C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle

i have a tick/rattle here (circled in pink) that comes up whilst on certain types of roads

in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle-489829_x800_zps14161c45.jpg

if i press on that corner slightly, it stops until i lift my finger!

my first real attempt at fixing it was per a recommendation from a member here named Albert, who has become rather adept at fixing these things. i used slow setting super glue in strategic spots (again, pink circles)

top*
in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle-top_zpsf8eb7b3f.jpg

bottom
in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle-bottom_zps6d0f6baa.jpg

side
in hot pursuit of an annoying rattle-img_1830_zps125a5565.jpg

*regarding the red arrow in the first pic, make sure to not glue any of those little round holes on either the top or the bottom - those are your vertical vent slats!

ANYWAY, this hasn't worked completely. in fact, i think it's just chance that the ticking is reduced a bit, since the whole thing was removed and replaced, probably shifting things enough to cause a slight change overall.

so, now i'm trying to figure out what else to do. foam tape and the like is probably the next move, but it's hard to figure out where to put that since there are no edges that seem like they will be friendly with that treatment.

hmm.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I just recently got rid of all of the rattle on my car. It took me a total of around 8 months trying to figure out every single rattle and after the x amount of fixes it is nice a quiet like a brand new car. What I found out is that sometimes even though you are touching what you expect is the culprit it is not really the culprit. A good isolator is a sticker felt paper that you can buy from a art store. Buy a ton of that with various thickness and it cost $.35 or less a piece. Try lining up the entire portion of the back side and see if that will solve your problem. Sometimes screws are loose as well so while the vent is out tighten the two screws that holds the command unit.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
w212 E350 Bluetec & Mk7 GTI Sport
I am very interested in your quest for the noises from the dashboard; I hear them too from everything from the sunvisors, to the plastic molding around the instrument cluster, and all the way to the door itself; the door has weird rattles in it too...

I was wondering the best way to go about this as well. Searching for the noises requires pulling off panels, which likely will make it sound worse, especially if you dont know what youre doing. (me)
Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
i tried everything to no avail...so i just ended up buying a new center vent assembly. i was a bit concerned about getting the switches out but they were simple.

it cost me about $95 all said and done but at least the rattle seems to be gone. this new piece seems to be a lot more solid with its fit in the dash. dunno. i'm crazy, but at least the rattle won't be the thing making me crazy anymore.

Last edited by builthatch; 09-25-2014 at 12:01 AM.