C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Removing rear deck cover and/or rear seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 2008 C300 Sport Loaded + Silver 2005 WRX STi Cobb Stage 4
Removing rear deck cover and/or rear seat?

Has anyone attempted to remove the cover over the rear deck? If so, how did you remove the piece? I spent some time looking around and trying to figure it out but was unable to
Then I figured that I could take off the rear seat's vertical/back pad to get at it but that was quickly stopped lol. I took off the seat pad and removed several nuts and bolts which did make the vertical pad loose and I tried sliding it around to remove it from any hooks but was unable to.

And and all advice to the removal mainly of the rear deck cover and/or vertical part of the rear seat would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by ronmeister
Has anyone attempted to remove the cover over the rear deck? If so, how did you remove the piece? I spent some time looking around and trying to figure it out but was unable to
Then I figured that I could take off the rear seat's vertical/back pad to get at it but that was quickly stopped lol. I took off the seat pad and removed several nuts and bolts which did make the vertical pad loose and I tried sliding it around to remove it from any hooks but was unable to.

And and all advice to the removal mainly of the rear deck cover and/or vertical part of the rear seat would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
The rear seat backrests usually slide upwards after removing the bolts at the lower corners, exposed after the seat cushion is removed.

To remove the package shelf, you may have to remove the C-post covers.

This was the procedure in my W203 and I don't know why it would change very much.

Be careful because all those plastic parts are fragile and expensive.

I went through this when installing a slideout storage drawer, unfortunately no longer available.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
for rear seat removal. First pop off the bottom cushion (pressure pin). Then unscrew the bottom bolts on the backrest. Next crawl into the trunk and there's a latch hook that needs to be unhooked which should allow you to tilt the seat back forward to give you the clearance to remove the headrests. Then just slide out the backrest.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM

Black 2008 C300 Sport Loaded + Silver 2005 WRX STi Cobb Stage 4
Great thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 AM

2012 c300, 2013 328i xdrive coupe
When crawling into the trunk to un-latch the two hooks that need to be unhooked, how do actually do the unhooking?

Got stuck trying to remove the rear seat back. I removed the torx screws at the bottom corners of the pad, and removed the nut screws towards the center.

I couldn't get any further, or unhook the hooks in the trunk. Probably best that I didn't get too far, I didn't know what i was doing and could have run into more expensive problems (my end goal was to remove the shelf to fix the center seat belt mistake i made, see below)

Long story short, I tried fixing the annoying persistent rattle in the rear center seat belt mechanism. I gave up trying to have the dealer fix it, so i sprayed foam around the mechanism where i thought the rattle came from (if you hammer the bottom of the seat belt tensioner in the trunk, you'll hear the rattle and know what i'm talking about).

The foam grew as it dried very hard, and overtook the tensioner, and the seat belt no longer worked. UGH!! $$$ repair in my future. And embarrassing.

Today I fixed it. I just used some handy tools to chip away at the foam, and the seat belt and tensioner works again. Phew. Didn't need to remove the seats.

I've had my CPO W204 350 for 5 months. Original delivery date 10/07, i'm second owner as of 01/11. Interior makes too many noises despite the dynamatting.

Now there are persistent rattle and creak sounds when the sunroof is half way open or fully open, at low and high speeds and on best and worst roads. Dealers are unwilling to fix it unless i agree to take unwarrantied-responsibility for any problem (rattle, leaks) their workmanship could cause. In other words, they don't want to touch it unless the sunroof motor dies or it starts leaking.

i'm scared to touch it given the other dumb things i've tried to troubleshoot myself. Lesson learned, leave the car alone and learn how to play hardball with the dealer.

Back to the topic of rear seat removing:
Here's some tips for newbies to avoid damaging your leather/mbtex or plastic parts:

Tip: I removed the rear bottom cushion successfully on my second try. My first try, after popping out the pressure pins, i should have lifted the forward edge slightly creating and angle, and gently pushed the backward edge towards the back to separate the C-hooks. My mistake on my first try, was putting too much force on either side. This bent the metal that shapes the shell of the seat pad, which caused ruffles/kinks in the leather. Counter-bending carefully fixed it.

Re-installing the bottom cushion seems easy when you re-hook the c-hook once you actually see and study the geometry of the hooks. Here's a tip before snapping the pressure pins back into place - force is needed, but be careful that the female plastic piece on the metal frame doesn't move around, and if it does, make sure it is aligned to the male pin before applying firm pressure. Don't jump on it and apply firm but careful pressure.

-Joe

Last edited by boycjo2; 06-11-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
I know this post is pretty old but I thought I would post this up for users that are looking for this answer more recently. I had been looking for information on how to remove the rear seats on my C300 and found little information when it came to detailed pictures or videos so I made my own:

W204 Rear Seat Removal - YouTube.com
W204 Subwoofer and Amp Install - YouTube.com
W204 Sub After Install Performance - YouTube.com

Last edited by PepsiManKolt; 10-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 EQS580
I am solving the same puzzle

Hi guys,
I am trying to get rid of a very annoying rattle (you know, not a loud one but the one that you can always hear and it drives you nuts) in passenger side rear deck / headliner / seatbelt assembly area. I spent a few days googling and I could find only a few pieces of information on how to do that so I decided to go ahead and see if I can do it blindly. So far I haven't done much damage (just broke one plastic clip which holds trunk cover - $5 at the dealership). I managed to take off the seatbelt assembly cover and rear deck cover. I am posting my progress on this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-c...bly-cover.html
Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 sport
I recently started getting a annoying rear deck rattle over small bumps and imperfections in the road. This has only started a few months ago when the weather started getting much colder In Cali. I finally narrowed it down to the flimsy rear deck cover behind the headrests. I went into the trunk and felt foam in the trunk area beneath the rear deck, I pushed up on the foam and had someone verify that it did in fact push up against the rear deck. I hypothesized that during cold weather the foam shrinks, compared to expansion in warm weather. I looked around town for some comparable rubber foam but in an instance of laziness I decided to try cardboard instead. I stuffed cut pieces of folded cardboard into any spaces I felt weren't tight enough. I've been driving around for a few days and have yet to hear any rear deck rattle since. This was supposed to be a temporary fix but I might just keep it this way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.