C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2nd cat delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
2nd cat delete

I wanted more sound from my c300, so i put an x-pipe in. I loved it but i wanted more, got the mufflers removed, hated the sound, sounded like a beat up ghetto civic, so i put them back on, but now i've done more research into removing the 2nd cat, but i'm kinda confused on what exactly that is.... Is there a difference between the catalytic converters than the secondary catalytic converter? Please explain, because I plan on going to the shop to get an estimate, and I wanna tell the guys to remove the correct part.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by colt45_
I wanted more sound from my c300, so i put an x-pipe in. I loved it but i wanted more, got the mufflers removed, hated the sound, sounded like a beat up ghetto civic, so i put them back on, but now i've done more research into removing the 2nd cat, but i'm kinda confused on what exactly that is.... Is there a difference between the catalytic converters than the secondary catalytic converter? Please explain, because I plan on going to the shop to get an estimate, and I wanna tell the guys to remove the correct part.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 C300 '14 E63S '08 E92 M3
Why dont you get an aftermarket kit?

You can get some Magnaflow Mufflers for like 200$

click the link on my signature if you wanna know what it sounds like
Old 11-22-2014, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
Keep your mufflers, cut secondary cars and put x-pipe in there place. The x pipe should be as far up as possible after the primaries. You will need to add bungs into the exhaust piping and good quality elbows in order to screw your downstream 02 sensors in. If you don't do this your car will run with check engine light and you will not pass inspection. If you do decide the remove the secondary cats you will lose low end torque and back pressure so I don't recommend it on a stock vehicle. If sound is your main concern than she'll out the extra cash and get a new exhaust system entirely like a meistershaft or another axle back system. Once you start playing with cats things get really hairy if you don't fully understand how exhaust works, believe me I've been through it and I'm still working things out. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:07 AM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
Keep your mufflers, cut secondary cars and put x-pipe in there place. The x pipe should be as far up as possible after the primaries. You will need to add bungs into the exhaust piping and good quality elbows in order to screw your downstream 02 sensors in. If you don't do this your car will run with check engine light and you will not pass inspection. If you do decide the remove the secondary cats you will lose low end torque and back pressure so I don't recommend it on a stock vehicle. If sound is your main concern than she'll out the extra cash and get a new exhaust system entirely like a meistershaft or another axle back system. Once you start playing with cats things get really hairy if you don't fully understand how exhaust works, believe me I've been through it and I'm still working things out. Hope this helps.
You have any suggestions for a different axle back system? and how much will that affect the sound? Ideally i was just gonna do the 2nd cat delete, but I didn't know it was that difficult.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 AM

2010 White C300 Sport

this is the kinda sound im going for.

Another thing: you said if i removed the 2nd cats, i would lose low end torque and back pressure, how much will that affect my car's performance speed wise? I know c300s aren't fast, but I definitely don't wanna make it any slower. Or is the loss of the low end toque not gonna be noticeable?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
Quite a bit actually, your pickup would be bad, you may get a little extra hp but it would only be noticable over 80mph. You could always put in some universal mufflers. Remus makes some or you could go with magnaflow or something. Unless you plan on upgrading the headers I really don't reccomend removing any cats. The exhaust on German cars are built with back pressure in mind so unless you increase the amount of air coming in to the exhaust stream your just losing back pressure and therefore low end torque. Also just removing the secondaries won't do much for the sound other than make it louder. What you could do is swap out to new mufflers and swap your stock resonater with an x-pipe. It will give the car a slightly more exotic sound.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
Originally Posted by Skyline45
yes why?
it does not enlarge your manhood
It does not attract girls
All you are talking about is adding noise and air pollution to the atmosphere
Old 11-26-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C300 Sport
Check out Tony at Motordyne OP; if you know about exhausts you'd know backpressure is a very incorrect term to use. It's a falsehood and a term just thrown around. Scavenging and proper flow (velocity) with Helmholtz and such is a different story. Deleting everything is a must! For power as long as your scavenging is kept up and the system flows. You can make as much power as another system in pipe size as long as the exhaust flows correctly.

Last edited by Synolimit; 11-26-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by colt45_
C300 Custom Exhaust - Cold Start - YouTube

this is the kinda sound im going for.

Another thing: you said if i removed the 2nd cats, i would lose low end torque and back pressure, how much will that affect my car's performance speed wise? I know c300s aren't fast, but I definitely don't wanna make it any slower. Or is the loss of the low end toque not gonna be noticeable?
This is my car!

Everything hitokiri89 says is true, but doesn't apply to our cars in the case of "2nd cats". What the W204 community calls our "2nd cats" are actually small "resonators". Being that they are actually resonators, deleting these will NOT result in a change in airflow causing a decrease in back pressure. It will ONLY result in a change of sound. (EDIT: hitokiri89 may have read your reply wrong, because it sounds like he is still talking about primary cats, whereas the question in your reply refers to "2nd cats".)

Anyways, my exhaust in that vid has the "2nd cats" deleted (replaced with straight pipes) and the center resonator deleted (replaced with a universal Magnaflow x-pipe). I would have liked the x-pipe to be placed in place of the "2nd cats", but there wasn't enough room. But honestly, there probably would have been no difference anyways.

You should totally do this mod! Adds a lot of character to the exhaust note. Lots of grumbles and gurgles at low speeds. It's loud, but it's nowhere near what I would consider obnoxiously loud.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
I actually did mean the secondaries, and they are cats being that take read an 02 signal that's reported back to your cars computer. If you remove them you will have a two less obstacles in the way of your exhaust flow, which will result in a loss of low end power. You may have increased power under wot but only at the high rpm and at higher speeds like on the highway. Trust me, removing them is a pain in the *** if you plan to pass inspection. You need is tall bungs to accept the 02 sensors of you do. I'm talking from experience, I just don't want anyone to have to go through the same bs I had to. The c300 is low on power to begin with, why decrease your performance for sound ? If your going to play with cats then just do the whole exhaust. At least that way you'll gain a few hp to balance everything out. Also you might want to get a tune as well so it will be running properly.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 c300 4matic
I have magna flow race mufflers connected to an x pipe connected to a secondary cat delete

- there is drone
- it has a deeper sound to it
- it has a nice scream at the higher rpm
- you pass inspection fine since the O2 sensors are in the primary cats.
- does not sound similar to a straight piped c300
Old 11-29-2014, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
I actually did mean the secondaries, and they are cats being that take read an 02 signal that's reported back to your cars computer. If you remove them you will have a two less obstacles in the way of your exhaust flow, which will result in a loss of low end power. You may have increased power under wot but only at the high rpm and at higher speeds like on the highway. Trust me, removing them is a pain in the *** if you plan to pass inspection. You need is tall bungs to accept the 02 sensors of you do. I'm talking from experience, I just don't want anyone to have to go through the same bs I had to. The c300 is low on power to begin with, why decrease your performance for sound ? If your going to play with cats then just do the whole exhaust. At least that way you'll gain a few hp to balance everything out. Also you might want to get a tune as well so it will be running properly.
I'm not saying you're wrong about the downsides of removing cats, but our cars don't have secondary catalytic converters, and the O2 bung is after the primary cats, if I'm not mistaken. I think the exhaust part that the OP is talking about is the 2 small resonators that are just upstream of the main resonator. Those weren't obstacles for exhaust flow, because they were just your run-of-the-mill straight-through resonators, and those are the ones I removed, and I have no problem with inspection in NC.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C300 Sport
If you guys have drone and rasp its a easy fix. Google Helmholtz resonators. Branch resonators at the correct length for the rpm it drones at is also a easy fix.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd cat delete-image.jpg  
Old 05-16-2020, 02:37 PM

w204 c300
Originally Posted by Richard2011
This is my car!

Everything hitokiri89 says is true, but doesn't apply to our cars in the case of "2nd cats". What the W204 community calls our "2nd cats" are actually small "resonators". Being that they are actually resonators, deleting these will NOT result in a change in airflow causing a decrease in back pressure. It will ONLY result in a change of sound. (EDIT: hitokiri89 may have read your reply wrong, because it sounds like he is still talking about primary cats, whereas the question in your reply refers to "2nd cats".)

Anyways, my exhaust in that vid has the "2nd cats" deleted (replaced with straight pipes) and the center resonator deleted (replaced with a universal Magnaflow x-pipe). I would have liked the x-pipe to be placed in place of the "2nd cats", but there wasn't enough room. But honestly, there probably would have been no difference anyways.

You should totally do this mod! Adds a lot of character to the exhaust note. Lots of grumbles and gurgles at low speeds. It's loud, but it's nowhere near what I would consider obnoxiously loud.

Hi,
does anyone know if removing the secondary catalytic converter will trip the check engine light?