C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rattling noise on cold startup, $4k Repair job quoted.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 (2010)
Rattling noise on cold startup, $4k Repair job quoted.

Hey Everyone!

Firstly, you guys are intense! The number of times I've used this forum to get solutions to problems or just general knowhow for my car has been innumerable over the last few years! This car is my first ever baby, first european, first non junker and its been a hell of a ride!

I've been having a small issue with it however and even after searching can't really find out whats wrong, took it in to the dealer to have it assessed, got charged $300 for him to tell me its a $4000 repair.

The Issue:
I went overseas for a month, gave the car to my father to drive around. He knows the ins and out and what fuel it needs etc, he;s driven it many times before no issues.

I get back and every time i start up the car, I hear this noise on startup! [Click for Video].

It only happens on 'cold' starts, goes away almost immediately and the car seems to run fine. Searching the forums and other forums that are similar, I basically found out that it could be oil pressure drop, Cam shaft timers, fuel seals and a whole range of things.

The car is currently at the dealers, I'm about to go pick it up in a few hours and try and find out what they diagnosed it with, but just wondering, what the heck is going on? He mentioned on the phone that it was something to do with how the exhaust connects to the engine and the whole thing needs to be replaced or something, I said i'll speak to him when I get in.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!! How urgent is something like this to fix? Can i just run it and trade it in after a few months / a year?

Sorry if I missed an obvious post with the answer, I did try to search quite thoroughly just couldn't find a scenario close enough to mine

Thanks Again!
- Kash

Edit:
Some info on the car!

C200 W204 2010.
ran about 100k kms (60k miles)
I did recently have the steering fluid leak due to a faulty seal. (Twice) incase you feel this is related!

Last edited by misterkash; 04-30-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C180 CGI
Hi Misterkash

I have the same problems. 204 C180 CGI (Turbo)The solution is "Cam shaft timer systems". Timing chain, timing gear(specially this one make a problems), and tensioner. And change the oil and oil filter. You have to choose correct engine oil (in Turkey 5w-30 or 5w-40 oil specification we use)
1.İf use the wrong oil, when the engine is hot, oil gone be hot and too liquids. Oil cant be fullup the timing gear inside. When the stops hot engine, oil come back to the rezervoir.
2. Timing gear cant be hold the oil inside.
Best regards from Turkey and sorry my english...

You are right its too expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Aussierob (07-16-2020)
Old 05-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 300 4 matic
the sound you hear is made by a bad lifter, I would live with it as the fix is quite expensive
Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
W204 C200, BMW E30 M3, 1980Gt Mini, Toyota Corona, KTM 200 EXC.
Hi,
Do you have you any news on this issue, I think as a minimum changing the oil and filter.
the noise could be a few things but exhaust would not be on my list and your Dad borrowing it is not related to the problem you have.
I think I would trade it in than spend 4000 especially is they are not 100% certain of the problem.