C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad exhuast smell at WOT after xpipe install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Bad exhuast smell at WOT after xpipe install

Hey guys, I did some searching on here and can't find an exact answer so I'm asking for help. My car is a 2011 C300 4Matic Sport.

I had my resonator replaced with 2.25" magnaflow x-pipe and had quad tips isntalled in July. In august, I was rear-ended at a stop light and my car was in a MB repair shop for nearly a month and a half. Since I've gotten it back, whenever I get on the throttle good, at city or highway speeds, my passenger's and I smell a terrible rotten egg smell. It can be smelled with the windows up or down and traveling at 30 or 90 MPH. I know the AC duct smell as I had that when I first bought it CPO in December '12 and this is not the same smell.

My search said it may be the gas? May be the catalytic converters? I am due for a service in about a month and want to know if I should have them look into this. The car is still under warranty both as a certified pre-owned as well as the optional extended warranty coverage.

I would really like to get this issue corrected as it truely is a super unpleasant smell! But I am nervous that the MB Dealer will void my warranty if it is something with the motor/exhuast system based on my removal of the resonator and installation of the x-pipe...

Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks - Jay
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MurderedC300
Hey guys, I did some searching on here and can't find an exact answer so I'm asking for help. My car is a 2011 C300 4Matic Sport.

I had my resonator replaced with 2.25" magnaflow x-pipe and had quad tips isntalled in July. In august, I was rear-ended at a stop light and my car was in a MB repair shop for nearly a month and a half. Since I've gotten it back, whenever I get on the throttle good, at city or highway speeds, my passenger's and I smell a terrible rotten egg smell. It can be smelled with the windows up or down and traveling at 30 or 90 MPH. I know the AC duct smell as I had that when I first bought it CPO in December '12 and this is not the same smell.

My search said it may be the gas? May be the catalytic converters? I am due for a service in about a month and want to know if I should have them look into this. The car is still under warranty both as a certified pre-owned as well as the optional extended warranty coverage.

I would really like to get this issue corrected as it truely is a super unpleasant smell! But I am nervous that the MB Dealer will void my warranty if it is something with the motor/exhuast system based on my removal of the resonator and installation of the x-pipe...

Thanks - Jay
Hard to know what the status of your car may be, but the rotten egg odor is usually hydrogen sulfide from a defective catalytic converter. I suggest early attention from a qualified technician.

http://www.gmitoxics.com/aug05_eggs_article.html
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 AM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Has anyone else with the magnaflow stainless xpipe installed ever had damage to a catalytic converter as a result of the install of it? My car has just over 41,000 miles on it currently... I'm just nervous that if I bring it in for my service and ask to have the cats checked and they determine that that is the problem that they will viod my warranty and not cover the repairs.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C180 Coupé (prev '99 CLK200)
Originally Posted by Sportstick
the rotten egg odor is usually hydrogen sulfide from a defective catalytic converter.
Another possibility is a default in ignition system / spark plug, unburned gazoline going through the catalytic converter stinks...

Pascal
Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM

2011 c300
Originally Posted by MurderedC300

Thanks - Jay

when you put a new exhaust component on usually they have an anti-corrosive coating on them from storage, that smell is it burning off...... hopefully.

I just did mine and it smelled for about a day. Now it's fine.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by Wawatusi
when you put a new exhaust component on usually they have an anti-corrosive coating on them from storage, that smell is it burning off...... hopefully.

I just did mine and it smelled for about a day. Now it's fine.
This has smelled whenever I get on the throttle good for a couple of months now. I know for other cars its normal if your on them hard for the cats to start smelling but it never happened before the install so I just didn't know if the x-pipe's lack of backpressure or whatever it could have possibly altered in the exhaust system could have possibly screwed up the cats...

The car is not displaying any trouble codes or messages on the dash.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM

c300 2011
Dear,
I have the same car and installed xpipe magnaflow , and also, I smell the same bad exhaust smell!! since two months.

any comments?!!

did you find solution?!! or any suggestions.

regards...
Thaiban
Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by thaiban
Dear,
I have the same car and installed xpipe magnaflow , and also, I smell the same bad exhaust smell!! since two months.

any comments?!!

did you find solution?!! or any suggestions.

regards...
Thaiban

Unfortunately no I don't have a solution. I brought it to the dealer and had a tech ride with me. The smell is extremely bad after I rip on it a little especially with the windows down. The tech said "it's normal" and they can't replace the cats under warranty unless they are throwing some kind of code. My car is showing no codes or messages so they could not replace under warranty... Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Let it run for a few weeks. Mine did that first and after a 2 weeks it did not smell anymore.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Mine has had this smell bad smell whenever I accelerate hard since July of 2013. It's now April of 2014. Still have the smell happening...
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Try changing your gas station if you always go to the same one. Maybe it's your gas (not your own gas, that will always smell LOL!)...maybe.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 AM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Haha no I understand and I have a was also recommended by the dealer and no change. Still the same extreme rotten egg smell
Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 AM

2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 4matic
It is possible for catalytic converters to be bad and there to be no codes thrown. I would take the car to a good muffler shop and have them check all of the welds and your catalytic converters.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
Did you change anything else on the rear of the car (ie - spoiler, etc)?? Anything that may be changing the airflow at the rear of the car may be causing the exhaust to swirl back or seep in through the trunk seal, etc. Just a different thought.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
I added a c63 rear diffuser, Brabus 3 peice spoiler and a roof/rear window spoiler, both are small and shouldn't change the airflow all that much. It smells like rotten eggs and happenes nearly everytime I drive and is worse when I accelerate hard or am at higher rpms.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 PM

C300 4Matic
My 2012 is completely stock and it has had that smell when i get on it for months. No codes, only 21k on the clock and I visit 3 stations regularly. If I baby it, no smell but if i drive with spirit it comes right away.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:06 PM

2012 C300
I've usually gotten that smell from cars that run without any catalytic converters, or a cat has failed. I find it extremely strange that a tech told you the smell is "normal". That is a completely unacceptable response.

The only thing is the exhaust has some work done to it, which they could somehow twist and say the smell is due to some of the exhaust work you had done.