C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

how do you argue with a dealer that says MB recommends NOT to drain the TQ converter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
how do you argue with a dealer that says MB recommends NOT to drain the TQ converter

My car is in for the trans service and I told them to make sure the drained and filled the converter as well. They called back and says MB says NOT to. I said how could they recommend to leave 30% of the old fluid in there. No comment other than that's what MB says.

Car in question is a 2010 C300. So I read the WIS was updated to make sure the converter was drained. How do I get a copy of that?

Need help ASAP.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C200 CGI
You do a search in the forum, I'm pretty sure it was posted a while back. Find it, print it, bring it to your dealer.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:15 AM

2010 C300
I was looking for a specific reference to the WIS. I have the detail document that is in the trans service thread where it references draining the converter. that should be good enough I'd think. I sent it to the SA. I also asked for the statement in writing from MBNA that states not to drain the converter.

Frankly I do not trust these guys at all. I kick myself now for not going to an independent. The price difference wasn't much between the indy and the dealer so I opted for the dealer. Lesson learned I think.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 AM

2010 C300
the SA just called me back after sending me the 'official MB required service" for my car. On his own sheet it references the 2702w trans WIS document. I sent him my copy of that document where it clearly states to drain the converter. So he's stumbling all over himself right now and supposedly will have the service manager call me back.

I am going to lay into this clown for them lying to me and trying to short change customers on what they are paying for. This will be interesting.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM

2010 C300
Just got done talking to the Service Manager. He first starts off saying he's been in MB service for 15 years. He proceeded to tell me that they never change the converters on cars, said MB used to not do that. I said yea on the older 6 speeds but that was many years ago. He agreed. He acknowledged that the 7 speed should be done. He said they would do it but since it would need 11qts of fluid he'd be losing money. I told him that if he puts 11 qts in there would be a problem since the trans should only hold around 9.7. He backed off on that as well. Told me he would honor the price given, gee thanks.

Then he had the nerve to try and upsell me a set of rear tires. Car has 19k on it but is 4 years old. Tires are getting towards the wear bars but don't need changing yet. He tried but I told him I'd get it done myself when they are ready.

Never going back there. I hope there's a spot where I can leave feedback on their website. I'll be factual and leave the emotion out of it but they did **** me off today.

I have to really say thanks to this site. Information is a powerful tool. And this site has that in spades.

I'd guess that 99% of the MB honors just drop off and pick up and write a check. Completely oblivious as to what they should actually be getting for the $$$.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Been there and this forum helped a lot in getting the info to slap on the dealer's face. I bet 99% of the w204 owners that has a TC drain plug doesn't know this information and the service centres are making a good profit in that work cutting.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 PM

2012 C250
This is a great little thread. OP, thanks for posting the time line here. It's nice to see how it really works when they pass you off to the next guy up the food chain. Goes to show, arm yourself with the correct information, and stick to your guns.

The tire upsell is laughable by the way.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350 Sport
crap, I should have had more info about this back then. Last time I went to battle with them on this they brushed me off with some bull***** "it is not necessary, not required by maintenance".
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Mind posting a link to the official documents you used?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 PM

2010 C300
Originally Posted by wsboxer1
Mind posting a link to the official documents you used?

the pdf's in the DIY trans service thread sticky. The title is the actual WIS document that this dealer actually referenced to me on what I need to do so it was perfect to throw that right back at them.

Even better was that when I went to pick up the car, they tried to charge me an extra $150 for the TC fluid change!!! I said WTF... no way. you honor your original quote to me as it's part of the standard service for this model transmission. My receipt shows 11 qts of fluid....ha ha bull****. does not show a TC drain plug which I thought was actually supposed to be replaced.

I honestly question if they actually did it. I think I'll jack the car up this weekend and take a look. If I don't see that rubber plug disturbed or evidence that the TC plug has been removed heaven help them.

They came up to me when I was paying and asked what I did for a living. And how did I know so much about my car. How did I reset my service indicator etc. etc. etc. I guess they've never had anyone question them before.

I really think MBUSA needs to know about these questionable practices at these dealerships. I also think the owner of this dealership needs to know. which is AutoNation so lots of good that would do. But this kind of fraud is unacceptable. And that's what it is, fraud. If you pay for the service that MB recommends so that you should have no issues in case of a warranty claim then they do not perform the service recommended, it's just plain fraud.

I just know I'll never go back there, heaven help me if I do need warranty work. I was so pissed I forgot to ask them about the taillight recall. They would probably charge me for that too.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Dealer service sucks. My dealer doesn't even have the 271 engine in their database, so when I got my A service done the paperwork said they a 272 service with obviously too much oil. They didn't even understand why I was concerned (did you really OVER FILL my car like this invoice says?)