C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Power Steering, ABS, EBD, EPS, Run flat indicator, malfunction at same time

Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250 CGI

Hi, all.

C250 CGI 2010, (Malaysia) W204
5 speed Turbo

I had 3 fault messages yesterday night. Quickly dig into internet, the internet fellows say that this probably because the "Steering Angle Sensor" is bad. I found this quite make sense because since it cannot detect the steering wheel angle, it cannot give information to ABS EBD EPS and etc to correct any mistake (of course ABS too). Just wonder why it disable my power steering and also run flat indicator? I am quite sure that the power steering is working fine since everytime i start my car, I still have my power steering.

The message comes out all together when i reach 18km/h (we use KM/h here )

I text a friend who works in MB authorized workshop. He said that this might because of the wheel speed sensor, too. of course he recommend me to read the fault code before proceeding to change any parts. I guess this make more sense to the malfunction of "Run Flat Indicator", the good point is the wheel speed sensor is cheaper, on bad point, it has 4 (or more because i wonder did my friend said that this also include gear speed sensor even differential speed sensor) so if one go out, might indicate the other 3 will go out not far in future.

I search the internet and found there is no thread or record indicate 3 fault messages at the same time. Hope this helps.

Anyone who has any idea can also please post it here. Thanks.

Last edited by metalgear84; 08-20-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo on title.
The following users liked this post:
aakashbhowmick (01-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 AM

C250 CGI
Update.

Just got the mechanic call, the fault is because the wire at the middle console (near gear level) broken/disconnected. After repair it, the power steering run back online. But the ESP light still on, mechanics said that this need to reset the fault history (or something similar).

The cause of the fault is due to i repair (myself) the center push button (that knob that control the radio, not scrolling). I open up the console, when i put back, i accidently clipped the wire and it goes on stress, broken few days after i repair my center push button.

Hope the short circuit doesn't affect main board (which rumour to cost about 2300 USD).

Last edited by metalgear84; 08-22-2014 at 02:11 AM.
aakashbhowmick (01-22-2022)
Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C180

Hi Metalgear84,

I have this same problem recently on my Mercedes c180. May I know had you fixed your problem? Could you please share with me what did you change / repair on your car to resolve the problem?

Your assistance & prompt response will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Ben Soh
Sohhockbeng@gmail.com
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 AM

C250 CGI
Originally Posted by Bensoh
Hi Metalgear84,

I have this same problem recently on my Mercedes c180. May I know had you fixed your problem? Could you please share with me what did you change / repair on your car to resolve the problem?

Your assistance & prompt response will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Ben Soh
Sohhockbeng@gmail.com
Hi, eventually i just reconnect the cable and reset the computer. What i want to say further than this is i hit the exactly same errors 2 months back, i first thought the cable is once loose again but end up in different story. It was the hydraulic pump (For brake) had jammed/clogged/damage/malfunction. This cost USD3500 to repair from Mercedes Benz. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM

W204 C200 CGI
Hi,
I have the same exact issue.
May i know what did you change to fix the issue?

Thanks a lot

Regards
Im from Malaysia too..

Originally Posted by metalgear84
Hi, all.

C250 CGI 2010, (Malaysia) W204
5 speed Turbo

I had 3 fault messages yesterday night. Quickly dig into internet, the internet fellows say that this probably because the "Steering Angle Sensor" is bad. I found this quite make sense because since it cannot detect the steering wheel angle, it cannot give information to ABS EBD EPS and etc to correct any mistake (of course ABS too). Just wonder why it disable my power steering and also run flat indicator? I am quite sure that the power steering is working fine since everytime i start my car, I still have my power steering.

The message comes out all together when i reach 18km/h (we use KM/h here )

I text a friend who works in MB authorized workshop. He said that this might because of the wheel speed sensor, too. of course he recommend me to read the fault code before proceeding to change any parts. I guess this make more sense to the malfunction of "Run Flat Indicator", the good point is the wheel speed sensor is cheaper, on bad point, it has 4 (or more because i wonder did my friend said that this also include gear speed sensor even differential speed sensor) so if one go out, might indicate the other 3 will go out not far in future.

I search the internet and found there is no thread or record indicate 3 fault messages at the same time. Hope this helps.

Anyone who has any idea can also please post it here. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes w204 c220
Hi there guys I had exactly the same problem a few days ago I started the car in morning on a cold start and started driving immediately and about 5 mins later the abs light came on following with ebd esp tyre pressure inoperative and finally steering wheel malfunction light and then the power steering went really heavy no power assist. So I turned car off and waited a while hoping it will go away but exactly same as before driving for around 2 mjns and all lights came on again followed by same problems so I got home n decided to disconnect battery overnight hoping to do a hard reset but in the morning no luck exactly same problem! Btw I have a new battery fitted recently so I knew it was nothing to do with that as some people have mentioned on here anyway I took to one garage and the guy said probably alternator but I didn't think it was that btw my car is only done 38k so all these big things wasn't making sense anyway he put the diagnosis machine on and said couldn't find codes as when the car was off codes went away for some weird f***n reason! ! Anyway he said he cleared some codes n it was working ok soon ss I left garage it call came back! ! So I weng to another garage and he said exactly same thing saying he cant find any codes so I said il start the car take for spin when lights come on then will put diagnosis (problems don't occur stationery only after driving for a min or two) soo... this is the interesting part as this guys garage was a dead end and I couldn't do a 3 point turn I had to reverse the car a good 60 70 yards and turning steering left right to avoid other cars I was expect the lights to come on any sec but they didn't? !! So I drove out waiting for lights to come on but nothing thd problem jys vanished jus like that thank god!! And since been two days no problem jys wanted to day I think by reversing I might have fixed some speed sensor or abs which was causing everything so give it a try in a car park at night guys might jus work u never know I jus wanted to share this cz I know how frustrating I was thinking the worst do post back if anyone try this method so maybe we can help someone in position maybe luck or maybe method good look guys
The following 2 users liked this post by A khan:
aakashbhowmick (01-22-2022), Candii (06-01-2022)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM

2009 mercedes Benz cgi
Sensors going off but no damage

i sprayed the amorall tyre cleaner and some of it got onto the sensor and the car was driving normal before. When I took the car to drive two days after the sensors came up the steering is not slightly stuffer and only when crossing 25km/hr then it comes up. I tried washing it out from the outside cause I didn’t want to open it and cause any damages. Anyone here think if I open it out and then clean it and reset the car that it would come off?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 4Matic with Keyless Go
I too have the same messages but car doesn't start. The car was sitting on the driveway for a few days and after I started it, the messages started to pop.First was SRS malfunction, then ESP and ABS then run flat indicator. Turned the car off after a few minutes and tried starting again - no start, just warning messages.

Will take to my mechanic and post back.
meazz1 (10-31-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by japok_den
I too have the same messages but car doesn't start. The car was sitting on the driveway for a few days and after I started it, the messages started to pop.First was SRS malfunction, then ESP and ABS then run flat indicator. Turned the car off after a few minutes and tried starting again - no start, just warning messages.

Will take to my mechanic and post back.
Battery was changed and the problem went away for a couple of days. When the messages re-emerged, even more warning lights were on. Spoke to the mechanic and they cannot replicate problem. They are keeping the car a few more days to check. I have lost confidence on the car and thinking of trading it in.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Just an update - garage cannot replicate the error messages and have scanned the car several times and found nothing. Garage says its not the SAM. What could it be? Please help.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:23 PM

cclass w204
Originally Posted by japok_den
Just an update - garage cannot replicate the error messages and have scanned the car several times and found nothing. Garage says its not the SAM. What could it be? Please help.

did find a fix? Thank you
Old 07-31-2020, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
I have the same issue now but car drives fine. It goes away if I do the steering reset before I start the engine. Meaning engine off but key is in the ON position while turning steering left and right). But I have to do this every time. Not sure what it could be.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:00 AM

S15
Absolute bloody legend!

Originally Posted by A khan
Hi there guys I had exactly the same problem a few days ago I started the car in morning on a cold start and started driving immediately and about 5 mins later the abs light came on following with ebd esp tyre pressure inoperative and finally steering wheel malfunction light and then the power steering went really heavy no power assist. So I turned car off and waited a while hoping it will go away but exactly same as before driving for around 2 mjns and all lights came on again followed by same problems so I got home n decided to disconnect battery overnight hoping to do a hard reset but in the morning no luck exactly same problem! Btw I have a new battery fitted recently so I knew it was nothing to do with that as some people have mentioned on here anyway I took to one garage and the guy said probably alternator but I didn't think it was that btw my car is only done 38k so all these big things wasn't making sense anyway he put the diagnosis machine on and said couldn't find codes as when the car was off codes went away for some weird f***n reason! ! Anyway he said he cleared some codes n it was working ok soon ss I left garage it call came back! ! So I weng to another garage and he said exactly same thing saying he cant find any codes so I said il start the car take for spin when lights come on then will put diagnosis (problems don't occur stationery only after driving for a min or two) soo... this is the interesting part as this guys garage was a dead end and I couldn't do a 3 point turn I had to reverse the car a good 60 70 yards and turning steering left right to avoid other cars I was expect the lights to come on any sec but they didn't? !! So I drove out waiting for lights to come on but nothing thd problem jys vanished jus like that thank god!! And since been two days no problem jys wanted to day I think by reversing I might have fixed some speed sensor or abs which was causing everything so give it a try in a car park at night guys might jus work u never know I jus wanted to share this cz I know how frustrating I was thinking the worst do post back if anyone try this method so maybe we can help someone in position maybe luck or maybe method good look guys
Been trying to troubleshoot my friends merc and stumbled across your post, the reversing trick worked! 😂 😂 He has an important event to get to and you just saved his a$$! Thank you kind sir, 1 million good karma points for you! I know it's been 6 years since you posted and you may not see this but I literally just signed up to this forum to thank you! 😂 bless your cotton socks! 🙏
gavd (11-02-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 03:48 PM

C220 CDI Blueefficency
the same error. ABS and Falt indicator

Hi. I had the same.
The temperature parameters seem high....
(PT language only, sorry) The voltage value seems odd... Or is it normal?

Last edited by Paul Almeida; 08-15-2022 at 03:50 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 11-02-2022, 04:34 AM

c250
Originally Posted by Candii
Been trying to troubleshoot my friends merc and stumbled across your post, the reversing trick worked! 😂 😂 He has an important event to get to and you just saved his a$$! Thank you kind sir, 1 million good karma points for you! I know it's been 6 years since you posted and you may not see this but I literally just signed up to this forum to thank you! 😂 bless your cotton socks! 🙏
I have just had the same messages so after a quick google I found this thread.. saw the above post and thought how on earth is that going to work…. After 2 or 3 restarts and checking everything (all fine but still getting the messages after a couple of metres driving forward) I tried the reversing and steering as posted and low and behold all messages gone and car running fine again tyvm sir! Very bizarre but hey it worked 😂 for now 🤞
Old 01-18-2023, 05:53 AM

C180 compressor 2008 w204
IT WORKED

Originally Posted by Candii
Thank you so much for this tip , my merc came up with the same error messages , and reversing for a few meters fixed the error codes for now 😀
Old 08-27-2023, 03:27 AM

Merc c class 2010 2.1lt diesel
Angry Multiple faults showing

I just fitted a second hand alternator, all good till I went on a road test then warnings came on eps abs power steering & run flat indicator. I don’t have a fault reader and have no ideas. Please help
Old 01-13-2024, 08:10 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde
Dear A Khan,
I am facing the same issue with my W204 , 2009 C 220 CDI. I have gone to the MB showroom and came with the suggestion that probably I will have to replace the ABS module with full assembly and Hydraulics. Could you kindly let me know if this fault ever came back and what solution was there to fix this problem. I have not tried driving in reverse as u mentioned in your post.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:56 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde
Dear Sudir,
Did this error or issue ever come back? If so what solution you got. My car also has the same problem.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:23 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde
Dear Candy,
I would like to know if this reversing trick is a permanent fix, as of now it has worked for me. I just want to know if the error will come back and if so what is the solution,
Old 01-17-2024, 02:03 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde

I drive a W204 2009 C220 CDI with around 90,000 Kms or approximately 55,000 miles. On a particular day, I embarked on a 180 Km journey to my wife's house, a total of 110 miles, and had to make the return trip within the same day. Considering the lengthy travel and challenging road conditions, I adopted an aggressive driving style, with rapid accelerations and frequent braking to cover the 4 to 5 hours it takes to return home.

As I approached my house with just 4 Kms remaining, my car displayed multiple warnings: Run flat indicator inoperative, Power steering malfunction, and EBD, ABS, ESP inoperative. The power steering failure made turning the vehicle difficult. Somehow, I managed to bring the car home, parked it, turned it off, and, after a few minutes of rest, turned it back on. To my relief, all the warnings disappeared, and everything seemed normal. I initially thought it was just a glitch.

Later that day, I needed to meet a friend, so I turned on the vehicle and, after covering about 1 Km, the glitch returned. Turning the car off and on made the glitch disappear, but it resurfaced 5 minutes later. Knowing the challenges of driving with a malfunctioning power steering, I opted to leave the vehicle at home.

I took a cab to my friend's place and returned home the next day. The glitch recurred after a short drive of five minutes. Concerned, I contacted my MB dealership and informed them of the issue. Despite the difficulty in driving the vehicle, I chose to drive it to the dealership instead of opting for recovery.

Upon reaching the dealership, they indicated a need for a thorough inspection, which would take 2 to 3 days. The subsequent update revealed bad news—the Hydraulic Unit had failed, a major fault requiring a $3030 USD part replacement and labor charges (PART NO: A 204 4315 51264). With the part not in stock, the estimated fix time was one week.

Meanwhile, an email from the dealership, received a couple of months back, informed me that my car's VIN number was on a global list for a free replacement of the Airbag unit. I asked them to prepare my car for this cost-free job. Exploring alternatives, I checked for scrap hydraulic units, priced around $330 USD, contemplating whether to use a local garage due to high dealership costs.

Despite my inquiries about the fix's assurance after replacement, the dealership hesitated to guarantee a 100% solution. They performed a thorough inspection, including the fuse box and wiring kit, and mentioned having test units in other dealerships, requiring additional time for the inspection. After two weeks, they concluded that the fault persisted, suggesting the need to change the entire EPS unit, incurring additional costs.

Frustrated, I considered not proceeding with the repairs and opting for a new car. Turning to online solutions, YouTube suggested replacements or cleaning, contrasting with the dealership's unsuccessful attempts to clean the stuck hydraulic unit. Suspecting heat or movement as the cause of the issue, I searched for scrap parts for the fix and decided to approach a local garage.

Nearly a month passed without a vehicle, and I resigned myself to the idea of a total failure in the fix, deeming it impractical to spend so much on a 15-year-old vehicle. Disheartened, I collected the car after the airbag repair, leaving it in my porch with no plans or hope.

Late that night, an online search brought me to an article where Mr. A Khan suggested an unconventional fix—drive the car in reverse. This insanely stupid fix resolved the car as Mr. Candii, Me. Gavd and Me. Sudir inspired me to do the car revising fix as there was not cost involved to drive the car in reverse.

Despite initial skepticism, I tried it, and to my surprise, the error disappeared. Over the past four days, covering 30 to 50 Kms, the glitch has not resurfaced.

Thank you, Mr. A Khan, for this unexpected yet effective solution that saved my car from being deemed irreparable. I am immensely grateful, although unsure of its permanence, given Mr. A Khan's last post in 2016. If anyone has more insights or experiences similar to Candii, Gavd, or Mr. Sudir, please share your findings regarding the recurrence of the error or alternative fixes.

A heartfelt thank you to MB World ORG and Mr. A Khan for being instrumental in resolving this perplexing issue.

Saved my life,

Bibble