C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Quick Question about Transfer Case!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300
Quick Question about Transfer Case!!!

I have a 2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sedan.....long story short, I took the car because it was whining up acceleration..........they called me back said and recommended I get a get a new tranny and TC. I said no because its not worth putting $6700 into it. BUT the discharge papers said the TC is whining because of bad bearings. So shouldn't I just get that fixed? My tranny feels fine....... no slipping or anything. How much would it cost just to fix the bearings on the TC case? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by projectswift
I have a 2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic Sedan.....long story short, I took the car because it was whining up acceleration..........they called me back said and recommended I get a get a new tranny and TC. I said no because its not worth putting $6700 into it. BUT the discharge papers said the TC is whining because of bad bearings. So shouldn't I just get that fixed? My tranny feels fine....... no slipping or anything. How much would it cost just to fix the bearings on the TC case? Thanks in advance!
It might be fine now, but it will go out if it's already whining. You might be able to save it by getting the TC and Tranny flushed, but idk it might already be too late. It sounds like the TC was not flushed properly like how the WIS outlays during the proper maintenance periods. A lot of Mercedes dealership over look the 4matic's TC because they're so used to only working on RWD tranny's or are just too lazy to flush the additional fluid. Idk how you purchased it or if it's too late to take it back, but I'd seriously start trying to find a way to get a new Tranny system before you have a nice looking paper weight in your driveway.

Also, the TC and Tranny are too integrated with each other. Which is why Mercedes always wants to replace both when either need work.

Last edited by Skyline45; 01-29-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by projectswift
if you have the original transmission still the transfer case is not serviceable.
must be replaced with a remanufactured transmission . the transfer case in the remanufactured transmission is serviceable. rebuild able.