C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Fuel gauge dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel gauge dead

Last night as I was driving my fuel gauge needle went dead on me and dropped all the way to empty. When I use the steering controls to go check how many miles were left on the tank it just displays --. I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor and tried to do a search but didn't find much so I'm looking for some info on what this would be and how I can fix it.

BTW 2008 C350

Thanks!

Last edited by menappi; 10-18-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot to add my car model
Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 W204
Originally Posted by menappi
Last night as I was driving my fuel gauge needle went dead on me and dropped all the way to empty. When I use the steering controls to go check how many miles were left on the tank it just displays --. I'm guessing it's some sort of sensor and tried to do a search but didn't find much so I'm looking for some info on what this would be and how I can fix it.

BTW 2008 C350

Thanks!
Has it improved since restarting the car?? When the needle dropped and no display of mileage, did your "re-fuel" sign turn on?? Also no error messages from the car as well?
Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gashde
Has it improved since restarting the car?? When the needle dropped and no display of mileage, did your "re-fuel" sign turn on?? Also no error messages from the car as well?
Restarting the car hasn't done anything. I added a few gallons of gas also and still nothing. The 'low fuel' light on the cluster isn't lit up either. Haven't seen any errors on my car or check engine type lights...everything seems normal except the gauge is dead and the display indicates "--" till refill. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 AM

Ok so I was doing a little bit of reading and saw that Techron was approved by benz so I needed some gas (from my calculations) and I sought out a Chevron and put half a tank in. Gauge still remained dead but after about 20 minutes of highway driving the thing came back to life!! I think I'm going to stick with Chevron from now on.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 W204
Originally Posted by menappi
Ok so I was doing a little bit of reading and saw that Techron was approved by benz so I needed some gas (from my calculations) and I sought out a Chevron and put half a tank in. Gauge still remained dead but after about 20 minutes of highway driving the thing came back to life!! I think I'm going to stick with Chevron from now on.
Thats good news.

From what I've been reading is that the fuel sensor being coated from the unleaded fuel causing the issue.

You could either replace that, or clean the sensor with sponge.

From the W203 cars, some people had just fueled the car to full and gave it a few drives and it went back normal.

Hope your ride is all good from now on.