C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

All Season Tires for NY and other related questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
All Season Tires for NY and other related questions

Been searching both the forums and tire rack and other tire review sites. Currently running the OEM 17" Contiprocontact which are manageable but not impressive. I hate to start yet another all season tire thread but I can't find real world reviews on specifics tires on our C300's. Mine is a 2013 sport and I'm looking at the hankook ventus noble s2 and continental DWS (which I had on my previous Acura).

Problem is people keep saying mixed reviews about everything and its more confusing than informative. One person said the OEM contis did great in the snow. Really? Others said certain tires don't play well with the chassis of our benz. Which I don't know why. I'm not looking for high performance because I drive with my family and little son most of the time so I'm pretty conservative and cautious, but I'm looking for all seasons that can do well in the snow. Yeah, dedicated snow tires aren't really an option right now so I need to find a set of tires that have a good balance for all seasons. I don't expect winter performance from all seasons but I need something that pairs well with the 4matic and can safely handle the snow. I'm leaning towards the DWS due to past experience and people I personally know use them on their subarus with AWD but the hankooks look promising especially price wise. Thank you all!!!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by JamesY
Been searching both the forums and tire rack and other tire review sites. Currently running the OEM 17" Contiprocontact which are manageable but not impressive. I hate to start yet another all season tire thread but I can't find real world reviews on specifics tires on our C300's. Mine is a 2013 sport and I'm looking at the hankook ventus noble s2 and continental DWS (which I had on my previous Acura).

Problem is people keep saying mixed reviews about everything and its more confusing than informative. One person said the OEM contis did great in the snow. Really? Others said certain tires don't play well with the chassis of our benz. Which I don't know why. I'm not looking for high performance because I drive with my family and little son most of the time so I'm pretty conservative and cautious, but I'm looking for all seasons that can do well in the snow. Yeah, dedicated snow tires aren't really an option right now so I need to find a set of tires that have a good balance for all seasons. I don't expect winter performance from all seasons but I need something that pairs well with the 4matic and can safely handle the snow. I'm leaning towards the DWS due to past experience and people I personally know use them on their subarus with AWD but the hankooks look promising especially price wise. Thank you all!!!
if you don't want winter tires nor are interested in performance than DWS i think is your best option since they provide according to many reviews, the best snow performance of all season tires out there
Old 10-24-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Safety is a relative term. There is no bright line to distinguish "safe" products from "unsafe" products. This is risk management. With that idea, there are no all season tires which provide the safety of braking and turning when the need quickly arises as do dedicated winter tires. So, this is a conscious decision to take on more risk for you and your passengers....your choice. I'm personally not sure how one reconciles carrying their child with known sub-optimal tires, but if for whatever reason that is your plan, Conti DWS are the best of the mediocre for your purpose....using all season tires in the winter. They are measurably superior to the ProContacts, but also inferior to Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice xi3, two of the best studless winter tires.

Just in case, you are aware that if you order the dedicated winter tires from tirerack.com, several of their regional/approved installers will store your off-season wheel/tire sets, so all you do is twice a year have a 20 lug nut "pit stop"?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
I ran DWS on a 128i, the tire was quiet and handled fine. Actual traction in snow with rwd was just barely acceptable. With AWD should be fine. I had an A4 AWD with All Seasons and was okay running on top of snow and thru an inch or two.

Best solution is winter tires with inexpensive wheels from Tire Rack. You may also find used OEM wheels on eBay but then you need to buy staggered wheels.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by ralawren
With AWD should be fine. I had an A4 AWD with All Seasons and was okay running on top of snow and thru an inch or two.
Glad it worked out for you, as it can for many. Certainly, if you are the only car around, the risks are quite low and the car will move. But, if you happen to find yourself in that scenario where you need to swerve or suddenly brake on snow to avoid impact (of course, when the "other guy" does something wrong), the relative shortcomings of any all season tires become apparent, and AWD is of no value.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Safety is a relative term. There is no bright line to distinguish "safe" products from "unsafe" products. This is risk management. With that idea, there are no all season tires which provide the safety of braking and turning when the need quickly arises as do dedicated winter tires. So, this is a conscious decision to take on more risk for you and your passengers....your choice. I'm personally not sure how one reconciles carrying their child with known sub-optimal tires, but if for whatever reason that is your plan, Conti DWS are the best of the mediocre for your purpose....using all season tires in the winter. They are measurably superior to the ProContacts, but also inferior to Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-Ice xi3, two of the best studless winter tires.

Just in case, you are aware that if you order the dedicated winter tires from tirerack.com, several of their regional/approved installers will store your off-season wheel/tire sets, so all you do is twice a year have a 20 lug nut "pit stop"?
Thank you for that thorough reply. yeah, right now the issue is financial, but with the upcoming winter, I need good all seasons to get by, because the OEM contis are already wearing down with 27K miles on it and I don't have the cash for summer tires, winter tires and winter rims. Hopefully I can't get it all for next winter.

and you're right, it's always the next guy on the road you have to worry about, but I am pretty cautious in inclement weather, I never push the car and I'll drive 30MPH if I have to. I'm actually a very good driver, my job requires I do EVOC driving courses, and I tend to know the limitations of the vehicles I drive. But i definitely appreciate your insight on safety and risks. Believe, I appreciate it!!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
In that case, DWS will optimize your situation within those constraints. If all four of your rims are no wider than 7.5", you can use 215/50-17 all around instead of the original 225/45-17. Sounds like you wouldn't miss the tire width for three seasons, and the narrower tread will give you an advantage in the winter. If you have staggered or wider rims than 7.5", this tire size approach won't work.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
In that case, DWS will optimize your situation within those constraints. If all four of your rims are no wider than 7.5", you can use 215/50-17 all around instead of the original 225/45-17. Sounds like you wouldn't miss the tire width for three seasons, and the narrower tread will give you an advantage in the winter. If you have staggered or wider rims than 7.5", this tire size approach won't work.
yeah, i got the staggered sport setup. I'm also considering the goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric all seasons. but I've been reading up on both, the good years and the conti DWS.