I'm 6'2, 275 lbs and work in Law Enforcement. Most are not stupid enough to try to intimidate me.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
All I can say is that All 204's are supposed to have a drain plug. Only early versions of 722.9 did not & they were never fitted to 204 ~ they were pre late 203 models like Johns.
Originally Posted by KevinK2
... My ex just called MB-USA, and here is part of the response:

"... I had contacted their corporate site in U.S. and they finally got back to me today. Their technical guy did confirm I had a drain plug and they should have drained the T.C. "

So feel confident in demanding (and witnessing) a proper transmission + TC drain. This has been a huge, ~destructive deception pulled off by most of the US dealers ....
All this said, there is still the matter of two people that did NOT have TC drain plugs:

AkaSigFreak 2008-C300 ... watched a slow roll and saw no plug. See 3 posts above.

Ben'sBenz 2009-C300 ... another witness Ben'sBenz Post

Given the relatively small number of people that confirmed they had a TC drain plug, vs the two that saw none, I conclude that some W204's came into the US with no TC drain plug. I tend to believe 1st hand observations by those very interested in the results, vs Mercedes theoretical rules.

So I can't really say walk in the shop, and with 100% confidence expect a TC drain to show up.

Thanks to my Ex for her showing the myopic way I had viewed the known information.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah! ~ I would be fascinated to know the date of manufacture of those two transmissions. As far as I can ascertain no W204 has ever been built in East London, SA without a TC drain. Later W203's like Johnand's had converter drains ~ German built car. If you buy a new TC for a 722.6 today it has a drain.

I would love to understand the history of those 2 cars proven to be without TC drains.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission service done, but ........