C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Check engine warning lamp is on

Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 Lux
Check engine warning lamp is on

Does anybody have any suggestions?

The yellow check engine warning lamp of my 2012 C300 lights up while the engine is running. This started to happen on Sunday when the weather was very cold. I smelled something scorched a few mins after the car was drove off. I didn't pay much attention as the smell was very light and I thought it was due to the bus in front of me (it could very well be from that bus). A few mins later, I noticed that the "yellow check engine warning lamp" was lit.

I stopped the car and checked the fuel cap and didn't find anything wrong. I rested it for 10 mins and then restarted it, but the light still came on. The manual says,
"
There may be a malfunction, for example,
- in the engine management
- in the fuel injection system
- in the exhaust system
- in the ignition system
- in the fuel system
The emission limit values may be exceeded and the engine may be running in emergency mode.
"

As I was 60 miles away from home and it was a cold Sunday afternoon, I decided to drive on and come home. Everything seemed to work normally except the warning lamp, and I didn't smell anything peculiar.

The car is still under manufacturer warranty. I called the dealer today to schedule an appointment. I have two choices for the appointment date: a) Wednesday but no loaner car; b) next week with a loaner car.

As I need the car for everyday's commute, I need a loaner if the fix takes time. Without a loaner means that I will have to take 1-2 days off from work. At the other end, simply waiting until next week seems too long.

Is the engine problem minor (which I hope so) that I can continue to use the car until next week's appointment, or it is best that I play safe and have it checked this Wednesday?

I know there is no sure answer until the car is checked. But I will appreciate if you can share your experiences or provide any suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
It's under warranty....bring it to the dealer. Hopefully, it is a small problem that they can fix while you wait at the dealer.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 4matic Sport
There is no way to tell until codes are pulled. Take it to the dealer. It will be fine unless the check engine light starts flashing.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
This is why you get one of these...

http://techpp.com/2014/03/18/obd-apps/

I personally use OBD Fusion, and have been able to diagnose and reset my own light.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 c300 4matic sport
Originally Posted by kev10
Does anybody have any suggestions?

The yellow check engine warning lamp of my 2012 C300 lights up while the engine is running. This started to happen on Sunday when the weather was very cold. I smelled something scorched a few mins after the car was drove off. I didn't pay much attention as the smell was very light and I thought it was due to the bus in front of me (it could very well be from that bus). A few mins later, I noticed that the "yellow check engine warning lamp" was lit.

I stopped the car and checked the fuel cap and didn't find anything wrong. I rested it for 10 mins and then restarted it, but the light still came on. The manual says,
"
There may be a malfunction, for example,
- in the engine management
- in the fuel injection system
- in the exhaust system
- in the ignition system
- in the fuel system
The emission limit values may be exceeded and the engine may be running in emergency mode.
"

As I was 60 miles away from home and it was a cold Sunday afternoon, I decided to drive on and come home. Everything seemed to work normally except the warning lamp, and I didn't smell anything peculiar.

The car is still under manufacturer warranty. I called the dealer today to schedule an appointment. I have two choices for the appointment date: a) Wednesday but no loaner car; b) next week with a loaner car.

As I need the car for everyday's commute, I need a loaner if the fix takes time. Without a loaner means that I will have to take 1-2 days off from work. At the other end, simply waiting until next week seems too long.

Is the engine problem minor (which I hope so) that I can continue to use the car until next week's appointment, or it is best that I play safe and have it checked this Wednesday?

I know there is no sure answer until the car is checked. But I will appreciate if you can share your experiences or provide any suggestions.

Thanks.
I would deffinetly get the loaner car if its actualy gonna take over night then you can get to drive the new c
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by edgalang
This is why you get one of these...

http://techpp.com/2014/03/18/obd-apps/

I personally use OBD Fusion, and have been able to diagnose and reset my own light.