C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Seatbelt locked tight around headrest - how to release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300
Seatbelt locked tight around headrest - how to release **fixed**

Well I was working on my car and the seat belt kept getting in my way - so I wrapped it around the head rest to continue my work.

Now when I tried to pull it off the seatbelt is locked and everytime I pull it to try and release it, it keeps getting stuck tighter and tighter

I this point I am not sure how many options I have...

There is a torx bolt at the bottom where the seatbelt winds and is locked... that might release it but I am not even sure I can move the electric seat forward enough to get any tools in there...

I heard the head rest is really hard to get off as well... although that looks like it would release it

And then there's the top part of the seatbelt - but the side airbag is right there also... don't wanna mess around there and trigger the air bag and have worse problems.

This sux - and any help at all would def be appreciated

Last edited by Wiseguy_75; 10-21-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:21 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Wiseguy_75
Well I was working on my car and the seat belt kept getting in my way - so I wrapped it around the head rest to continue my work.

Now when I tried to pull it off the seatbelt is locked and everytime I pull it to try and release it, it keeps getting stuck tighter and tighter

There is a torx bolt at the bottom where the seatbelt winds and is locked... that might release it but I am not even sure I can move the electric seat forward enough to get any tools in there...

I heard the head rest is really hard to get off as well... although that looks like it would release it

And then there's the top part of the seatbelt - but the side airbag is right there also... don't wanna mess around there and trigger the air bag and have worse problems.

How about moving the seat forward and reclining the backrest a bit?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM

2009 C300
Originally Posted by RLE
How about moving the seat forward and reclining the backrest a bit?
The seat will only move an inch or two and can't recline at all... It's wrapped that tight
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
You can't remove the headrest by holding the adjustment and pulling all the way up?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I know this might seem obvious but did you try turning on the car and maybe pressing the brake on and off or driving a little distance (somewhere safe) to see if the tensioner releases?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
08 C230
You need to feed a little webbing into the seatbelt in order for it to unlock unless what you did was pulled out all the webbing and than wrapped it around the headrest and let whatever in. Than you will need to feed almost all the webbing in since you engaged the ALR. In this case, basically you either have to remove the anchor side of the seatbelt or remove the whole seatbelt all together.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
The seat will only move an inch or two and can't recline at all... It's wrapped that tight
The seat is all the way down?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 AM

2009 C300
No, the our head rests cannot be easily removed like most cars, I know the backing of the seat needs to come off to get at the locking mechanism (but removing the backing is what I am not sure how to do)

I will try driving the car a little and breaking (it will be safe, it's the passenger side)

And yes, the seat is all the way down as low as it will go.

I am not sure what you mean by webbing ... But the seatbelt strap has no looseness or play to let it go back in (and not because it's all out) its just locked and because it has tension on it, it won't release!

And I am not even sure I can remove any portion of the seatbelt as the seat is blocking ... So there is not enough room to get tools in there... Besides I am not exactly sure what I should be trying to take apart. I don't want to fool around with the top part as i think I would have to remove the plasticity covering the side wall air bag...

Removing the headrests seems like my best bet... So if anyone knows how to remove the seat backing, that will be my next try...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
08 C230
The webbing is the strap portion of the seatbelt. One more thing before you go through all the troubles of removing the headrest. Is the shoulder height adjuster in the lowest position? If it's not, than you can try and release it and put it in the lowest position allowing more webbing/strap to go into the seatbelt.

Sorry for the technical terms but I actually work for a company that manufactures seat belts for Toyota and Lexus.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 AM

2009 C300
Thanks... Webbing - got it!
Shoulder adjustment was alreadyall the way down... There was no play anywhere .

I finally got the headrest off and released my seatbelt. It took less than 15 mins to remove
Old 09-23-2013, 11:19 AM

2009 c300

I finally got the headrest off and released my seatbelt. It took less than 15 mins to remove

How did you remove the headrest? I have a c300 and I have the same issue? Pls help!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 AM

2009 C300
You basically have to take the back of the seat off... start from the very bottom, a little under the seat. I can't remember if it was screws or clips holding the seat backing in place... but it was pretty easy and quick to remove.

Then the head rest is a little trickier. The 2 chrome poles have a locking mechanism that need to be released. once you remove the backing, you should be able to see the bottom of the 2 chrome poles that are restricting you from removing the head rest... I am looking now to see if I still have pics on my old phone and the diagram of how to release the 2 chrome poles.

Send me your email and I shoot over the diagram.

Good luck. Post back here if you get stuck and I will try and help
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 AM

2009 c300
Smile

You basically have to take the back of the seat off... start from the very bottom, a little under the seat. I can't remember if it was screws or clips holding the seat backing in place... but it was pretty easy and quick to remove.

Then the head rest is a little trickier. The 2 chrome poles have a locking mechanism that need to be released. once you remove the backing, you should be able to see the bottom of the 2 chrome poles that are restricting you from removing the head rest... I am looking now to see if I still have pics on my old phone and the diagram of how to release the 2 chrome poles.

Thanks sooo much! I am a female, so I have no clue on how to do any of this however, I am going to take it into the dealership. My service guy says that it can be pulled off? I mean its a 2009 c300, I tried that and it didn't work. It seems like they will need to pull the back off and do all of that. This will help me bc he says that if he can't pull it off then they would have to cut the seatbelt and I would have to purchase a new one. I really don't want to do that. I think they should be able to pull the headrest off and be done with this. My email is lorena42_D@hotmail.com. If they cant do I'll find someone to do it for me. I refuse to have to purchase a new seatbelt...ughh so much money for everything! Thank you so much I appreciate this tremendously!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM

2009 C300
oups... ya, unfortunately it sounds like you might need a garage or dealership.

DO NOT let them cut your seatbelt. There is absolutely no need! And the fact that they suggested that, I would be worried. As soon as I find the diagram, I will send it to you... and then with that, any mechanically inclined person should be able to easily do it for you in less than a half hour... I did it in 15 mins.

I'm positive I did not delete it... but just got to find it... I'm looking for it now...
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM

2009 c300
oups... ya, unfortunately it sounds like you might need a garage or dealership.

DO NOT let them cut your seatbelt. There is absolutely no need! And the fact that they suggested that, I would be worried. As soon as I find the diagram, I will send it to you... and then with that, any mechanically inclined person should be able to easily do it for you in less than a half hour... I did it in 15 mins.

I'm positive I did not delete it... but just got to find it... I'm looking for it now...

Yeah, I am not sure why he told me that they may have to cut it. That would be my absolute last resource. Hopefully I can get this resolved. Thanks for your help again! I just joined this...good help on here!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM

2009 C300
Ok, Just emailed you the diagram and a few (hopefully) helpful photos.

Good luck! and again, I would not let them cut your seatbelt and it shouldn't take longer than 1 hr.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM

gmc 2003 envoy
Originally Posted by Domm
You can't remove the headrest by holding the adjustment and pulling all the way up?
trying to release the head rest to get the seat belt from around it
Old 08-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Crysler 2003
Smile

Originally Posted by lorena42_D
Thanks sooo much! I am a female, so I have no clue on how to do any of this however, I am going to take it into the dealership. My service guy says that it can be pulled off? I mean its a 2009 c300, I tried that and it didn't work. It seems like they will need to pull the back off and do all of that. This will help me bc he says that if he can't pull it off then they would have to cut the seatbelt and I would have to purchase a new one. I really don't want to do that. I think they should be able to pull the headrest off and be done with this. My email is lorena42_D@hotmail.com. If they cant do I'll find someone to do it for me. I refuse to have to purchase a new seatbelt...ughh so much money for everything! Thank you so much I appreciate this tremendously!!

Could you send this to me please... ambersettle.as@gmail.com
Old 11-02-2018, 12:31 AM

Jeep patriot sport

my seat belt is stuck and I can't get the headrest off and I was wondering if you could send me the diagram please
Old 09-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Chevy camaro
[QUOTE=Wiseguy_75;5400445]Well I was working on my car and the seat belt kept getting in my way - so I wrapped it around the head rest to continue my work.

[I need help I have a 2016 camaro, seatbelt is locked behind headrest, it is very taunt no wiggle roon and manual says headrest do not come off as well seat is as far back as it will go. Please any suggestions
Old 09-19-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
[I need help I have a 2016 camaro, seatbelt is locked behind headrest, it is very taunt no wiggle roon and manual says headrest do not come off as well seat is as far back as it will go. Please any suggestions[/QUOTE]

You have a Chevrolet, not a Mercedes. Unless someone on here is familiar with the interior of a Camaro, you probably won't find much help here. Try posting in a Camaro forum where members know that particuar model.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Dodge journey
Lock seatbelt

????How did you get the headrest off my wonton cone off

Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 PM

Gmc terrian
Headrest

Could u send the diagram to me please?? Stefanyc1668@gmail.com

Last edited by Stefany Carter; 04-14-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add email
Old 02-25-2022, 10:21 AM

Jeep compass
Help

I'm having the same troubles I just got my jeep and it was like that and I have no room to move my belt . Its all way down I tried moving my seat
Old 02-27-2022, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 909 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
Not sure how this is happening with people, but has anyone thought to remove the four bolts holding the seat to the floor?