C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Luxury vs Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Khan28
I wish you could get the luxury ride but with the sport look. I love the lowered stance, sporty grill, front end touches and rims of the sport model C Classes but prefer the ride of the luxury. It's weird though, if I bought a BMW I wouldn't hesitate to make sure it's an M Sport model because being a BMW it should be firm riding and roll free in the corners and feel like a very sporty car though I still maintain an MB should ride soft and heavy with decent handling and leave the sporty characteristics for the AMG which is a beast.
Agreed. ^.^ However, I do have to say, the luxury model look is growing on me with ever passing day. Looking down the hood to see the old school hood emblem design make me giddy everytime I drive it lol. I still wish it had the lower ground effects though, but I've decided the grill defiantly stays. With some possible modification to light it up with LED's like the new models xD
Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 Luxury
I second the LED star! That's why I opted for the Sport grill on my Luxury model.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by aboutdamntime
I second the LED star! That's why I opted for the Sport grill on my Luxury model.
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but can't bring myself to get rid of the hood ornament now. And having two stars might be a little overboard lol. I was considering putting the LED's on my 87 560 though due to the grill almost looking exactly like the C300 sport model. You know, a touch of new on something classic xD

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-17-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: More Words
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
Hmmm I'm really in the minority here because I'm 23 and love the Elegance trim in my W203 and in the future might buy a Luxury trim W204 when I'm ready to get another one. When I think Benz I think comfy and quiet before any other driving quality. I test drove a BMW 328i E90 and it was firmer riding but the handling was great and it felt definitively like a BMW should but I think the extra firmness will feel out of character for a Benz. The only thing that stopped me from getting a BMW was all that cheap plastic under the hood (cooling pipes, plastic electric water pump and various plastic crap under there). In an effort to stay relevant and try to push into a new direction MB IMO sort of lost their direction but I'm sure being patient enough will find me what I desire as luxury models will still be made. The sport models look far better and perhaps I should test drive a W204 sport first but if it rides anything like an E350 sport with AMG wheels then I'm not too sure.
I am with you, although I am in my 40s. I tried different versions of MBs and a few other brands before deciding on C300 Luxury model. I love the car! The elegant look and the comfortable ride are what I think MB is about.

I also see Sportstick's point. It does seem that MB made a wrong call by producing 90% on sport model. One of my friends who drove my car a few times went to 3 dealerships trying to get a Luxury model and had to settle with A4 after failing to do so. There was also one time in an outing that my car parked next to a C350. A common friend who didn't know much about MB pointed to the C350 and asked, "Is this a cheaper version of MB?". It was hilarious!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Originally Posted by kev10
I am with you, although I am in my 40s. I tried different versions of MBs and a few other brands before deciding on C300 Luxury model. I love the car! The elegant look and the comfortable ride are what I think MB is about.

I also see Sportstick's point. It does seem that MB made a wrong call by producing 90% on sport model. One of my friends who drove my car a few times went to 3 dealerships trying to get a Luxury model and had to settle with A4 after failing to do so. There was also one time in an outing that my car parked next to a C350. A common friend who didn't know much about MB pointed to the C350 and asked, "Is this a cheaper version of MB?". It was hilarious!
I also wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of people who bought and own a C300/C350 sport even know that 2 models are available. If there is one thing the C Class has done is make an MB product affordable to the masses and I think for a good chunk of people who own them just want it for the badge and all the supposed bragging rights and elegance the name suggests. The W204 has been an absolute hit though, I see tons everyday and I don't quite recollect seeing that many W203s like 7 or 8 years ago on the road.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
I also wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of people who bought and own a C300/C350 sport even know that 2 models are available. If there is one thing the C Class has done is make an MB product affordable to the masses and I think for a good chunk of people who own them just want it for the badge and all the supposed bragging rights and elegance the name suggests. The W204 has been an absolute hit though, I see tons everyday and I don't quite recollect seeing that many W203s like 7 or 8 years ago on the road.
Agree on the popularity. It is also a common sense that brand and elegance will always play a weight on people's choice.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:40 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
You make a very good point. With the W204 being so popular, it makes me even more happy that I choose the Luxury model. I, like you, see the Sport models all over, but I've only seen a few Luxury models here and there other than my own. It's kind of become a game when I spot one from the rear to guess which model it is ^.^
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM

2013 C250 Sport P1
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Some Sport buyers of both C and E Class have expressed disappointment about ride quality, and to some degree, design cues.

When my wife and I met, I had a '88 Saab 900 w/SPG suspension. It was a lot firmer than her whirlpool, I mean Camry, but didn't get too many complaints.

I bought a Sport because frankly I really don't care for the looks of the Luxury.

On some of California's less than smooth roads, my C250 Sport can cause her to unleash a torrent of obscenities. 18" AMG wheels and OEM Conti ProContacts don't help. Fingers crossed that ExtremeContact DWS can take enough of the edge off so that the frequency of said torrents is decreased :P
Old 08-25-2014, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
When my wife and I met, I had a '88 Saab 900 w/SPG suspension. It was a lot firmer than her whirlpool, I mean Camry, but didn't get too many complaints.

I bought a Sport because frankly I really don't care for the looks of the Luxury.

On some of California's less than smooth roads, my C250 Sport can cause her to unleash a torrent of obscenities. 18" AMG wheels and OEM Conti ProContacts don't help. Fingers crossed that ExtremeContact DWS can take enough of the edge off so that the frequency of said torrents is decreased :P
Suggest you look at new Michelin AS3 instead and get Powerwheels Pro design of your preference in 17". For what you can sell your 18s for, you should be in good financial shape at the end of this deal. That one inch will make quite a difference toward calming her down! And just about no one will be taking a micrometer to measure the difference in your wheel diameter!

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-25-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
To add an Australian perspective to the conversation:

The only difference between sport and luxury here is the body kit, steering wheel and base trim level. For example, my 2010 C200cgi is a luxury but it came factory with the big star grill, hood ornament delete and staggered rims. Pretty much everything here is optional choice so you get a lot of variation form car to car. You can almost tell a dealer's ex-demo car by sight, simply because it's the only one on the road with absolutely all standard options.

'luxury' is called Classic over here and equates more to the 'poverty pack' or base model trim package. Avantgarde is our 'sport' package which typically has larger, AMG inspired rims and bit sof aluminium and carbon fibre. Then we have the Elegance which is the same body kit as the Classic but with chrome all over it and an interior finished in polished wood inserts and more chrome all over.

Personally, I wish mine had the sport body kit, but that is because it is aggressive and I like that image of the C63 that it mirrors. If C63s weren't as dear as poison down here, I would have one in a heart beat. I equally like the luxury image presented in an E or S class but, at prices over au$200k, that just isn't happening for me any time soon.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 PM

W204 MY10 C200CGI
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
Fingers crossed that ExtremeContact DWS can take enough of the edge off so that the frequency of said torrents is decreased :P
She gets to ride around in a beautiful Mercedes! Go buy her a Japanese sports car and she will realise how good she has it