C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Thoughts on these lights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Thoughts on these lights?

I already took off the blue LED strip off of my front bumper because too many people thought it was tacky. What do you guys think? Did i make the right decision?
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on these lights?-img_4218.jpg   Thoughts on these lights?-img_4216.jpg  
Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Where do you live? USA?
I'm not sure if it's federal or state law...but general consensus is you are limited to 4 forward facing light outputs.

Eyebrows, halos or LED strips built into the original headlight housing may already be pushing the boundaries. Your setup however is CLEARLY a fixit ticket waiting to happen.

My vote is to keep it since you already done the work and it satisfies YOU. However don't be surprised if a CHP officer uses this against you as probable cause to pull you over. Assuming everything else is kosher (aka...you have a front plate...no tinted windows...exhaust is not loud...you werent on the phone when getting pulled over...etc) it'll only be a $25 ticket and you can remove it then.

Also...purely as an exercise (please do not take offense)...without knowing anything about you, the passengers, or present driver...

If I saw this car in public...I would automatically assume it belonged to a young asian male. Probably early 20s living with parents.
Associated mod lists might include anything with the words "plasti dip", ultra bright exterior LEDs (example: on the rear license plate frame maybe), and possibly graphics...and the car most likely were acquired used (possibly even a 3rd owner).

Sure it looks cool...but the above statement is what I'll be thinking in the back of my head as I continue to profile the vehicle. (heck...I'm thinking of possibly getting a "Student Driver" sticker for my rear window as I type this. On my way home today I noticed a car with this and NOONE was tailgating him, but I digress)

HOWEVER...as members always preach here....do what YOU like. I've gone through similar phases and it would be a shame to not do something you wanted to do simply because you were peer pressured the other way. If it's tacky...you'll figure it out eventually.

Last edited by edgalang; 08-07-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by edgalang
Where do you live? USA?
I'm not sure if it's federal or state law...but general consensus is you are limited to 4 forward facing light outputs.

Eyebrows, halos or LED strips built into the original headlight housing may already be pushing the boundaries. Your setup however is CLEARLY a fixit ticket waiting to happen.

My vote is to keep it since you already done the work and it satisfies YOU. However don't be surprised if a CHP officer uses this against you as probable cause to pull you over. Assuming everything else is kosher (aka...you have a front plate...no tinted windows...exhaust is not loud...you werent on the phone when getting pulled over...etc) it'll only be a $25 ticket and you can remove it then.

Also...purely as an exercise (please do not take offense)...without knowing anything about you, the passengers, or present driver...

If I saw this car in public...I would automatically assume it belonged to a young asian male. Probably early 20s living with parents.
Associated mod lists might include anything with the words "plasti dip", ultra bright exterior LEDs (example: on the rear license plate frame maybe), and possibly graphics...and the car most likely were acquired used (possibly even a 3rd owner).

Sure it looks cool...but the above statement is what I'll be thinking in the back of my head as I continue to profile the vehicle. (heck...I'm thinking of possibly getting a "Student Driver" sticker for my rear window as I type this. On my way home today I noticed a car with this and NOONE was tailgating him, but I digress)

HOWEVER...as members always preach here....do what YOU like. I've gone through similar phases and it would be a shame to not do something you wanted to do simply because you were peer pressured the other way. If it's tacky...you'll figure it out eventually.
Lol your response was funny. I live in NJ and i had them on for like 4 months and drove everywhere infront of cops and never got pulled over. And i have tints. But anyway i took them off because i started to think they were getting kind of tacky. I still want to keep the class in the benz.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Btw im not asian lol
Old 08-07-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic Sport
That mod doesn't belong on a Benz IMO.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 AM

2009 Mercedes C350
I am not sure what we are supposed to be giving our opinion on. If the focus of the thread wasnt the ugly LED strip in the grille, then what? All I see is some overpowering headlight bulbs. Im assuming HIDs?. Cant really focus on the headlights themselves as you say you wanted our thoughts on. Are you referring to the fact you put a drop in HID kit in a halogen headlight housing?

Originally Posted by c350benz9
But anyway i took them off because i started to think they were getting kind of tacky.
They didn't get kind of tacky, they were tacky from day one

Last edited by ||||||||||; 08-07-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Why do you always need extra lights?
Maybe for extra attention? Which is stupid.
Looks tacky, I think you should stop wasting money.
This is my opinion, I didn't read anything else in this thread but first post.

Last edited by w204_Generic; 08-07-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Sport and 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
Removal was a smart decision IMHO.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by c350benz9
Lol your response was funny. I live in NJ and i had them on for like 4 months and drove everywhere infront of cops and never got pulled over. And i have tints. But anyway i took them off because i started to think they were getting kind of tacky. I still want to keep the class in the benz.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Btw im not asian lol
Just giving my thoughts as requested. I can only guestimate what the CHP might do here in the Bay Area, (California), since I have no experience with east coast highway patrol.

If you drove like that during daylight, fine...however if you had the center strip on at night with the lows and fogs, then that's when it'll get dicey.

Other than the "asian" bit...how is the rest of the assessment? Did I profile the rest of the car correctly?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 corvette stingray. 2013 C250 Sport. 04 Volvo XC90
IMHO, perfect car to pull up to the next Transformers premier in.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by edgalang
Just giving my thoughts as requested. I can only guestimate what the CHP might do here in the Bay Area, (California), since I have no experience with east coast highway patrol.

If you drove like that during daylight, fine...however if you had the center strip on at night with the lows and fogs, then that's when it'll get dicey.

Other than the "asian" bit...how is the rest of the assessment? Did I profile the rest of the car correctly?
I'm Asian and I don't have those
Old 08-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by xjaymzzx
I'm Asian and I don't have those

It's ok. So am I and I don't have those either. I was simply sharing my perception.

My previous ride, whenever I ask someone to profile the car EVERYONE thought it belonged to a drug dealer, and I was ok with that.

Point I was making was, people will ALWAYS profile. The info you are after is the commonality of that data set, so from there you can properly decide if that is an acceptable image you are portraying to the general public.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:17 AM

Mercedes
I appreciate all the thoughts. I definitely think i made the right decision by taking them off. Its a bad image that does not belong on a benz like you guys said