C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Luxury vs Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by BenzManNy
Ok so removing all your finding and factors from the above equation. How can the sport model sells more?
Because that's what MB sends to the US in much higher numbers? My family went to go lease a W204 in 2007/8. The inventory was already heavily weighted toward Sport trim models. People in the US generally don't special order their cars. Our dealer even said that the "Luxury" trim (which we had requested) was only for "old" people.

The Sports model sells well because crass and cynical marketing techniques apparently work wonders.

Most of the C-classes I see here in LA are driven by older (> 50 yr old) females. I assume they like the small size and the big shiny emblem.... ::shrug::
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
I had a C300 Lux loaner a while back from my dealer for a day - I actually asked for it over a sport they were going to give me. It wasn't a bad car at all - the softness is definitely there where it is not with the sport. My car has 18's, so it was probably more apparent to me. It did not feel sloppy at all though - it still felt German.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by spyked
I've rented C class Sports and my dealer fleet is all black or white Sports with plastic interior trim.
There is not a C class in the US with plastic trim... it's either aluminum or wood.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2013 C250 sport
I think he's talking about mindset, not outright quality. Cadillac has made TERRIBLE decisions through the years, AND it's a GM car=bad combo 10+ years ago.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by djejglk
I think he's talking about mindset, not outright quality. Cadillac has made TERRIBLE decisions through the years, AND it's a GM car=bad combo 10+ years ago.
Right.... but I think the mindset when you make crap quality cars is very different than the mindset you have when you're one of the most prestigious, well-respected, well-known brands in the world (regardless of industry) and are trying to expand market share (esp in China) and maintain relevance....

Lexus didn't become the best selling luxury make for several yrs because it had aggressive, sporty cars. In fact, isn't one of its best selling cars the RX (which I consider the luxury version of a soccer mom minivan)? ::shrug::
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 SPORT
Originally Posted by alsyli
Right.... but I think the mindset when you make crap quality cars is very different than the mindset you have when you're one of the most prestigious, well-respected, well-known brands in the world (regardless of industry) and are trying to expand market share (esp in China) and maintain relevance....

Lexus didn't become the best selling luxury make for several yrs because it had aggressive, sporty cars. In fact, isn't one of its best selling cars the RX (which I consider the luxury version of a soccer mom minivan)? ::shrug::
Yep, GF has one.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:59 PM

2013 C250 Sport P1
Originally Posted by BenzManNy
Numbers are real. People prefer the sport model to the lux model. Cycle of life. People buy, MB notices demands build more and sell more.
There is no analysis needed to figure this out.

MB is not a brand dedicated to the old and rich anymore as just about anyone (at least where I live in Jersey City makes enough to buy them new or cpo.

I think you missed at least part of the point Sportstick was making. MBUSA built the C-Class for the USA as 90% Sport and 10% Luxury. Selling 100% of what they had built couldn't result in any other ratio. How many people bought a Sport because there weren't any Luxury on the lot? That's one question that isn't likely to be answered.

Me? I agree that the Sport looks better, but wouldn't mind if the ride were more forgiving on rougher roads.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Hmmm I'm really in the minority here because I'm 23 and love the Elegance trim in my W203 and in the future might buy a Luxury trim W204 when I'm ready to get another one. When I think Benz I think comfy and quiet before any other driving quality. I test drove a BMW 328i E90 and it was firmer riding but the handling was great and it felt definitively like a BMW should but I think the extra firmness will feel out of character for a Benz. The only thing that stopped me from getting a BMW was all that cheap plastic under the hood (cooling pipes, plastic electric water pump and various plastic crap under there). In an effort to stay relevant and try to push into a new direction MB IMO sort of lost their direction but I'm sure being patient enough will find me what I desire as luxury models will still be made. The sport models look far better and perhaps I should test drive a W204 sport first but if it rides anything like an E350 sport with AMG wheels then I'm not too sure.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 PM

E350-2014 Sport ,Honda 2001 Accord, FireBird-1992-Formula
Grill

We got the E350 Sport, the one with the commercial grill - star in the grill. Yep, same as the Sprinter. Knew it was the same as the taxi model with the plastic seats.

Really did not want for special order for leather.

Last edited by ljoeurban; 06-07-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Khan28
Hmmm I'm really in the minority here because I'm 23 and love the Elegance trim in my W203 and in the future might buy a Luxury trim W204 when I'm ready to get another one. When I think Benz I think comfy and quiet before any other driving quality. I test drove a BMW 328i E90 and it was firmer riding but the handling was great and it felt definitively like a BMW should but I think the extra firmness will feel out of character for a Benz. The only thing that stopped me from getting a BMW was all that cheap plastic under the hood (cooling pipes, plastic electric water pump and various plastic crap under there). In an effort to stay relevant and try to push into a new direction MB IMO sort of lost their direction but I'm sure being patient enough will find me what I desire as luxury models will still be made. The sport models look far better and perhaps I should test drive a W204 sport first but if it rides anything like an E350 sport with AMG wheels then I'm not too sure.
You may be an outlier on an enthusiast forum, but your automotive desires are likely more consistent with the overall majority of MB owners, regardless of what they bought out of inventory, knowingly or not. You are a good example of an earlier point that sport vs luxury is not a matter of demographics. It results from psychographic differences which are found across all age groups.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 C300 4 Matic
My test drive yesterday.

First, I like my 2013 C300 4 Matic sport. What I like best is the handling and responsiveness of the car. BUT, I have always thought that the car had a "too harsh" ride over bad pavement (cracks and broken road and other imperfections). Handles/Rides absolutely great on good road.

Because of the harshness on some of the crapy streets we have in Albuquerque, I have been interested in the luxury version of the C300 and I was able to test drive a 2013 C300 4 Matic luxury over a crappy street just before the same drive in my car. The luxury definitely exhibited a big difference in ride quality over the rough stuff. But, the luxury also had much heavier steering and wasn't as responsive in the steering as my sport. So. - even though I would like less harshness over the crappy stuff - I don't think I would trade.

I do wish that Koni made FSD shocks for my sport.

Ymmv.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:38 AM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by abqhudson
But, the luxury also had much heavier steering and wasn't as responsive in the steering as my sport.
Question: Did the luxury model have heavier steering at all speeds (i.e., speeds below and above 40 MPH)?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:14 PM

2018 C300 4 Matic
I guess that I can't answer for certain.
I did notice quite a difference at low speed. Never got much above 40 for my test.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:17 PM

2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by abqhudson
I guess that I can't answer for certain.
I did notice quite a difference at low speed. Never got much above 40 for my test.
No prob. =) I recall the W211s had ridiculously light steering at low speed and that the steering weighed up at higher speeds. Perhaps the W204 Luxury is heavy at all speeds (which is my preference). Just trying to extrapolate to what MB might do for the W205 Luxury....
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM

2018 C300 4 Matic
Originally Posted by alsyli
No prob. =) I recall the W211s had ridiculously light steering at low speed and that the steering weighed up at higher speeds. Perhaps the W204 Luxury is heavy at all speeds (which is my preference). Just trying to extrapolate to what MB might do for the W205 Luxury....
Not really trying to change the subject, but, the new C class cars will not have a spare tire. That rules them out for me - I still like to take road trips in the west.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 AM

2014 C250 Luxury
Practical considerations

Custom ordered my 2014 C250 Luxury (ordered just after Labor Day '13 and picked it up just before Xmas '13) and it was definitely worth the wait. I liked the Sport Grill with the star but was not too enamored with the aero effects look, 3 pointed steering wheel, extensive brushed metal interior trim and staggered tires. I ordered the optional star grill (can't wait for the LED star to be street legal) and have the ability to rotate my tires to extend their wear. Also liked the wood trim better. I'm in my early 50's but was not in the market for a new car until the service engine light came on in my 2002 Saturn L200 (a practical car that I drove for over 11 yrs. and over 250K miles). I don't change cars very often and I figured I had 2 cars left in me before I was no longer able to enjoy driving one. So I decided to splurge for a MB as it had been one of my father's personal unfulfilled desires (it's an Asian thing). I like the softer suspension and the acceleration is plenty fast for me compared to my previous car. Just my $0.02...
Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
16 E350 4M wagon, 70 911T
aboutdamntime, our perspectives sound a bit similar though our resulting purchases differ slightly.

I bought my 2014 C250 Sport about 3 months before I turned 51. I preferred everything about the Sport over the Luxury except for the aluminum trim (Ash interior could use a little warmth visually) and the grille (star too big for a small sedan, belongs on a Unimog or Sprinter; I'd swap for a Lux grille and hood ornament but fear the standing star would get vandalized). I love the Sport steering wheel's three spokes, chunky grip and flat bottom. I would prefer to be able to rotate my tires; perhaps if I buy another set of wheels in the future that can happen. The ride is firm but not too firm (like the E90 3er which seems firm just for the sake of being firm) and the 17-inch wheel/tire combo, while not as attractive as the 18s, does a better job of soaking up the undulations of crappy eastern US roads (though I will say I've been impressed with NC's roads on my drives through lately).

My last daily driver before the C250 I had for 9 1/2 years (2005 Subaru Forester XT). I am hopeful that this C will last me as long with similar reliability. Then there will be one more car for me before I lose the faculties to enjoy driving. That said, my father had a C5 Corvette and drove it enthusiastically until age 75 so there's some chance for me to do the same. I know the days of buying a new M-B and expecting it to last a generation are gone, but I hold out a ray of hope. If time travel were possible I'd strongly consider going back to 1985, buying one of the last W123 300TDs to roll off the line, and bringing it back to the present day.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 AM

2014 C250 Luxury
crater64, I guess our dads had more of an impact on us than we would like to believe! I learned to drive in his 1980 Olds Delta 88 and believed I would eventually end up in some sort of touring sedan. Was looking at Cadillacs before I settled on the MB. Got a nod of approval from my boss though who also drives an MB (2012 C63 AMG) but he gave me a slight dig for getting the Luxury and not the Sport. I didn't like the harsh ride in his AMG although the acceleration is neck-snapping...
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM

I've been wanting to get my hands on a C63 AMG for a long weekend (I'd hate to have to feed it for much longer than that!). The W204 chassis has impressed me more than I expected it to; I'd love to see how it does with a lot more power even as the big V8 changes the weight distribution.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Interesting discussion above.....I'm order than either of you, just having hit 60 this year. I grew up with my dad in a series of GM products until my mom and I conspired to sell his Cutlass Supreme (455 cu in V8!!) out from under him and secretly order a 1977 BMW 530i in his favorite color of green. After that, he went back to Oldsmobile.....oh, well....I tried!

As for the C, I bought a Sport and found it could use some more "Sport" than the original design intent. Strut tower brace and Eibach antisway bars helped, and did stiffen it a bit more. Seems to go well with being a manual trans. But, it only satisfied me for so long.....I just ordered (yesterday, actually!) a new BMW 2 Series....orange, stick, track package, so I intend to keep having fun for a long time to come!

Anyone interested in a pristine, low mileage, manual 2009 C300? I will get around to creating a classified shortly. The new one comes in August.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
IStrut tower brace and Eibach antisway bars helped, and did stiffen it a bit more.
I'm intrigued. Strut tower braces helped my Subies; I'll need to investigate. My only mods have been to debadge the trunk and to install a sunglasses holder in place of the driver's grab handle.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
When I was about to buy my C300 I test drove both a sport and luxury model. I was coming from driving a 87 560SL as my daily diver for going on 3 years. I drove the sport first, and it felt nothing like the Mercedes ride I had come accustom too. Specially with this being a newer sedan, I was expecting a way better ride than what I experienced. I gotta say this almost made me completely pass on a Mercedes all together. I'm glad on a whim when we got back to the dealership I asked to drive the Luxury model to see if there was a difference. Wow, what a difference. Even though the sport does look better, the luxury just has such a better ride. I buy a Mercedes to have a magic carpet ride everywhere I go, not feel like I'm in a track car when the car has a subpar V6 anyway.

TLDR: I'm extremely happy with my Luxury model choice. The sport just doesn't have the legendary Mercedes feel in my opinion. And in reference to the discussion about age being a factor, I'm 25.

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-17-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: words
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Skyline45
I buy a Mercedes to have a magic carpet ride everywhere I go, not feel like I'm in a track car when the car has a subpar V6 anyway. The sport just doesn't have the legendary Mercedes feel in my opinion. And in reference to the discussion about age being a factor, I'm 25.
Bingo....psychographics, not demographics, rule.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM

2014 C250 Luxury
The other factor I didn't mention earlier was the wife's approval once I made (or she allowed me to make) the choice for the Luxury. She didn't care too much for the Sport look/feel. I totally agree with Sportstick on that whole psychographic vs. demographic marketing. I go against stereotype all the time and delight in surprising people with my interests/tastes vs. their preconceived notions of me.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM

2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Originally Posted by Skyline45
When I was about to buy my C300 I test drove both a sport and luxury model. I was coming from driving a 87 560SL as my daily diver for going on 3 years. I drove the sport first, and it felt nothing like the Mercedes ride I had come accustom too. Specially with this being a newer sedan, I was expecting a way better ride than what I experienced. I gotta say this almost made me completely pass on a Mercedes all together. I'm glad on a whim when we got back to the dealership I asked to drive the Luxury model to see if there was a difference. Wow, what a difference. Even though the sport does look better, the luxury just has such a better ride. I buy a Mercedes to have a magic carpet ride everywhere I go, not feel like I'm in a track car when the car has a subpar V6 anyway.

TLDR: I'm extremely happy with my Luxury model choice. The sport just doesn't have the legendary Mercedes feel in my opinion. And in reference to the discussion about age being a factor, I'm 25.
I wish you could get the luxury ride but with the sport look. I love the lowered stance, sporty grill, front end touches and rims of the sport model C Classes but prefer the ride of the luxury. It's weird though, if I bought a BMW I wouldn't hesitate to make sure it's an M Sport model because being a BMW it should be firm riding and roll free in the corners and feel like a very sporty car though I still maintain an MB should ride soft and heavy with decent handling and leave the sporty characteristics for the AMG which is a beast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Luxury vs Sport