C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Another EIS/Steering Lock Victim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
Another EIS/Steering Lock Victim

Only one pre-cursor to the failure. Last weekend, I parked on a hill so naturally turned the wheels full-lock towards the curb. When I got back to the car, it wouldn't start, with only the speedo msg lighting up. Could hear the steering lock try to move, but was very strained. I turned the wheel more so towards the curb and finally the lock released. I thought it was becuase I had locked it in an extreme pressure position.
Fast-fwd to Weds. and the car is just parked in the garage with the wheel at dead center. Go to turn the key and... nothing. Tried 20-30 times re-inserting the key, but no go.

Just got the car back to today. Was originally quoted $800 if the lock was not seized and $1K if it was and they had to *drill* it out. Of course, my luck fell on the seized side.

My SA was fantastic, keeping me up to date with progress and, on my request, asked MBUSA for assistance with the bill. They ended up picking up the cost of the part, leaving me with the labor ($625). While I would've loved for it to have been the other way around, I'll gladly take it as this is the only major issue I've had in 4yrs of ownership. The melting tail lamp connector was the other issue, but isn't major IMO and was taken care of by the dealership even though I was well out of warranty.

ps as this was an unplanned service call, the only loaner available the first two days was a Smart ForTwo Passion. Cool little car, but horrendous shifting. Literally a lunge and two second delay between every shift; swapped it out for the weekend with an E350. Talk about buttery smooth. I was pleasantly surprised here. As I'm a lifer manual transmission guy (for a daily driver), I always complained about the jerkiness off the line w/ automatics. While the E wasn't completely devoid of this, it was very easy to control/feather. I did enjoy the paddle shifters, too.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
was wondering how many miles you have on the car ?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Seems like a 2008-2009 problem.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by nismosr
was wondering how many miles you have on the car ?
66.5K... well out of warranty, but purchased and serviced at the same dealer, which greatly contributed to the assistance from MBUSA according to my SA.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
What year is your car?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by victort
What year is your car?
2009 Black C300 Sport 6MT
Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010Mercedes w204
Originally Posted by Doanster
66.5K... well out of warranty, but purchased and serviced at the same dealer, which greatly contributed to the assistance from MBUSA according to my SA.
Sounds a lot like discrimination to me. What does a defective part have to do with whether you bought the car new or not. This does'nt surprise me with MB! That's why I immediately unloaded my '10 c class. I couldn't own anything from a company that thinks like that. Some people don't see it that way.Shame.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:21 PM

2010Mercedes w204
Sounds a lot like discrimination to me. What does a defective part have to do with whether you bought the car new or not. This does'nt surprise me with MB! That's why I immediately unloaded my '10 c class after my EIS/ESL failure. I couldn't own anything from a company that thinks like that. Some people don't see it that way.Shame.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Discrimination?!? Honestly? It's called GOODWILL. I was out of warranty by 16K miles.
I hope this turns into a recall and I'll get my $625 back since it's an endemic problem, but them providing partial coverage is a direct result of the service history. I am no dealership fan-boy and do as much work as possible on my own, but saying this is discrimination is ludicrous.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:33 AM

2010Mercedes w204
Discrimination?!? Honestly? It's called GOODWILL. I was out of warranty by 16K miles.
I hope this turns into a recall and I'll get my $625 back since it's an endemic problem, but them providing partial coverage is a direct result of the service history. I am no dealership fan-boy and do as much work as possible on my own, but saying this is discrimination is ludicrous.
Honestly?Yes! Your EIS is the same as my EIS. Your service history has nothing to do with the part in question. There is nothing that a dealer can do during MB maintenance that could prevent the failure of that part. You spent more at the dealer than I did. I bought used and was 2 months out of warranty with 35,000 miles. Does that mean,because you did more business with MB that the same part that I have, manufactured by the same company,shouldn't be covered because you spent more? Therefore-the people that bought used are being discriminated against.I'm thrilled that you got partially covered, BUT,this is not a normal everyday failure. Everyone should be 100% covered. Mine was $2,000! In that respect, I got really screwed and you got partially screwed! Lol!
As far as your refund--good for you but I hope that you see my point that because one does more business with MB doesn't mean that a failed part should be treated any differently. We are all in the same boat.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 AM

2010Mercedes w204
"Discrimination--restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making."
It sounds right to me. Restricting members that didn't spend money with MB from the opportunity of being covered all equal.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
The difference here is that no TSB or recall has been issued. We are all hoping that happens so that whatever we spent out of pocket will be refunded. Until that happens, we were both out of warranty, so MB didn't have to do a darn thing. In my case, they chose to help based on the history and undoubtedly wanting to have me return for service or purchase another car down the road. It's just good business sense. Does it suck that they didn't cover you at only 35K miles? Absolutely. Would I dump the car/brand because of it? Nope. Remember the fuel pump issues on the e90 cars? I'm sure there were identical stories of one person getting help while another didn't. Eventually there was a TSB/recall if I'm not mistaken.

Think of it this way... if a frequent patron of a bar gets comp'd a drink at the end of the night and you don't because you're new in town, do you feel discriminated against?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM

2012 C250
The difference here is that no TSB or recall has been issued. We are all hoping that happens so that whatever we spent out of pocket will be refunded. Until that happens, we were both out of warranty, so MB didn't have to do a darn thing. In my case, they chose to help based on the history and undoubtedly wanting to have me return for service or purchase another car down the road. It's just good business sense. Does it suck that they didn't cover you at only 35K miles? Absolutely. Would I dump the car/brand because of it? Nope. Remember the fuel pump issues on the e90 cars? I'm sure there were identical stories of one person getting help while another didn't. Eventually there was a TSB/recall if I'm not mistaken.

Think of it this way... if a frequent patron of a bar gets comp'd a drink at the end of the night and you don't because you're new in town, do you feel discriminated against?
He probably would...
Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 PM

2010Mercedes w204

It's not just me. Everyone should get 100% is all that I'm saying. I have never been about myself (imagine that in this country!). I'm not begrudging you because you got paid as I think that I already said that. I just think that MB should stand tall and honor a common problem. If you want to keep on buying those "drinks" that's up to you. You are entitled to your opinion as I am. I wouldn't hold my breath for a recall. I think that you already know that.
Well--I really don't belong here anymore after not being able to trust my c class and trading it in.
I sincerely wish the best to all of you on this forum and wish you luck with the rest of your ownership. Bluehardtail--over and out!