C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

08 C300 EIS THEN ESL

Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c300
08 C300 EIS THEN ESL

So my car is having the famous won't start issue. Everything turns on fine on the dash and radio, but it wouldn't start. I had it towed to my local dealership after talking about the EIS vs steering lock prices and hoping its the cheaper one that's the problem. He called and told me it's the EIS and not steering wheel that's messed up and after a 15% discount, it will cost me around $1300 which is about $400 more than the estimate. I call today to check the status on the parts. I was told that the EIS was replaced and the car turns on fine, but they can't get the steering wheel to unlock and the car is giving a code for the steering lock to be replaced. He said it was only the 2nd time he's seen that both needed to be replaced, but I don't get it.

I would think that you would test both parts to see which one was the issue and tell me both need replacement from the beginning since I was telling them either one can be the issue after all the research I did. I find it odd that he said when they intially diagnosed it, they were getting a code for EIS replacement, but now they are getting a code for ESL replacement. I talked to a friend who knows a lot about cars and he's wondering if they misdiagnosed initially or broke the ESL while replacing EIS. What do you guys think? I feel like I'm getting ripped off. Could the steering lock issue only be discovered after the EIS was replaced or should they have been able to tell me from the beginning that both were messed up?

TIA
rani

Last edited by ranik; 05-30-2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 05-30-2015, 02:23 PM

2008 c300
Originally Posted by euroluxuryauto
Hi Rani,

It's unfortunate but the dealerships are trained to replace components at the customer's expense. There is very little knowledge in the market when it comes to these components.

The issue is your ESL which is possible to be repaired. My company is currently in the process of becoming a Sponsor on this forum so I can post in the technical services area. We intend to expand significantly given the demand and the prices customers are faced with spending.

All the best.

Ronnie
www.euroluxuryauto.com
Do you think they may have misdiagnosed it as a EIS issue initially and it should have just been the ESL.

Rani
Old 05-31-2015, 10:48 AM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by euroluxuryauto
Hi Rani,

It's unfortunate but the dealerships are trained to replace components at the customer's expense. There is very little knowledge in the market when it comes to these components.

The issue is your ESL which is possible to be repaired. My company is currently in the process of becoming a Sponsor on this forum so I can post in the technical services area. We intend to expand significantly given the demand and the prices customers are faced with spending.

All the best.

Ronnie
www.euroluxuryauto.com
It would be great if the EIS/ESL problem could be repaired instead of replaced for $1900+ at the dealer. I note your company is in Toronto. How would the repairable parts get to you? Are you thinking of indy shops taking the steering column and/or dash apart and sending you the repairable parts? Is this a feasible solution given the time involved for shipping, customs, and skills of an average indy shop? Anyway, good luck with this venture.