C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sirius displays "no service"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Sirius displays "no service"

So one day last week I got this message when I went to tune in on my Sirius satellite hoping to blast some speed metal on the ole HK system.

After calling Sirius support' crack team of engineers they trid to reset from their side to no avail, I came to the conclusion the problem wasn't Sirius.

I really enjoyed their, "second level support". 1. Remove key, 2. Open car door, 3. Close car door, 4. Insert key, 5. Turn key on, 6. Turn on radio, 7. Does it work? No? So sorry! Verrry impressive! MIT EE's have nothing over these guys!

I found that talking to Sirius support like you talk to the automated voice routing system seems to be most effective - i.e. s l o w and clear, no multiple syllable words or complex sentences...

My shop & the MB dealer wanted $130 & $150 to diagnose the problem. So I decided to take a crack at it myself.

On a lot the threads the dealers try troubleshoot the antennas, while they DO fail its fairly rare for this to occur (I'm a Sr. Engineer for Tier 1 cellular carrier, I know these things. yup, I'm one of the the guys you curse when your call fails to go through.)

How to get to the receiver:
- Fold down the back seats (if you can)
- Pop the 2 black carpet anchors on the right & left hand sides where the back seat meets the trunk carpet.
- Lift the trunk carpet out of the trunk
- In front of the spare wheel well - remove the 2 D-Ring child seat anchors with a torx wrench
- Slide the plastic cover towards the back of the car exposing the receiver. Note, when replacing the plastic cover make sure the 3 clips on the underside catch the metal lip.
- Marvel at the clean design, fit and quality of your MB trunk. Personally I was very impressed.
- Activate the XM radio. if your seats fold down you will have a clear line of sight to the display.
- Remove the antenna by pressing down the locking tab in the center of the blue clip and pull (it should be kind of tight). Check to see if the message on the display changes (mine did not)
- Remove the black square connector by pressing down the locking tab.
- Appreciate the fact that they use digital toslink optical cable to the head unit instead of plain ole copper.
- My display message changed from "no service" to "device not found"
- I concluded my receiver died and went to Delphi hell where it belongs. They OEM Delphi, GAH!, guess ya gotta cut corners somewhere!
- I purchased a used unit off of Fleabay for $175. Other sellers were proudly selling (or not selling) others for $250. Or buy a new unit for $600. I figure I won't go though 3 used ones before I sell the car but that's me.
- Pop in your new unit and call Sirius and enjoy their "stellar" service.

...Now only if I can get my tranny not to whiplash me when downshifting... Enjoy your service rep give you the, 3 "monkeys" while telling you. "no problem found", when they have been seeing that issue for years...

Last edited by BoxersRule; 04-17-2014 at 11:27 PM.