C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Factory Backup Camera Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Factory Backup Camera Issues

I've been battling an issue with my backup camera for a while, and I finally have video of it acting up. I've brought it up with the dealer twice, but it will never act up for them. I think I have narrowed it down to being a temperature related issue - it only seems to pack it up between 40* and 60*. At first, I thought it might be a software issue because it was just going dark with no warning- but then temperature seems to play in a bit, and now it is starting this flickering bit.

I get random flickering, or sometimes the damn thing just won't turn on. Has anyone had a factory installed camera do this on them?

The first video is it not turning on, the second one is it acting generally stupid and flickering, and the third one has it really flickering to the point of blacking out - and then after a gear change it turns normal.

Hopefully this is enough evidence that they will do what they need to do to fix the damn thing.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Old thread but curious to find out if the problem was ever solved. My car's backup camera flickered once this afternoon; granted I was parked in an asphalt parking lot and the ambient temperature was above 100F but there's a first time for everything.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
It was fixed eventually, after 3 visits (not counting the 2 where nothing was done referenced above) and a scratched trunklid requiring repainting.

I humored them while they tried software updates twice, and after that I left it at the dealer and told them I was not accepting it back until hardware had been replaced. They found damaged pins in a connector between the trunklid and rear wiring harness. After replacing the trunklid harness the problem came back a week later, so they replaced whatever large wiring harness is in the back of my car as well as put a new camera in (this is where they gouged the hell out of my trunklid and had to repaint it).
Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
Sorry to hear but thanks for sharing. I'll monitor the situation.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
It was fixed eventually, after 3 visits (not counting the 2 where nothing was done referenced above) and a scratched trunklid requiring repainting.

I humored them while they tried software updates twice, and after that I left it at the dealer and told them I was not accepting it back until hardware had been replaced. They found damaged pins in a connector between the trunklid and rear wiring harness. After replacing the trunklid harness the problem came back a week later, so they replaced whatever large wiring harness is in the back of my car as well as put a new camera in (this is where they gouged the hell out of my trunklid and had to repaint it).
I have the same exact thing happening to me currently. Any idea who much the cost was to replace each of the items mentioned? Thx